Re: Percentage of SA electricity stolen ?

problems@gmail wrote:

Bob Dubery wrote:

I mean in the context of the current crisis: as a factor/excuse NOW. The theft of CABLES was advertised-against. And the illegal connections were condemned mostly in the context of DANGER - continuing the idea that electricity like water is god-given and not a commodity subject to economic laws - part of the leftist's human-rights myth.

The quote marks mean THINK beyond the abreviated [inet-style] text. In long-hand: "30% of generated electricy power [less transmission losses] is estimated to be diverted to illegal connections". Besides the 'Subject:' refers to percentage electricity stolen, NOT percentage illegal connections.

Google is the name of a [currently] very effective search engine. In order to use google, one needs to supply parameters: typically word[s] or phrases. In the case that an applicable but uncommon word is on hand, this may be effectively used as a search parameter. When no suitable word[s] are on hand, a phrase might succeed to locate the required material, at the same time omitting irrelevant material. Since Google is an uncommon word and has become familiar with inet/newsGroup users, I assume the word "goog" will be recognised as an abreviated for "Google" ..................

"green goes out" sounds like "switch off" to me ?
Perhaps you think the switching mechanism is in each pole with the lights. Technology would make this possible/and-cheaper today. But the indusrty is very conservative.
Since there is typically more than one 'pole' bearing lights at an intersection, this 'system of poles' needs to be mutually syncronised. Which means one controlling master and one or more controlled slaves. Which means that at least one light-pole is remote from the switching mechanism. Which means that any wire feeding a slave pole which is live at some time can be expected to be non-live at a different time of the cycle. Which would switch of Phinias' TV.
Technically a control signal, plus a constantly live single pair to power, a pole is possible, and is more economical with the price ratio of copper to electronic circuitry. But many/most existing systems don't do this yet AFAIK.

There's a thing which I need to have explained to me: how/why: 'you have to assume that a "traffic-light cycle" is a uniform measure of time' ??
BTW "do new TV's 'show' " translates/expands to: * the new technology [possibly faster], * stabilise electrically/optically sufficient to show the image.
Older CRTs [cathode ray tubes] would not have sufficient time to heat up the cathode element in a normal [take your pick: red, green, amber on cycle ...]. Oh shit I can't continue these kindergarten explanations !
problems@gmail wrote:

Moira de Swardt wrote:-

Perhaps you mean that if the green light 'goes off' this is compensated for by the corresponding red light 'going on', which tend to make the electricity consumption constant. Which seems to me an interesting observation but not relevant to the discussion ?

I believe it is, but please elaborate.

The nearest street light would be nearer [on average] than the nearest traffic-light-pole, which would be nearer than the nearest substation.
Based on observations in Joburg, many light-pole cover plates are missing, exposing the wires since the ANC was given political control. I guess the street light poles are mostly centrally controlled, although I've heard of one's which switch individually via their own day-light detectors.
So ! If Phinias wants electricy supply during the day, he has problems to locate a mostly live line. Perhaps he's at a low traffic location, where the default is steady and cycling is initiatied by [rare] traffic.
I'm cross-posting this to to some tech-groups to spread the laughter.
== Chris Glur. .....be happy, don't worry.

An interesting story concerning electricity theft was posted in the New York Times today (2/10).
A spokesman for Consolidated Edison said... "Of those 88942 cases, 11371 were confirmed as thefts, including 104 referred for prosecution. There were 83 arrests and convictions."
11371 cases of confirmed electricity thefts in just one company service area?! My God! There must be electrical thieves in every neighborhood. Is it really that easy to do?
I could see this happening in 3rd world places like parts of Mexico or India where sometimes the utility wiring is slipshod, even on the primary side, but why is this happening in places like New York City and Long Island?
Also, it sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do. If you are a renter or an owner who does something illegal like this on your property, the evidence is going to be left there for the investigators. It's not like you can run away and abandon your property...
Beachcomber
On Feb 11, 6:52 am, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.none (Beachcomber) wrote:

I should think that depends on the legal definitions. Who is responsible if a tenant makes an illegal connection?
And it might not be that visible. It's not necessarily going straight to the main supply. Say some tenant, let's call him "Glur", hasn't paid and the feed to his apartment is cut off by dint of throwing and then padlocking some circuit breaker. All that's required is about a foot of flex, in the meter room, bypassing that switch. Or a connection to somebody else's switch so that some other person is being billed for the power.
And what would spark an investigation? When the amount collected from a building doesn't correlate with the usage. So what if the landlord is one of these exploitive types who sticks a family in each room and childless couples in the broom closets? He's probably charging them an exorbitant rent anyway, and just pays one bill for the whole apartment. He's probably factored in electricity consumption already, and if some sucker wants to be honest and pay twice then why complain?
(Beachcomber) wrote:

So that means it's not taboo [politically incorrect with racial implications] to discuss it there ? I know that it's regularly mentioned as a factor impeding India's industrialisation.

Not so, they tap-in 'before' their meter, or fiddle the meter.
And re. abandoning buildings, but not for electricity supply reasons, we know that large areas of NY were abanoned in the 70's. Since also many buidings were abandoned here in new-SA, after the ANC was handed power and encouraged their supporters to squat; I tried to get information of how it eventually 'unfolded' in NY. One could learn from those who 'walk ahead'. But I could never get any information from NYkers. It's like when I visited Russsia in 1998, they all pretended not to know about communism and implied that it was just my imagination.

| 11371 cases of confirmed electricity thefts in just one company | service area?! My God! There must be electrical thieves in every | neighborhood. Is it really that easy to do? | | I could see this happening in 3rd world places like parts of Mexico or | India where sometimes the utility wiring is slipshod, even on the | primary side, but why is this happening in places like New York City | and Long Island?
It's not necessarily just running your own wires up the pole. It can be simply bypassing the meter, or rigging it for reduced billing in the hope that the computer doesn't kick out a zero billing.
| Also, it sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do. If you are a renter | or an owner who does something illegal like this on your property, the | evidence is going to be left there for the investigators. It's not | like you can run away and abandon your property...
In some cases it can be rent squatters. People break into a unit that is unoccupied. Then they connect up the electricity, too.
says...

Sure. Give me an hour in the basement of a tenement building... I might even do it safely.

Because free is "good"?

Run the odds from the above numbers. 83 prosecutions out of 88,000 cases means there is less than a .1% chance of being prosecuted. Sure beats holding up a gas station for $40, or even a bank for $4000.
--
Keith