What is it? Set 485

I need help with three of them this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2825 - can crusher?

dan

Reply to
dan pines

2823- glassblowers shears/shapers

2825- oil (or other) can crusher

Reply to
spamTHISbrp
2821 would work well as a cable clamp. Loop the braided or twisted cable through an eye, and come back. Put this clamp on, and your lashup is secure. 2822, maybe a trailer wheel? 2823, looks a lot like early suture clippers, but don't think this is such a device. 2824, maybe for breaking up soil in a garden? 2825, not a very good picture. Vaguely resembles an old civil defense siren. 2826, what a lousy picture. Maybe a spectrometer, for determining sugar solutions?

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I saw a youtube video a few days ago;

Dennis

2825 is a homemade power can crusher. You drop the beer/soda can into the trough, the cycling ram crushes it and once crushed it falls through the gap in the end of the trough into the drum below.
Reply to
Pete C.

Correct, I did a screen capture on the video that Dennis posted.

Reply to
Rob H.

That's what I was thinking but I haven't been able to find another one to prove it.

Reply to
Rob H.

I agree with the person who said that for the last can he should have used one that was full and unopened.

Reply to
Rob H.

The photobucket larger images are still out of reach for me, even with the latest FireFox for my system. (19.0.2, FWIW.) Probably PhotoBucket wants my system to run a program, and if it is an Intel chip based program, I *can't* run it on an UltraSPARC in any way

-- even if I were willing to do so. :-)

2821) Looks to me like a tool for forming a pair of fingers on either side of a gap. The first photographed one puts a 'V' shape into the fingers.

The one in Figure 3 appears to simply twist them to an angle.

The notch in the thumbnut obviously has a function, since it has a letter assigned in figures 1 and 2. Perhaps to allow a steel rod or bar to give more leverage when closing it.

The second photo (with only on clamp space, and no notch in the wingnut) seems to be the twist instead of "form a V" style, too.

If there were not sharp projections on the indenters in all shown, I would have thought that the first was for clamping onto two round rods, and serving as some kind of stop..

I would think that the notch in the wingnut was for sliding on some third rod, if I were not for the fact that it would be at varying angles depending on the thickness of what is clamped.

2822) I'll bet that the wheel's diameter is actually 11.459" -- so it will roll out precisely one yard per revolutions. The various metal tabs appear to be for some mechanism counting the rotations to measure distance. Looks as though it provides power to a pattern of loops or capacitive electrodes similar to what is found inside the handle of modern digital calipers.

2823) Inverted bulb planting tongs?

Likely to clean out the ID of a hole -- either removing dirt, or other debris.

2824) Some sort of curry comb for a lawn?

Or for scraping clean a slot of some sort.

2825) No other views?

The box to the left near the far end is a typical weatherproof electrical connection box. Looks like only a single wire going into it -- and a connection to the near end on the outside.

Perhaps some kind of siren or horn for vehicles?

2826) This one looks as though it is intended to slide along a surface (perhaps with some kind of edge guide on the bottom), and the knurled wheel to the right near end rolls on the surface turning the leadscrew. This moves the eyepiece (which should be in the dark hole, though it is hard to tell with the phtotos). The eyepiece should have a hairline in it, which is viewed against the measuring scale, reading how far the knurled roller has moved.

Are the three scales different systems (e.g. metric vs Imperial vs some other system), or are they just various convenient divisions of one scale? (say fractional vs decimal inch divisions.)

If the knurled roller does not project enough through the bottom to roll on a surface, then I would presume that there is a view through the optical barrel of the item to something distant. Hmm ... perhaps it is a gunsight for a large field piece? In that case, the scales might be for different projectile/powder combinations -- especially if it is an elevation angle measuring device.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Still not sure about two of them but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Item 2626: See

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Thanks, I'll forward this on to the owner of it.

Reply to
Rob H.

In case you haven't found these patents yet:

Leon Fisk

A couple generations ago, they were probably totally obvious to anyone living at that time. Amazing, how much wisdom gets lost.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks Leon, I'll send these to the person who submitted the photos.

Reply to
Rob H.