ER16 Vs ER16M

What is the difference between ER16 and ER16M?

On 3/20/2013 4:05 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: > What is the difference between ER16 and ER16M? >
I don't know why, but sometimes my posts don't show up. I hope this one does as I am re-sending it for the second time.
ER16A is a hex nut. Coarse thread.
ER16UM is a coarse thread "castle" type nut where you need a spanner wrench made for the nut.
ER16M is a mini nut with a fine thread for close C-C.
There are also special hex mini-nuts with the fine thread.
See these links:
Hex or SLOT nuts (A or UM): http://www.techniksusa.com/metal/pwrctnt.htm
Mini or M: http://www.techniksusa.com/metal/cnaemn.htm
This video shows a UM nut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzrFefApyQc

This video shows a hex nut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxstxpvf4zI

This video shows an M nut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ljr3lH4PI

Of course, these are not all ER16, but you get the point.
ER8 is available in mini or hex-mini
ER11 is available in hex, mini or hex-mini
ER16 is available in hex, mini, slot or hex-mini
ER20 is available in hex, mini, slot or hex-mini
ER25 is available in slot, mini or hex-mini
ER32 is available in slot, or hex-mini
ER40 and ER50 are available in slot only as far as I know.
There are also some special nuts for close C-C coarse thread applications, but they are made by special vendors only.
--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,

Very well posted Sir! Bravo!! And I thank you as well. Saved!!
Gunner

ER16 is larger than the ER16M..nuts are smaller as well on the ER16M as I recall.
The ER16M is for more delicate work and closer entry. Best as I can recall. I dont see em much except in swiss shops
This may help
http://productivity.com/Tooling/ToolingFiles.ashx?catalog=Rego-Fix%20Straight%20Shank%20Tools%20Catalog%20Section.pdf
Gunner
Might we have a bit more context?
What is the difference between ER16 and ER16M?

We might, but Joe already answered the question quite adequately. I also got an email with a simpler version of the same answer from Andy at Ugra CNC.