What is it? Set 270

Might be another difficult set, I need help figuring out three of them this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1534 is the compressor in a jet engine or gas turbine 1535 looks very like a transmission stand for supporting the transmission or engine when you're working under a car on a ramp. However it isn't tall enough for a car on a ramp at head height so you can stand under it. Same type of principle though.
Reply to
Dave Baker

1531. Wireless microphone / bug perhaps a kit. No mic visible. Maybe a fox hunt transmitter.
Reply to
K Ludger
1532 Radio Communications Receiver. Separate front end tuners for various bands. Band select switch. BFO switch for listening to CW code transmissions.

1534 Part of a cut-away turbine rotor.

1536 Guess... electrical firing trigger for a gun (cannon). Imagine that it might be used in the turret of a WW-II Japanese warship. Thumb safety, pull trigger to make bang.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
1531 Maybe the card out of a garage door opener. Or a far off vier of my wife's cosmetics mess on the tray next to the bathroom sink.
Reply to
joelblatt

That's a better guess than mine...I was thinking of a black-powder starter's pistol, with the thumb mechanism as a backup for false starts. But the construcion and style sure says 'military' to me....

Now I'm looking at either some sort of igniter to start old prop planes (I don't know why I have this fixation that it uses powder...) or else a trigger to set off explosives. The thumb trigger is the safety/secondary.

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

BTW, a Mandar "The first character $B0B(B is likely the phonetic rendering of some kind of firearm (?) made by a company that starts with the sound "An"-- Anderson? The second character $B

Reply to
humunculus

Well, I don't feel quite as clueless as sometimes, but that's not saying very much!

1531 - Quite obviously a little electronic circuit of some sort. It appears to me to likely be a radio circuit, perhaps a cheap transistor radio receiver, but it's impossible--at least for me--to tell without being able to deduce a schematic for it. It may also be an amplifier or timer or a host of other things. 1532 - Some sort of portable RF equipment, possibly an RF frequency signal generator for testing other equipment. There are rather clearly eight RF generator circuits covering a wide range of frequencies, but it's not clear what the part in the upper-left is intended to do; it may permit modulation of the RF. 1533 - Well, you hold the handle and....ummm.... 1534 - Obviously some manner of a turbine; it doesn't look especially sturdy to me, so I'll guess it's a large turbine air compressor. 1535 - I was initially going to say a piano stool minus the seat, but it's too tall for that. Probably it's for an adjustable table of some sort, maybe intended for a typewriter or such like. 1536 - Maybe a part of a paint spraying outfit? Seems quite complicated for that, though.

Now to read other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1531: DTMF circuit from an early touch tone phone?

1535: Typewriter table (I grew up with one of these. Pain to adjust)

Reply to
enl_public
1532: Electronic intelligence or Communications intelligence (ELINT/COMINT) receiver with plug-in front-end modules to cover a total of 0.3 MHz (300 kHz) to 1600 MHz. Possibly Watkins-Johnson.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

1531 I am going to guess at a receiver judging by the coil and the variable cap. 1532 amateur radio receiver 1533 ? 1534 some kind of turbine? 1535 I am tempted to say it a chair mechanism but i doubt its that simple. 1536 ?
Reply to
Dwayne

Thanks! I was hoping someone would be able to translate that for us. I agree with those who think it's some type of warship trigger. The owner of it found it on a shelf in the cellar of an old adobe in Colorado.

-----

Below are links to a few photos of an usual object someone found in California, not sure if it really has a purpose or not , but I am a little curious as to what it might be:

The owner's description: "It is 6" long exactly, with the small end being 3/4" in diameter and the large end being 1" in diameter. It is hollow all the way with the small hole being 5/16" in diameter and the large hole being 5/8" in diameter. With the insert installed the large end is 1-1/4" from the large end of the insert. The insert is 1-1/2" long."

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1531) A small printed circuit board featuring two transistors (at least), a small trimmer capacitor and a low inductance coil as well as assorted caps and resistors. This could be anything working at a VHF frequency. I do not see a crystal, so likely a front end amplifier of some sort. 1532) A wide-range signal generator with output regulation and modulation facility 1533) A toothbrush for very bad gingivitis

1534) A turbine. GOK for what purpose.

1535) A Jack - there is a coarse and fine (screw) height adjustment. OTOH a table top may be missing...

1536) A firing mechanism of some sort. I interpret the kanji as Japanese meaning "cheap model"

Reply to
Michael Koblic

1531 A spy "bug"

1532 Mason AB3 countersurveillance receiver

1536 A trigger for a large naval gun
Reply to
Jim Stewart

"Rob H." scribbled:

1531. spy camera
Reply to
usablevirus

I agree that this is most likely the answer, but it has proven to be a difficult one to verify. The rest of the answers, except for number 1533, have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I think you got 1532 wrong. It's not for listening in on friendly bugs, it's for detecting hostile bugs. It's a modular receiver that can scan the entire spectrum from 1 mhz to 1600 mhz. A friendly bug receiver would only tune to either the band or specific frequency of the bug.

This picture...

Shows the receiver in the lower right side of the briefcase with a whip antenna connected to the

12-43 Mhz input.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Posting (somewhat late) from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

I'll look at the other guesses *after* I make and enter my own.

1531) A very compact circuit for one with discrete components.

It looks to include a RF tuned circuit (the coil in the lower right-hand corner and the object just to the upper right which appears to be a tuning capacitor.

Guesses are:

1) Telemetry transmitter for model rockets or similar. 2) Spy transmitter, if one of those difficult to see components happens to be a microphone. 3) Perhaps a transmitter to allow tracking a vehicle.

1532) Multi-band receiver -- capable of monitoring signals in up to eight bands -- with plug-ins to select the bands, so you could tune to multiple signals within a single band with the proper plug-ins.

Looks like older military gear.

1533) No clue -- but I don't think that I would want it use on me. :-)

1534) Turbine assembly. While it could be steam, the visible portion of the cut-away exterior makes it look like a jet engine.

1535) Color makes it look to be military in origin.

I think that the four arms take screws to secure a table at an adjustable height -- perhaps for sighting equipment on a map on the table.

1536) The material suggests nautical use. The paddle is a safety which has to be depressed prior to pulling the trigger.

My guess is that this is the firing mechanism for a harpoon gun, used in more recent whale hunting. It attaches by the projection opposite the handgrip to allow aiming of the harpoon gun.

Now to see what others have posted, and then to read the answers, which appear to already be posted, since I see the link for them is the color to indicate an active link.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I really don't know enough about it to agree or disagree with your comment. I took the photo at a military museum, here is the uncropped shot which shows the museum's description:

I'm sure it's possible that it's not marked correctly, or maybe it was used for both purposes and they offer just a partial explanation of it. Thanks for the link, they had some good stuff there.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

The museum is description is likely accurate, but incomplete.

Such a receiver certainly could be used to monitor a bug. There are much less expensive single band (or even single frequency) (and portable) receivers used for that purpose, however.

We used to call this type of receiver "DC to Daylight".

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal