What is it? Set 449

I need help with three of them this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

That's a hard set.

Reply to
kfvorwerk

2606 Turkish coffee pot
Reply to
Rose
2605, really no clue. Maybe a plug for some kind of barrel tap? 2606, what a miserable picture to try and make out any detail. That said, it's a pacifier for adult bulls. 2607, first thought was a tractor fuel filter. But.... maybe not? 2608, is either a barrel bung plug, or a bung plug puller. Might be a barn hook, screw it into a hole, and use it to hang your farm tools. With the bat design, maybe hang your Bat Cape, when you're in between saving truth, justice, and the Joker? 2609, could be a plub bob. 2610, never seen one of these, and can't imagine a use.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's for sure! I didn't conclusively know or guess any of them.

.

That's a hard set.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My guesses:

2605: Wheel holder and leveler

2606: Shoe horn

2607: Lamp updated from gas to electric

2608: A "bench screw" to hold wood for woodcarving

2609: A float valve.

Bill

Reply to
Bill
2608. That's a miniature commemorative torture device - one end is for loping off little heads =3D:O and the other end is for screwing someone. I believe Congressmen keep them on their desks as "letter openers". R
Reply to
RicodJour

2607 is a liquid trap for a vacuum pump. Something like this:
anorton

"anorton" fired this volley in news:75KdnZ1VRszZY2PSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I would have thought that big hole in the side would - um - interfere with vacuum.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Its funny, I did not even notice that was a hole. I guess I was thinking it was some sort of reflection because I was not expecting to see a hole in that type of apparatus. In any case, the hole does not seem to be perfectly round, like it was a modification for some specific experiment. I still think the original purpose was as a liquid trap.

Reply to
anorton

Ummm...maybe it's not that type of apparatus...?

RicodJour

It does look like a Turkish coffee pot but the museum where I shot the photo had it marked as something else.

Reply to
Rob H.

This is what I was thinking but I haven't been able to prove it.

I don't know if it was part of a valve but I was told it's a float, so you're at least half right.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, the hole does look like it may have been added later, I don't know what this device is but I sent an email to Gaertner and they replied and said that they also didn't know.

Reply to
Rob H.

After a little more research I see things like this are more commonly used as part of a vacuum aspirator to suck up fluids. Some have stopcock drains which may be what that hole was made for, although it does look a little large and high for that.

Reply to
anorton

Yes, the threads could be "faster". I'll be watching with interest to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Reply to
Bill

2608 is a tiedown point for window blind adjustment rope.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

2605) A height adjustable foot for something which is constructed of rectangular metal tubing. The spurs allow it to slide in, but prevent it from sliding out.

It looks as though it is designed to be adjusted by a screwdriver from above (with a short tubing, of course), but it also looks as though it is missing (both in the photo and in the drawing) a cylindrical foot bottom -- hard rubber, I suspect. or it is designed to fit over a cylindrical fitting on a lower object.

2606) A dipper/ladle for dipping and pouring some hot liquid. Perhaps a wax or the like, perhaps something else. I don't think that it is for even low temperature metals, however.

2607) Gaertner makes (or made) optical lab hardware -- lens holders lathe bed style optical benches, traveling microscopes, etc.

This looks much older -- but it may be designed for measuring the optical characteristics of a gas or liquid. It is not totally clear whether the round circle in the near side is an opening, or is a flat window joined to the glass housing..

The fittings on top look as though they are for allowing a gas or liquid to flow through, and the knurled nuts allow access to the inside of the container to perhaps change a smaller container of the substance under test.

2608) Do the "bat wings" at the top form a plane, or a spiral? Hard to tell from the single point of view offered.

The screw thread could go into something like soft wax, or into a plug of lead poured with a cored hole, or into soft wood.

Perhaps it is for adjusting the height or spacing of some object. The wings at the top are not decorative enough to be something like a top of a hand-carried flagpole.

2609) Rather large and blunt pointed plumb bob. :-)

Perhaps intended to allow replacing the contents to tune the period of a pendulum. Might even be big enough to make a reasonable Focualt pendulum.

2610) Looks like something intended to advacne a wooden pole upwards as the lever is cycled.

Now to post and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

at least half right.

I wondered if it was for checking the density of a liquid, depending on whether it floated or sank.

Reply to
Dr Nick

It does look like it would work well with a rope, but I couldn't find any others like it.

Reply to
Rob H.