ball detent pocket shape

Was just wondering if there is a feel-able difference for a ball-shaped pocket versus a drilled hole; this for a twist control worked by hand. I I think a drilled hole might give a "snappier" action when new but might also wear more quickly.

Reply to
xpzzzz

Only of the pocket diameter is fairly large in comparison to the ball diameter; in which case there will also be noticed a reduced resistance when torque is applied.

Mostly, the problem can be defined as one involving spring compression rate and amount of linear displacement of the ball per degree

--to illustrate, consider a system having a conical hole and a tapered shot pin...pin displacement becomes nearly linear, whereas with a ball, rate of displacement is reduced exponentially in relation to angular motion of the rotary member

Im other words, with a pin, torque remains nearly constant till it finally "breaks free" whereas with a ball, the further you turn it, the easier is becomes to turn it even further.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT