Saw a scary scene today

I was at a closed down factory today. The factory was bought out by a scrapper. I bought some ironworkers, angle cutters, hoists and such
from him.
One thing that I bought was a 7.5 ton bridge crane (lifting and runners only, no I-beams).
The crane was about 80 feet wide and they were removing a huge I-beam that made up the bridge itself.
They were supporting it in the middle with a telehandler. One side was already cut with oxygen. The worker was cutting another side, standing on a scissor lift.
When the final cut made through, the beam heaved, rolled off the forks and fell on the scissor lift. And may I mention that it was a lot larger than the lift.
Fortunately, it did not fall all the way, it was caught by a chain from the top of the telehandler boom, and so it rested on top of the scissor lift. The scissor lift almost toppled and the guy in it would, no doubt, be in big trouble. After this all ended, he was laughing hysterically, though it did not seem funny to me.
Ignoramus21436 wrote:

Some people lack rigging sense and each time they somehow survive their carelessness it just reinforces the carelessness. Eventually it catches up with them and they go splat, hopefully without any civilian casualties.

Yep, its easy to cheat death.
Trouble is, death only has to win once.

If I may play a devil's advicate for a minute, I must say that this sort of stuff is naturally a very dangerous business. Doing that work properly would necessitate bringing in two telehandlers instead of one, which is, alas, very expensive. I am not advocating any unsafe things, but I am saying that this is a naturally very dangerous job that is not easy to make safe.

Yep, I'm rigger for a day tommorrow. bet us part timers without good equipment have even more accidents.
The road trip starts at 0500 getting the kid his first CNC mill.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, they can be top-heavy, just make sure you keep it level and don't raise any higher than you have to. I've moved my Bridgeport twice with no oopses.
Jon
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:15:47 -0500, Ignoramus21436

_Not_ an OSHA-controlled dismantling operation, I see. =:0
-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:39:37 -0700, Larry Jaques

Someone got lucky when he rolled the Darwin dice.

It was gypsy controlled.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:15:47 -0500, Ignoramus21436

A friend of mine and myself once did a 360 in a car going 75 MPH. We hit glare ice on an overpass and the car just lost any friction with the pavement whatsoever. Fortunately, this was on a divided highway (so no oncoming traffic) AND we ended up heading in the same direction as we started when we got to the end of the glare ice (so we didn't hit dry pavement going sideways and rollover).
We stopped, pulled over onto the shoulder, and began to laugh hysterically. The laughing part was just a release of incredible nervous energy I think....same as your rigger guy who just about got killed. Dave

It was a damn strange feeling spinning in a circle going 75MPH. Happened so quick there was nothing to do but hold on and hope we'd be ok. I see those signs "Watch for Ice on Bridge" and know what they mean now. Dave
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 02:01:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@is.invalid wrote:

One Feb. morning, on an interchange between two freeways, I looked in the rear view mirror to see a pickup truck crossing three traffic lanes and bouncing off the railing multiple times. I gradually eased off on the gas and managed to keep within my lane markings. From then on I was a much slower driver.
--
Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

I find that driving at, or near, the speed limit, is many times safer than speeding more than 10 MPH above the speed limit. A hge difference. I just set my cruise control to 61 MPH or some such and enjoy the ride.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:51:02 -0500, Ignoramus21660

If it were legal, and if the road supported, and if my vehicle could do it, and if traffic were low, I'd drive 300 mph to my vacation destination each year.
As it is, I'm happy to travel at 80 mph, right along with the flow of traffic.
If you're paying attention, driving 120 is no less safe than creeping along at 61.
I just hope that you guys who like to drive slowly will always keep yourselves in the far right lane.
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai

I, personally, stay in the far right lane, thinking my thoughts.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:40:49 -0700, Larry Jaques

IMHO, it's far more dangerous to be driving at a significantly slower speed than traffic. Higher speeds too, but a bit less so (except Italy where it's always nerve wracking). In my area that's somewhat above the posted limit on controlled-access highways, so that's where the cruise control gets set if traffic is light enough to use it.
I gave it a good try driving at a bit below the speed limit in a heavy traffic commute situation (when photo radar was tried), and found it quite nerve-wracking- especially with the heavy truck traffic overtaking, honking, burping their jake brakes etc. If you stuck to one of the middle lanes it might be better, but I don't do that if I'm going slow. It saves gas and doesn't take that much longer, but it's not worth it IMHO. In an unfamiliar heavily loaded vehicle, that's another matter. I'd go slow.
I have driven 120-130mph for extended periods of time and I don't think it's particularly dangerous in relatively light traffic, on dry roads and in the daytime (assuming you have a good car in top condition). Of course I would not do that in North America! You do have to pay a bit more attention- there's 4x as much energy to get dissipate to come to a stop from 130mph than there is from 65mph.
On Jul 19, 10:22am, Spehro Pefhany

I try to stay in between clumps of cars and/or trucks. Which means I drive at the same speed as most of the traffic on the road.
Dan
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:22:37 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

For the rest of that trip particularly on overpasses.

--
Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

What exactly is "significant"?
Is your opinion based on any facts?
I usually drive a bit above the speed limit, but slower than other vehicles, and I find it nearly bulletproof safe.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:27:15 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus29469

Such that lots and lots of cars are passing you, and you're in each other's blind spots all the time. When few are passing and you're passing few there are fewer lane changes and fewer chances for problems. If you're passing almost everyone you don't need to worry much about anything behind you unless it has a flashing light on top.

Just the memory of close calls (i.e. experience). Not all the other guy's fault either.

Accidents are fairly rare on superhighways in any case. Cyclists (especially the criminally insane bicycle couriers) and pedestrians (including bums and squeegee punks) and the zillions of reckless taxi cabs make for more trouble. Speed in that case is not usually limited by the posted speed limit.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany