Urethane band saw tires

Can anyone recommend a good glue for mounting urethane band saw tires?

I have an older 26" wood working saw I use for aluminum, that does not have shoulders to retain the tire, just a crowned wheel.

Reply to
Tim

It's interesting that you need glue. My saw is much smaller (14"), but the tires get plenty of grip without adhesive, even when cutting metal. And mine (on a Delta saw) are simply crowned, as well.

Not to be presumptuous, but are you sure you need glue?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I bought a 10" Delta wood bandsaw with more abuse than I noticed. The rubber was gone and Delta wanted too much for replacements, so I cut slices of truck inner tubes to fit the wheels, then ran it hard cutting aluminum and later as a sawmill slicing oak logs into planks. The inner tube rubber held up fine and didn't slip.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And the reason why? Half of the tire is in compression against both blade and wheel, held there by the tension adjustment. If it's a proper fit, it's not going to move, glue or no glue. If I had to use strip rubber and not a band to make a tire, I'd probably use something like Pliobond or Barge cement with a skived end joint.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Because there's an acceleration of approx 200 g's at the rim of a 14" bandsaw, which corresponds to about 3 psi on a 1/4" thick tire. Whether the rubber will lift or not depends on how tightly it's stretched on the wheel.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I suppose so, the tire is properly sized for a 26" wheel, and it comes of in just a few minutes of operation. I clean both the tire and the wheel with thinner before mounting, and do not use coolant. I'm cutting aluminum and stick grease is all we use.

I lost one tire when it became bound in the spokes and tore.

Reply to
Tim

-And the reason why? Half of the tire is in compression against both

-blade and wheel, held there by the tension adjustment. If it's a

-proper fit, it's not going to move, glue or no glue. If I had to use

-strip rubber and not a band to make a tire, I'd probably use something

-like Pliobond or Barge cement with a skived end joint.

Urethane is very difficult to glue. I have heard some folks say nothing will stick to it. Just thought someone on the group might have some experience with gluing urethane tires.

Reply to
Tim

I've had some luck with hardware store RTV silicone caulk on urethane belting where other adhesives failed. Try a small patch to see how well it sticks before doing the whole tire.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Gorilla glue is a urethane glue, I wonder if it would work? I have used it for some pretty tough to glue materials and it has always worked. Wet both surfaces with water before applying.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

3M weatherstrip adhesive . Also known in automotive circles as Gorilla Snot , it's a contact type adhesive . 3M's part/item number is 08001 for the 5 oz tube .
Reply to
Snag

Try JB Weld, a two-part epoxy. It sems to work in securing the urethane pads in variable-speed sheaves.

Flash

Reply to
Flash