Band saw tire (Craftsman)

I need tires, (Right term?)for my old craftsman band saw (Gussing
1950's.) I called a company I read about in the archive, Suffolk
machine. My wheel measures 12 5/8 in diameter. The person there
suggested a tire for a 12 inch wheel and stretch it on. Is this right,
sounds like a lot to stretch it? I bought this beautiful saw at a
garage sale for $15.00, can you believe it. Makes my other two year
old Craftsman band saw look like junk.
Reply to
Cuezilla
Band saw tires (also called rubbers) are always stretched a fair amount on installation. Last time I bought a pair the guy in the saw shop told me to roll a large dowel several times around the wheel, under the tire, to equalize the stretch around the perimeter. You can then roll the dowel around again and apply the cement behind it as you go.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Try contacting these guys