Re: Band Saw Question, before I buy

have you read the new astron workshop?

my suggestions would need to know what kind of rocketry you want to do. I'll admit with a slow hand a bandsaw cannot be beat for making any small-to medium sized parts

Reply to
tater schuld

I've got a crappy old plastic 10" Craftsman Band saw that was given to me. It is an old POS, which needs constant attention to keep it from throwing blades. When it works right, there is nothing better for cutting fins, or lopping off a length of motor tube. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine despite it's woes. I'd say either unit would serve you well.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Yeah, like 10" centering rings for a 17' tall rocket.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

the Delta for $99 is a good deal as well. lowes, sears etc..

I bought mine back when they sold for $199 and like it. it seems well made and the delta band is respected.

the ryobi I bet is a competitive model to it and made about the same.

pick the one whoese parts are avalible at the store near you. so when you need blades or a holder, the stuff is right their.

art

Reply to
Art Upton

I believe the one I was about to get last weekend (out of stock) was a Delta not Rigid. Neither were made in America (not much is anymore), but I noticed the Craftsman display model seemed to have a lousier casting of it's base. What I mainly want to do with it is cut curves in plywood for mid-power & Level

1 designs.......curvey Sidewinder forward fins & curvey arms & legs for my 3' tall Bender the robot). Once I've got it, maybe I'll come up with other ideas.

-- Richard "pace yourself at the dinner table today" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

Get a three wheel saw with large throat. You'll be thanking yourself later when you come up with certain fin designs that are still tricky to get the clearance that you need. Try to get at least a 11 or 12 inch.

Mike Fisher Binder Design

Reply to
Mfreptiles

I use a 10" Craftsman band saw. It works great I have had no problems with. I cut curves and everything with it. So go fo0r the Craftsman if it is not a lot more.

Tom Priest Rockethead Rockets snipped-for-privacy@rap.midco.net

rocket trike

Get a 11" model if you can. You'll realize why later. ....Ed

Reply to
....Ed

Delta or Rigid and you cannot go wrong. I got both and have not had a problem, even with the well used 15 year old delta.

matt

Reply to
Matt

You might go to the web site of either/both BH&G "Wood" and "American Woodworker" magazines and check the archives for a comparsion test of bandsaws. I remember one of the mags doing the test earlier this year.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

Craftsman...heh, heh. I've burned up three of them. Even the Chinese 12" harbor freight bandsaw has lasted longer.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles

Here's another tool question:

I want to start getting some shop tools so I can do more of my own custom work (eventually I'd like to produce kits too). I have limited funds so I can maybe get one tool now, and another one at some later date. But which should I get first?

  1. Table saw
  2. Drill press
  3. Band saw
  4. Something else??
Reply to
RayDunakin

List is fine as is.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

harbor freight bandsaw has lasted longer.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Rhhickok

Drill press.

Table mount belt sander.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I believe that current Craftsman bench top tools like this are made by Ryobi.

But your post reminds me that it's about time for my annual posting of the "New Astron Workshop"...

Bob Kaplow

Is that one of the three wheel models? They are often a problem and I don't recommend them. Too hard to allign everything. Better to get the largest 2 wheel saw you can afford / justify for your needs. Ever since I got my 8" Delta I do almost all of my rocket cutting with it.

Bob Kaplow

With all the stuff I've got, I still don't own a table saw. I just haven't really found a need for one yet.

My first (1963!) bench top power tool was a Dremel scroll saw. If I could only have one saw for rocket work, I'd take the scroll saw (these days I'd get a Delta instead) over the band saw, as it's more versatile. But having both side by side, I now do 95% of my cutting with the band saw.

If your goal is to make kits, I'd go with the band saw for cutting fins, etc. and the drill press with a fly cutter for cutting centering rings. Which to get first? Which do you need most, fins or centering rings?

I've found a belt sander to be necessary, especially with LMR/HPR and plywood or G10 fins. You're not going to airfoil either of these by hand.

Bob Kaplow

Tools are a funny thing. You make due with what you have until you get something better. I bought myself a big vertical air compressor about a year ago, and now I could never go without one again. Same goes for my Dewalt cordless drill and Dremel tool, along with many others. When considering a tool purchase, you always find more uses for it then what you initially bought it for.

As for your list Ray, I'd vote for the drill press! I'm needing one too!

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel