Casting Mediums for Buildings?

Hi,

Can anyone suggest any alternative casting mediums that are available in the UK by post or in Birmingham for use with rubber moulds such as Linka?

What about mediums such as resin. Anyone know if it will react with the rubber moulds?

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete

It's really funny, but I've asked roughly the same question in rec.models.railroad this morning. Original post below. Please could you post back to either newsgroup if you get any advice/suggestions and I miss them?

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to modelling after finding myself at home now. I have been looking at moulds from Linka

and I would like to try to find a way of making (or buying online) a cheap moulding medium that sets so I can work it with hand tools when set (like wood). Plaster of Paris seems too brittle for my cumbersome fingers. Has anyone found a mixture that they mould fine details with, that is inexpensive to buy, or has anyone made a magic formula they could share with me? I am not a tight-wad, I'm disabled, and funds are low).

Any help or suggestions will be really helpful to me, and thank you for reading.

Tony(UK)

Reply to
Tony (UK)

Hi Tony,

Will do.

Have you seen the Linka Yahoo Group? A bit slow but still active:

I have already tried Poly Filler (crack filler) but that is too brittle in such thin wafers though I need to try it at a thicker consistency.

I might try adding fibres but that has other (hairy wall) problems :)

I wondered about resin \ stone mixtures but need to find out if that will affect the rubber.

Likewise I thought about concrete (no sand) but that can be caustic.

From various sources so far I have this rough list:

Hydrostone. Dental Plaster. 'Stone cast' 'Herculite' TufStone(tm)

I am compiling a list of web based stockists also.

If you want to share and add to findings as they grow e.mail me at firststep#claraD0Tnet....

I am only just getting started with all this so a bit slow at the moment but I think I'll be doing some experimentation and possibly casting my own moulds and templates later on.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I would ditch all those in favour of a bag of B&Q finishing plaster which is pretty well the same stuff at a third of the price. And if that comes out too brittle stick some PVA in the mix.

Have you tried paper mache? Properly made paper mache that is?

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Have you tried Finishing Plaster in a Linka mould?

I did think about PVA but found it made concrete slightly more crumbly. I might try it with some Poly Filler as a test though in general it is used to water proof rather than polymerise.

I have used paper mache to great effect in making retro boxes including paper mache hinges and locks. I guess it would have to be pretty fine to take the brick imprint from a mould and would need to have an anti shrinkage component added?

I was actually quite surprised by how thin the Linka moulds were.

The best medium I suspect will be some form of resinated material.

I was thinking that if resin affects the rubber I could cast in wax, turn out another negative in plaster and then cast in resin....

Your suggestions are worth experimenting with though as many people have had some disappointment with the LinkaLite compound.

Pete Spamblocking.

Reply to
Pete

"Pete" wrote

I don't think much has changed in that time, other than one or two additions to the range.

I think we might have the casting powder in stock - if you'd like me to check contact me off list.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John.

I'd like to but don't have your addy.

I'm interested in a small quantity to start with.

Mine is firststep%clara+net

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Scola cast, on-line from various craft suppliers, when baked GENTLY, after 24 hours out of the mould, its really hard and not brittle, takes fine detail very well too. Even my Beaver Scouts can handle casting fine detail (for fridge magnets) with it!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Cheers Niel,

I haven't seen this one on my rounds so looks interesting.

At £1 per KG with reasonable postage I found some at:

for anyone else interested.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I usually buy BIGGER bags, but it depends on what you need, craftpacks are good people too, just down the road from me so I can visit easily for some useful stuff, got a set of brewery vehicles for a fraction of retail last year....

Niel.

Reply to
Badger