Estes Explorer Aquarius Fin Repair

Does anyone have experience re-attaching fins to the Estes Explorer Aquarius? I'm looking for the technique and correct adhesive. Fins were originally attached with yellow glue.

Launched the rocket twice this morining with D12-5 motors. Both flights were excellent but the rocket did seem to come down fast with the 18" parachute. On the second landing, one fin broke off. For the next launch, if winds are calm, I think I am going to try a 24" parachute.

John Wirt

Reply to
JKW

If it's like the other Estes plastic fins, plastic cement works....

You may want to Google search (carbon fiber, fiber glass, fillets)

The Rocket Gawds have found you....

Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

Hmmm. I have an Explorer Aquarius, and the fins are Balsa, not plastic.

Anyway, I built my Explorer Aquarius to support a 29mm central motor, with the six pod tubes supporting 18mm motors. I put 1oz fiberglass on the body and balsa fins (with thinned epoxy for better penetration of the balsa). Needed a bunch of nose weight to stabilize it, but it's not as if that bulbous nose lacks for interior space!

I generally launch it with a central Aerotech Econojet G motor and six Estes C6 motors in the outboard pods. I use thermalite fuse to lite the six C motors from the central G.

It makes for a really cool flight.

Marc Casanova

Reply to
Marc Casanova