Nevada trip report and photos

2003 Nevada Rocket Trip Report
In early August I set off on my annual rocketry and camping trip through the
Mojave desert and Nevada. This year I had some special flights I wanted to make
that required more altitude and recovery space, so my travels were limited and
had less emphasis on visiting mines and ghost towns. The photos from this trip
are posted online and can be seen at this site:

My first flight took place at a salt-encrusted dry lake in the Mojave, at the
edge of a vast network of salt evaporator canals. This was a two-stage 1.8"
diameter rocket powered by G80's. The flight was perfect but the photos were
less than impressive. Considerably more altitude would be needed to get a
decent shot of the salt works.
The next morning I spotted a family of bighorn sheep at a waterhole near a
mine. I also explored another mine which had literally miles of tunnels.
The next flights took place at a small quarry in a colorful, volcanic area of
Nevada that I call Rainbow Hills. Two rockets were flown side by side using my
newly constructed dual launch pad. One rocket was a 2.6" diameter two-stager