Re: "Save Rocketry NOW" My proposal to NAR and TRA

Sounds good now hammer this to the powers that be in the orgs.

> Dear Rocketeers, > > Below you will find my plan for saving rocketry now. Please read my proposal > ASAP and e-mail me with comments. If you agree with my proposal, please > contact the Tripoli and/or NAR BOD and let them know you are for the plan. > Thank you, > > ---Frank Rocketman Uroda > President of Public Missiles Ltd. > > ------------------------------------------------------ > > Frank R Uroda > 09/22/03 > > Re: Rocketry is dying. > > To the BOD of the NAR and TRA, > > The news isn't good. The regulators are at our throats. People are leaving > the hobby in droves. The rocketry organizations are fighting hard but are > running out of time and money. Small vendors are giving up and going back to > their day job. The large vendors (relatively speaking) are all on the verge > of bankruptcy. The regulators know if they hold us back long enough, our > numbers will dwindle and we will die away. And they are right. > > Some have suggested we vendors should spend more money on advertising in the > rocketry magazines. They think that this will draw more people into the > hobby. But do they realize that 98% of their readers are already in the > hobby? We need to reach those that don't know about the hobby. > > About 5% of the US population has flown rockets as kids. Of those about 10% > would get back into rocketry if they knew how it has grown and matured (IE. > mid and high power). That said, handing out 1000 free rocket magazines > *might* lead to 5 prospects. Is that cost effective? Of course not. But this > is what has been going on with HPR and other rocketry mags in this industry > for years. Additionally, these prospects need to be followed up on. A single > issue or ad will not get them hooked. They need to be reminded over and > over. You need to catch them at just the right time. How many times have you > read something that interested you and you said to yourself "I gotta try > this someday". Then you forget all about it. If it was in your face on a > regular basis, you would be more likely to give it a try. Of the people I > meet on the street, none of them knows that HPR exists. Not one. > > What we really need is new blood in the sport...and a lot of it! There is > strength (and money) in numbers. We told the former president of Tripoli > about my plan in the mid 90's. Tripoli should have taken us up on our offer > years ago. If it had, by 2000 Tripoli would have had 15-20,000 members. What > kind of voice would we have had in Washington with numbers like that? Now > it's time to do or die. > > In the past, the NAR and TRA board of directors were always too cautious > when it came to spending money on our defense and our growth. In the last 2 > years or so they learned a hard lesson on the importance of defense. They > both stepped up to the plate and are doing what it takes to save the hobby. > But an army cannot win if it's fallen soldiers are not replaced. So now TRA > and the NAR need to learn about growth. > > No more preaching to the choir, no more half measures. We need to increase > the number of active people in our hobby by a factor of 10 starting now. How > do we do this? By promoting rocketry on television, in major, national (and > international) magazines and on high traffic, space related websites. > > Below is my plan for Phase 1 of the "Help Rocketry Survive and Thrive > Campaign": > > We have a once in a life time opportunity with the Discovery channel. They > spent over $1,000,000 producing a one hour special on rocketry and LDRS. > This series of shows will reach 6 million homes. Five million of the viewers > will be our target audience; men between the ages of 25 and 54. The Discover > Channel told me it will begin running the 3 hour show (Rocket Challenge) in > November and it will run 6 times. If we (NAR and TRA) don't have commercials > airing during the show, we will have blown it for all time. What we MUST > have 3, 15 second national spots for each time this show airs. This show is > equivalent to MILLIONS of advertising dollars but without our contact info, > it's totally worthless. They will not give us the airtime during the shows > required to get our info to the public. We will have to buy it in the form > of commercials. That is how it works, and it ain't cheap. > > I have no idea yet how much a 15 second spot will cost us to have produced. > It must be done by professionals as the Discovery Channel has high standards > that must be met. The big ticket will be the airtime. The ad should display > a website address at the end for more info. See the attached mpg for an > example of a 15 second rocketry spot. This spot is just an example and in no > way do I want to use it. I made it from bits and pieces I found on my hard > drive in just a couple hours with no experience. We need a real pro to make > the real one. It should show a father and son building, prepping, and flying > both large and small rockets together I just wanted to illustrate that this > does not need to be a complicated effort. > > A high bandwidth web site will have to be set up with all of the information > the prospects will need to enter the hobby. People will be needed to create > and manage the site. Others will be needed to answer e-mails. This site will > get almost no traffic until the spots air. At that time you can expect huge > spikes. Everything must be ready (our operators are standing by). Large > volumes of e-mails will have to be answered ASAP. The links and forms must > work the first time and every time. It will have to be set up to take secure > on-line credit card orders for membership. On line memberships will have to > be processed immediately. Printed material will have to be ready for > immediate shipment. The days of "please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery" are > long gone! If the customer doesn't get the membership card and any printed > material (IE. Magazine, launch info, etc.) within days, they will be pissed. > I will volunteer to design the layout of the site and make a list of what > it should contain. I cannot implement any of the ideas or content. I have > ZERO experience doing any of that. Greg Deputy of Blastzone.com has > volunteered his services to create the site. Andy Waddell and I will assist > in design and implementation. Greg will also donate 20 gigabytes of > bandwidth per month. Additional bandwidth will be billed at $3.50 per gig. > We can also help the NAR and TRA in sprucing up their sites or providing > other assistance. > > Also, I found that
is active and owned by a totally > unrelated company. We should try to obtain
as it seems to > be owned but inactive. > > I have yet to explore the possibility of having a toll free number to call. > > In a nut shell, the 3 hour show "Rocket Challenge" will air twice on Nov. 3, > three times on Nov. 10, and once on Nov. 17. We cannot pick and choose which > shows or hours to run our ad. We must buy one 15 second spot in each hour of > the show and for every time the show is run. The full package for 18 > insertions was originally $93,000 but after some major negotiation between > me and the accounts manager, I got the rock bottom price of $68,000 (to be > paid in advance). > > I know this is a major effort but it has to be done now. Like I said, this > is our big chance, let's not blow it. > > Phase 2; The prolonged effort: > > We need to run large (full color, 1/3 page minimum) ads in major magazines > like Popular Mechanics. These ads, when done right, work. Again, they are > not cheap, but they are worth it. PML tried it in 1993 and it worked. We > still get mail from those ads even though we quit running them 10 years ago! > The problem we had is we could not afford to sustain the ads. We had just > enough money to run for 3 months. Momentum was building rapidly but we just > ran out of advertising money. > > It is a huge waste of money to run smaller ads. Trust me on this, we learned > that the hard way. > > I contacted Popular Mechanics and used every negotiating trick I knew. It > looks like we can get the 1/3 page color ads place for much less than PML > paid in 1993! If we sign for 12 consecutive insertions, the cost per issue > will be $4590.00. This is a great deal. I may even be able to squeeze them > some more it we really do go with the 12 insertion pkg. They work well > ahead. Even if we work very fast, our first ad would not come out until the > January issue. The December issue closes on Sept. 25. > > Yes it is a big risk and a lot of money. But wars are not won by small, > incremental moves. It is the bold strokes that win the wars. We are in a war > now, actually a battle of attrition. It's a battle we are sure to lose. The > regulators have nothing but time and money on their side. We have neither. > We have but one choice, grow or die. > > There is still time to do this but now it must be done by the

organizations

since all of us manufacturers are on the verge of bankruptcy. Yes this will > cost a lot but the membership will increase in large numbers and so will the > revenue. So far TRA and NAR have done nothing to get new members. The > government will win this battle by attrition. They are almost there. When > AT, LOC, and PML, and the others are gone, LDRS 20-something will look more > like LDRS 1. This will happen within 2 years. > > I will do my part as a volunteer in organizing, implementing and > coordinating the ad campaigns. There are a lot more details that need to be > discussed. Many other volunteers will be needed. So far Bruce Kelly, Greg > Deputy, Andy Waddell, the entire PML crew, and I will do our part. I'm sure > many others will too. > > Lets talk, > ---Frank R Uroda > > > > >
Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

I have been saying that for years and in the case of NAR making specific proposals. The only growth oriented thing they have done is TARC and that is very recent and an accident of success.

But then they too would be "scared away" by the bad policies of clubs to demand ATF permits where the law states clear exemptions. Club policy must change FIRST.

I strongly, fully agree. Now it is ieas.org's turn.

I was on track to generate it before they banned me. Look how many people I had at my launches!!

Or other soldiers given the lesson for the first time. Stop thinkling bi-polar. NAR and TRA are in the past, long may they dwindle. IEAS.org and many regional clubs like DARS and PRS have taken up the mantle of growth.

I agree and the level of resistence in the existing heirarchies is high. New heirarchy needed.

The very first volly should be to recertify all willing motor vendors and stop asking for ATF permits unless ordered to do so by a judge. That will make the biggest immediate and sustained benefit.

Not the banned ones. We got other jobs unlike you.

You followed this morass to destruction called Tripoli. Abandon it right this second for purposes of this wacky scheme. TRA=financial failure.

Nor will they.

Attrition my ass. Suicide!!

But Rocketfest will rock on.

Good luck and keep those bankruptcy papers handy. With TRA in the mix you're going to need them.

I have posted my commercial proposal a caouple of times right here.

When you have a 70% less costly partial solution, please let me know. ie no NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago, 5 most expensive NE markets.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Frank,

This is the first Marketing and Market Driven solution I have heard to the Rocket Crisis.

You have my Support. Besides asking the Board to do this, what else can I help with ?

Your old fellow M team member,

Art Upton

reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.nospam.com

organizations

Reply to
Art Upton

Not really sure what you mean by this.

------------------------------------------------------ Frank, you really don't *need* TRA/NAR BOD to accomplish this.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
Frank U

He needs $88,000 during a pandemic bankruptcy environment and also wants to maintain a vendor monopoly and change nothing that got us into this mess in the first place.

Remember, rockets are countercyclical. The recession normally would have INCREASED sales.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Interesting idea.

Not so sure about this. RocketVision advertised themselves right out of business in slick color magazine ads. And as you said, even PML ran out of advertizing $$$. If the ads really worked, they would have generated the $$$ to sustain the advertising.

Bob Kaplow

Exactly. "Sell-through" is far more important of a variable which relies on maintaining customers (not scaring them away). Untill we fix the scare away part the outreack will be for naught. Sorry Frank.

We need alternate clubs (since the old ones refuse to change) to make a positive foot forward for interested rocket users to climb the ladder sans explosives permits in full.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Frank

Couple of things.

1) Your idea is wonderful - I've been back in rockets for about a year after a 25 yeat post adolescence break. Please don't get discouraged by some the feedback you might get here. While I don't know all the players, there seems to be a vocal few who seem to want to stop anything that does not involve disbanding any existing organizational structure (At least that is how i interpret the postings) I wonder if they realize that this is not the revolution and there is strength in organized numbers, and we should build on existing structure rather than try to start again at the current weakend state.

2) Meanwhile, I'd like to offer my assistance in what ever way I can. I am an IT professional by day and have some technical contacts that might assist on the web end. I'd also be more than willing to simply answer the mail and stuff envelops.

3) One point that you may want to work toward is that, while I do not have children, when I go to launches, i see that there is a whole lot of father/son activity (and even Father/Dayugter) - not to mention one Mother/Daughter team. If we can focus a bit on the good clean family fun aspect, that might be a strategy to help out.

4) Also, as I said, while I don't have children, my wife alomst always attends, mostly to keep me from spending money, but also because it is just a nice day outside. In today's culture, perhaps we need to promote something like rocketry to offset the tide toward our young people spending their time and intellect surfing the web.

5) Finally, we do need to make this useful while not expensive, the economy is on the rebound, and for some monet is tight. I do realize that in broacast TV thgat is an oxymoron. Whatever you/we do it needs to be positive in nature. If we put up a public, or semi-public, campaign in which the lynch pin is the outrage of these congress-crittters, the ATF, and the HSA, we will lose.

Those are just a few thoughts that you may find worthwhile.

Thanx

Al

organizations

Reply to
Al Gloer

Since that statement is not even couched, considering how few have replied to this thread (so far), I will say (as the target of the comments) that my statements are made WANTING THE PROPOSAL TO SUCCEED, but seeing clear and evident blocks to it succeeding. Pointing them out is a "heads-up" to address those issues before wasting $88000 unwisely.

Huh? The existing structure *IS* the weakened state.

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You have a great idea and the more people you get to support that idea the better. But like you mentioned, TRA/NAR has been very conservative in that retrospec in the past. PML is a top dog vendor and that being the case has a lot of support right there. Approval from TRA/NAR BOD is hardly needed(but BOD support would be good help).

How about a PML raffle/contest??? Hell, I'm currently looking for work but I would find a way scrape some coin together to donate to such a cause.

Who DOESN'T own a PML kit???

I know my Phobos gets plenty of air time :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

NAR and TRA have spent $60,000 on Kyte, and I understand that really tapped the resources. I understand that his fees are greater than that of the lawsuit since it began.

1) Has Kyte done anything worth $60,000? 724 is basically dead - no more or less dead, than if the $60,000 was not spent... On the other hand, the lawsuit has incurred little if any cost in the last year, as nothing is happening, so the lawsuit funds went to Kyte.... (one guy is really making out here, and I think you'll see who it is...)

2) I think PML has a great idea here! But... it seems that any funds that might have been available for the ads is gone however.. NAR just raised dues by $15/year for senior members. Kind of a bad thing to do when new members need to be brought in!

3) It seems when the deal was made with 1st TV/DC, a logical thing might have been to ask for the ad time in exchange for filming rights. Even without the current crisis in the hobby, advertising NAR/TRA would have made complete sense during the broadcast. Worst case, a "bug" in the corner or a status line, with the TRA (it was their show after all) website popping up at times during the broadcast might have been appropriate. I'm not saying that this isn't in the deal, but if not, why not?

Reply to
AZ Woody

I'm was thinking along the lines of a group vendor spot. Maybe a separate spot dedicated to the organizations. Use a raffle/contest for donations for the airtime. However it's done, it would mean more mass media exposure at the very least.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

AZ Woody wrote:

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Sound like the "spots" are about $68,000 for 3 - 15 sec ones...

Don't know about vendors in your area, but I don't know of one that could pay 1/10 of the cost for one of the three spots!

Reply to
AZ Woody

Business 101 Success:

1) Take over an existing market with better product or services. 2) Create a market for products or services.

Frank is addressing creating a market from a huge pool of prospective rocketeers. You and Jerry, in my opinion, are comparing apples to oranges. Gaining members for NAR or Tripoli or rocketry in general is not competition of product, it's simply creating/expanding an untapped market.

Boomer

Yeah I know :(

Even with the manufacturers it's still probably along the lines of 1/10 :(

I've done the math.... 2267 visits to the plasma bank.

There *has* to be way of funding for such a project. Gotta be.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

AZ Woody wrote:

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

You both ar eproposing putting these newly acquired prospects into the existing failed system.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

A co-op has the best overall chance of working. Pooled monied and many vendors to choose from.

But I say again. Do you really want to attract new blood into a system that is regurgitating old bloood like a hemmorage? These people are leaving in droves in the first time in rocketry history for a reason. Fix the reason FIRST.

  1. Stop asking for ATF permits ever. Not legally required for rockets
  2. Stop with all the 62.5g nonsense. Take it out of the safety code, the NFPA codes and everywhere else it exists.
  3. Immediately make similar modifications to policy and codes to accept ANY hazard class no matter how low of propellant or motor.
  4. Accept any competent authority paperwork ON ITS FACE (as the document is intended to be used in the first place) abd start accepting at least a hald zozen new motor vendors TODAY and several more in the next 2 years.
  5. Offer a crippleware membership. Your fresh new number which you have to renew to keep, one magazine, some coupons, a subscription application, and you get this junk mail we would send you anyway for a mere .95 prepaid!

I have a plan that will actually work and "convert" those prospects to long term customers which is what Frank Uroda wanted when I farmed HPR and he successfully penetrated that market.

And I invited him with open arms BTW not with banning, accusations, and personal attack. The TRA/NAR metric.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Frank (and others),

An intriguing concept. It sounds very much like the "Be A Pilot" program started by the general aviation community to encourage folks to begin pilot training:

This particular initiative is funded by a consortium of aircraft manufacturers, flight schools, and other commercial and noncommercial entities in the general aviation community. What you are proposing is almost a carbon copy of "Be A Pilot" program.

Two major concerns that will need to be addressed:

1) Funding - who pays for this? NAR and Tripoli are tapped out already. At any rate, the primary funding should flow from the commercial entities who would enjoy the immediate benefit of such a program. Unfortunately, they're probably in no condition to fund the program, either. 2) Timeline - If the funding were to be found, getting a quality spot put together for the November DIscovery Channel program would be tough. Not impossible, but certianly tough.

With respect to the forthcoming programming on the Discovery Channel, perhaps the best short-term solution would be to encourage them and the show's producer to put a 15-sec tag on the end of the program encouraging folks to contact NAR and TRA for additional info on sport rocketry?

James

_______________________

James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

And so many with money have been banned it would be futile anyway.

You could cut out the middleman and ask the discovery channel itself to make a short spot or slide to show each hour. They do promos for shows anyway and a slide of say the NAR and TRA websites (cringe) might be acceptable to them FOR FREE. You may be negotiating with the wrong folks. You want the editorial and promotions department.

And if you didn't get those URL's into 3 hours of editorial matter you just had bad planning.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

frank; I was with you until you mentioned BK...why don't you ask him to return = the approx 100K hes received over the years for a phantom magazine to = pay for the commercials, I'm sure he'll be willing to cooperate with you = on that... not....

shockie b)

Challenge) in

organizations

Reply to