What is it? C

Thank you Joe. NOW all you have to do is convince the un-washed millions in google land . :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

OH! and didn't "ole whatisname" invent the Internet ???? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I haven't been able to confirm any of the guesses on this one so far, but I'll add yours to the list.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

And Altavista is a superior search engine.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Huh? Internet Explorer is a browser. Netscape is a browser. Konqueror is a browser. Google is a _server_, not a _browser_.

Agent is also not a browser, it is a "newsreader", which is slightly different from the portal access called "Google Groups" provided via the Google server.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Google "violet wand"--there is one site that has an animation of that particular type of tube in operation.

Reply to
J. Clarke

#576 is obviously a chastity belt. You can just barely see the barbs in the second photo.

Reply to
osmium

More specifically, Google is a *web* server (HTTP protocol), not even a "news" (usenet) server (NNTP protocol).

Many web browers have the capability to talk the NNTP protocol, and POP protocol (one of the e-mail protocols), but Google does *not* serve newsgroups in that way. It serves them up as web pages, through what *I* find to be a terrible user interface.

And -- it is much *better* at being a newsreader than the web browers which include NNTP protocol capabilities. I don't use it, simply because I don't allow a Windows box which I may own to talk to the net. So -- I use common free source newsreaders written for unix systems (which is where usenet news got its start, anyway, so the unix newsreaders have had plenty of time to get to be very good at what they do.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Quote: Agent is also not a browser, it is a "newsreader", which is slightly different from the portal access called "Google Groups" provided via the Google server.

OK, Google iGroups is a news reader not a browser. I can read and post to news groups with it. I don't like it much compared to Agent but it was all I had for a while. It does have one feature I wish Agent had in that it makes a list of groups you have posted to so you can check on responses or rude replies. Any more nit picking?

Reply to
Gary

Quote: Agent is also not a browser, it is a "newsreader", which is slightly different from the portal access called "Google Groups" provided via the Google server.

OK, Google iGroups is a news reader not a browser. I can read and post to news groups with it. I don't like it much compared to Agent but it was all I had for a while. It does have one feature I wish Agent had in that it makes a list of groups you have posted to so you can check on responses or rude replies. Any more nit picking?

Reply to
Gary

OK, Googl Groups is a news reader not a browser. I can read and post to news groups with it. I don't like it much compared to Agent but it was all I had for a while. It does have one feature I wish Agent had in that it makes a list of groups you have posted to so you can check on responses or rude replies. Any more nit picking?

Gary Pewitt N9ZSV Sturgeon's Law "Ninety per cent of everything is crap"

Reply to
Gary Pewitt

Cheers! Rich

Reply to