Who's your favorite Usenet provider?

Gave up on my ISP last year, maybe 1/5 of posts show up there, the rest are lost.

Google Groups is OK but the delay is a drag.

Signed up for Teranews' almost-free service (one-time $4 charge) but it is unusably slow half the time and today the entire site is down.

Before I pop for the $52 for a year at Supernews, figure I'd ask again what works for folks who don't use their ISP.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Powell

With my Comcast cable internet I get a Giganews account. So far I have no complaints.

Lane

Reply to
lane

I have Verizon DSL.. who has their own news server. It's been ok for me.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

You may want to give Teranews a second chance if you are willing to pay. I used their $8.95 per month service a year or two ago and it was pretty good. I was many times better than the free service. I also had the free service from Teranews and it was a bit flakey, but hey, it was free! The pay servers are much better.

What do you have to loose? Pay them the $8.95 a month and try it. Unless they changed, there is no minimun sign up time. If I needed a good groups provider they would be getting my bussines again. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I've been using the NetNews service of DFN-CIS for several years now. I started using it because the one supplied by my (then) ISP wqas erratic and often seemed to lose posts. Its free and efficient. For more details, go to

-- Regards, Gary Wooding

(Change feet to foot to reply)

Reply to
Wooding

try news.individual.net

Reply to
bw

My ISP uses GigaNews. They are great, as far as I'm concerned. KS

Reply to
Kingfish Stevens

...>>

did you even try the Comcast/ATT news? i find it excellent w/slrn, certainly no need to buy another. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Second that.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

There's free public news servers out there..but it's kind of trial & error.

bart

I have used giganews directly for 4 years now. They have very good completion and persistence.

Usual disclaimers

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Bob,

My ISP added usenet service from newsfeeds.com just for me. It is very inexpensive to the ISP, and I have no complaints with the service.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

It seems to be stable now, but in the past 6 months I have had many problems with newsgroups in my Verizon DSL. (I'm located in Maryland, USA.)

*Reading* messages never seemed to be a problem, but *posting* often was. I'd have newsgroup messages that would sit in the outbox for hours and never get sent! There were many days I'd post exclusively to my free.teranews.com account.

The Verizon DSL newsgroup server also went through a "threashing" period with the username required for login. Sometimes it required snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net and other times just asdf12345 as the username. (asdf12345 isn't my real account number. In the interests of reducing spam, I'm not going to post the real account number. )

Things seemed to have stabalized now. It's a couple weeks since I've had to use the free.teranews.com to post a message.

I spoke with Verizon tech support but the people seemed to know less than I did... which is pretty sad.

Anyone else with similar Verizon DSL newsgroup experiences?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I heard about the Verizon usenet 'threashing' period... when I called to ask if I would need to make any changes, it only took them about two hours of 'on hold' time to tell me no, California accounts wern't involved. I saw in the Verizon groups many people had a lot of trouble as you describe, but there was never even a tiny glitch here.

I'm a Mac user, and use MT-Newswatcher as a newsreader, which means I have to keep with my own software, as Verizon 'tech support' won't even acknowledge anyhing but M$ software even exists. No problem, dealings with them suggests they're a far better liability than asset anyway... interaction with them will make you a heavy drinker.(Proud to announce I run a 100% M$ free machine, and have almost zero problems...simple, lean, mean, fast and flexible)

I've been with Verizon for about a year and a half, and other than my limited experience their 'tech support', really haven't had any issues to speak of... just Mickey Mouse stuff like the POP mail server was down once for a couple of hours... how bout that.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I highly recommend both Agent for a newsreader (it is my favorite, though you could use any newsreader software) and their APN newsprovider service.

For the news service see:

For the software, see:

Gene Kearns

OP post did not show up here.

general info:

For investigating ng services:
Free news server:
Mozilla news reader (still a little klutzy):
Nfilter (filters on MOST of the header, good troll filtering &free) (not always up.):
I stumbled on other locations while trying to learn how to use the filters, but don't bother with: DEAD LINK

And nfilter is also a file used with *bsd and the new MAC OS. Something about "flow". (shrug)

How to use "regular expressions" to make nfilter more useful:

Offbreed

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 17:51:46 -0500, "Gene Kearns" brought forth from the murky depths:

I've been using Agent since version 0.99 and love it.

I tentatively upgraded from v1.93 and am astonished that I see no virtually no difference in v2.0 other than the options pages are now combined. I'm sad that they didn't finish adding filtering options so we could filter threads, not just authors (spammers change names by the minute) and subject text. They state numerous improvements in speed, but I haven't seen it in 2 weeks of multi-use-daily trial.

What new goodies have you discovered? I'm tempted to remain with v1.93 with no compelling reason to upgrade. It's a disappointment, as I was looking forward to new and usable improvements. :(

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The big new feature, and it applies to this thread, is that Agent now lets you configure mulitiple usenet server accounts. It can automatically look for new articles on multiple servers, so if an article is missing on one server, it can grab it from another.

The advantage of this is that you can stay with the creaky old server your ISP provides for free, and use it when you send posts, but you can also configure a number of free usenet servers (most free ones are read only) that Agent will check for articles that aren't on your ISP's server.

If you configure Agent to automatically download any new header and body found, as I do, then this all becomes transparent. You don't have to care which server provided the missing messages, they're all right there ready for you to read when you get around to checking the group.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

news.individual.net Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

This feature will appear in 2.1. It is not yet available

Reply to
Gene Kearns