AOL Strikes Again!

Just saw the following note on my start-up. I hope that I can stay here, but if not, its been great guys!

Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla Thunderbird

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
We apologize for this inconvenience.

At least they appologized.......

The Old Timer

just get rid of aol .. for one thing,it's too expensive. and there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. If a person is sharp enough to navigate news groups.. they have already outgrown aol anyway.

Reply to
spiff

already

I am going through this with Compuserve. I am fed up with them anyway. Which companies are modelers having success with in terms of cheap easy access to this group?

Sincerely,

Albert Cherer

Reply to
AlbertCherer

Compuserve and AOL are one and the same as of 4 or 5 years ago. Dropped AOL long ago. Hung onto CS for many years due to their AVSIG forum - the first on-line forum and one of the all-time best in my opinion. Finally had to let them go after AOL got them and started screwing with the format.

AOL was overpriced (still is), lousy service and I was constantly getting disconnected. When it started happing at CS as a result of the merger, I left.

My current DSL does not support newsgroups but I get them through UsenetMonster

and read with Agent newsreader (free version or paid at
Usenet Monster has great pricing and has been more reliable and complete than any ISP I have used for newsgroups. Never been happier, though at first I was bummed when I discovered my carrier did not support newsgroups.

John W. Alger IPMS 10906 Charlotte Scale Modelers

Reply to
John Alger

I use my cable company for internet access- I get a package deal with basic cable and it's fast as all hell. Believe me, dumping AOL is a very smart move, but let AOL know WHY you are dumping them, first. Those overcharging scumbags!

Reply to
Jim Atkins

I've been considering this for a while also. Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions on some of the low cost ISP's being advertised lately? I've seen some free ones also, but are they even worth fooling with? $9.95/month isn't bad as long as the service is reliable. Mark

Reply to
M. Saunders

most isp's these days have no news server. check before you sign up.

Any suggestion on the best server?

We only do a couple of newsgroups and aol is dropping that service. Plus Lynne agrees that aol s too expensive.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I get my Usenet access (including binaries) via Verizon DSL. I hated to give up my dial-up ISP (used news.individual.net for Usenet) but dedicated phone line + ISP was just a little less than DSL and being able to dump said separate phone line.

Reply to
MJ Rudy
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

verizon's news server is ok. decent text retention. but don't ever call support and try to get a group added.

So we pay $10/month for ISP 'X', then another $10 for a news server...christ I'll be right back to what I'm paying for aohell

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

They have feed groups you can post in to request new groups. Check the .verizon groups.

Reply to
RJB
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

must be new. 3 years ago they were clueless-er.

there are exceptions. ask any potential isp about their news server. they might include an outsourced decent nsp.

Maybe, but you'll be rid of AOL... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Guys,

Can we make this simple. Web access to rms;

SB

"The time has come, The Walrus said, To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax Of cabbages and kings And why the sea is boiling hot And whether pigs have wings."

My kill file;

ProMedeller Azhosers

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks for the replies. I do already have a free newserver that handles binaries. There was only a one time setup fee of $3.95. Mark

Reply to
M. Saunders