How do non AOL users get here?

I'm in the process of changing from AoHell to AT&T. I sent a link to my new email and tried to get here with it, but it directed me through AOL because the
link I've been using has an AOL prefix (aol://5863:119/rec.models.scale), and that won't work once I drop AOL. Now I know many of you aren't AOL users, and this isn't an AOL NG, but you still get here just fine--the question is, how? Is there another piece to the actual web address that I don't see because I use AOL? If a few of you could cut and paste the actual address as it appears in your browser windows (not just a link) I'd appreciate it, then I can compare notes on what differences there may be for different users if there are any. I also tried my link for the alt.binaries site, and it won't work either. I know some alt.binaries sites are through GUBA (whatever that may be), and you have to pay for them, but I'm not about to pay for what has been free to this point. I don't want to lose you guys, so how about a little help?
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

how?
Your email program (e.g., MSFT Outlook Express) has an option for email. You have to fire that up. Then you download a list (20,000 or so) from your ISP and subscribe to rec.models.scale and any other newsgroup you're interested in. Also, you don't have to use your ISP's news group server. For example, there's freenews.netfront.net among several dozens of such servers available. You will have to contact your ISP for information on the specific settings they want for you to access the newsgroup server -- but this should be on your ISP's FAQ.
Boris
--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

new
because the

and
and
how?
I use

in
compare
any. I

you
this
I had the same problem when I changed from AOL to cable. It's just knowing what to do. I don't know what mail program you will be using -- I'm using Outlook Express. I would expect others would be fairly similar. When you open Outlook there is a newsgroup section. In that section is a place to subscribe. Click on that and you get a list -- if it's not on the list you can just type in rec.models.scale. Then I made a folder for newsgroups in the folder section, which is on the left side of the screen. Save to that folder and you should have quick access to the newsgroup. Hope this helps, J. Bright
Disco -- FlyNavy wrote:

Congratulations on *finally* gaining your freedom! You will soon be able to, for the first time, actually the experience the wonders of the Internet (AOL is not the "real" internet, as it is a filtered "content provider").
There are *many* ways to access UseNet. One reply mentioned Outlook Express. There are others. The Mozilla web browser has news-group capaqbility. I suggest giving it a try, as it is also a *wonderful* web browser, and email client. After getting used to Mozilla, you will probably wonder why so much of the world thinks so much of Internet Explorer. Mozilla has features, such as built-in pop-up blockers, and tabbed-browsing; that MicroSoft has not even come close to including in Internet Explorer.
Another alternate browser, which includes a news reader function, as well as a great email client; is Opera. It also features built-in pop-up blockers, and tabbed browsing. (Attention Mr Gates: Are you listening?...)
One of my favorite news readers, is a wonderful application called "Pan". It is strictly a newsreader, for accessing nntp-protocol content (such as this group). It has more features than you can shake a stick at.
There is always the old standby: Google. Google allows access to many (but not all) UseNet newsgroups. Google can be accessed in any web browser.
For more info, check out these links:
http://www.mozilla.org
http://www.opera.com
http://pan.rebelbase.com
http://groups.google.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.models.scale

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare 9.1

as an AOL-geek, I sometimes use Google, through dejanews to browse here when I'm on the road and don't have access otherwise. It's more clunky than even AOL's interface, but if you have to have a fix...
Mike please remove "diespam" to reply
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

new
because the

and
and
how?
I use

in
compare
any. I

you
this
You need a newsreader. There are several out there: Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc. You "subscribe" to a news server, your ISP will provide you with the info, and then either use the reader, or you can usually get there via your browser like news:rec.models.scale.
Most newsreaders will allow you to 'subscribe' to newsgroups so you don't have to wade through the 40000+ that are out there.
Enjoy.

Out of the pan and into the fire...
AT&T worse than AOL ever! You will learn. Be prepaired for the onslaught of spam and virus infected e-mails when you first logon to AT&T - don't read anything without an appropriate virus checker in operation.
Of course if you are still using dial up to gain access...it doesn't matter where you go for internet access, it will always suck.
I just switched for DSL to Cable modem and noticed a slight gain in speed. Even though I don't need to, I still use AOL as my e-mail box. Just been doing it there since ver 1.1 so It is old habit for me. only pay the bring your own ISP rate so pretty cheap.
Anyway, good luck with AT&T!
FredD

I'm seeing that already. Granted, I have dial-up, but AT&T gives slow a whole new twist, and I thought AoHell was bad!. The only reason we're switching is that AOL, with all the SBS, taxes, etc, was running about $40. We switched phone carriers from MCI to AT&T, and they told us their Worldnet was $11.95. I'm not working at the moment, and wifey said we'll switch to save some money, so here we are. As far as Internet Explorer, I use it due to lack of knowledge and experience. I've always used AOL, and I'm so used to it I thought Internet Explorer was about the only one I could use with paying extra for it. I assumed Outlook Express, Netscape, Earthlink,etc were all independent ISP's like AOL, and there would be a subscription fee. So apparently I don't have to use AT&T email? Sweet! I really appreciate the info gentlemen, thank you very much!!
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Disco -- FlyNavy wrote:

At a minimum move over to Netscape 7.1, or Mozilla as another poster suggested. Both include popup blockers, and WAY more security features than IE...like selectively blocking and life limiting cookies.
Outlook, Netscape, and Mozilla are mail clients/browsers...Earthlink, AOL, Netzero, AT&T, Verizon, etc. are ISPs. And I'd HIGHLY reccomend a cable modem if you can get one...especially if you're already hostage to a cable service provider. It's a better package overall, IMO.
--
- Rufus

AMEN!
RedFred1 wrote:

You should have e-mail account(s) through your cable provider...should be better.
Just say NO to AOL!
--
- Rufus

Rufus wrote:

Boy, I sure did! Went over to a local ISP (not exactly cheap at $20/mo., but it doesn't automatically hang up after a measly 10 min. either) and I've been one happy internet-surfing, r.m.s.-posting putz ever since...
--
Edwin

(Remove "DIESPAMDIE!")
Disco -- FlyNavy wrote:

I use the newsreader built into Netscape 7.1. Just set up your e-mail accounts and news server, click and subscribe. Couldn't be easier.
--
- Rufus

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.mil.nav (Disco -- FlyNavy) wrote in message

Turn left at Albuquerque - B. Bunny

You'll need a newsreader (I prefer XNews myself, but Outlook Express and Netscape Mail have a built in news reader.
After you get that you'll need a news server. Most ISP's will have one, but your retention might be somewhat low.
Several other providers are available for reasonable charges (I use TeraNews) if your ISP doesn't have an available server.
After you have your news server name, you input it into your news reader and bring up the list of available groups. You then just navigate the list until you find rec.models.scale and then just subscribe to the group. After downloading the list of articles you can then read messages and reply at your leisure.
Mike