rc.groups.com

Is this a new creation:

It seems it is taking a usegroup feed of this group (uk.rec.models.engineering), showing posts originating in this group as being from 'guest' and possibly explains why so many recent posts are not using the convention of including previous text in replies as posts are shown as a straight threaded listing.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Is this a new creation:

It seems it is taking a usegroup feed of this group (uk.rec.models.engineering), showing posts originating in this group as being from 'guest' and possibly explains why so many recent posts are not using the convention of including previous text in replies as posts are shown as a straight threaded listing.

AWEM

Notice Ive pasted your original to stop you having a heart attack... They are probably posting from google groups .... in google groups you can post so that the answer appears right underneath the last answer or right under the relevant person you are answering to..there for it all makes sense

if you go to the groups everything is in order and in a "tree" you can see answers and replies and everything makes sense. if you go and have a look it will all add-up .......and perhaps you will have second thoughts about this Snobby posting etiquette malarkey people adhere to. and post instead from the groups..... :)

all the best.....mark

Reply to
mark

It is not new. I found this forums back in May via rcgroups when I was looking for information on a Denford Orac. In some ways, I prefer the way they present the forum. The do have a reply button which includes the previoues quote. I recently set up my newsreader to access this forum and am now finding out that this is not ideal either. Blueyonder seem to have a retention time of only three or four days. Has anybody else found this to be a problem?

Archie

Reply to
Archie

"and perhaps you will have second thoughts" Well,that`s you told Andrew (BG). I usually snip the previous posts. Happy New Year,Mark.

Reply to
mark

I use

and not the feed from my ISP. Itend to use google groups when I'm not near a computer since it works OK on mobile devices like Blackberry etc.

Regards

Charles

Visit

Charles Ping

The "Snobby posting etiquette malarkey" is a set of rules to make usenet easier to use with a text based interface to the internet rather than an HTML based interface through the web. Deliberate mis-use of the the "rules" has been a ploy of trolls for well over a decade.

What's happening is that Google groups appears to be imposing a different set of rules on this group, which means effectively that I need to move to web based software (browser) in order to re-align to the new rules. I have no intention of doing this, because web based interfaces to Usenet are are appalling innefficient in their use of resources (with the exception of the so-called "binary" groups, where the reverse is true) and can be quite unwieldy to use. A personal view.

I've been using an interface to groups like this for just under 20 years, so you mustn't be surprised if you get a reaction if you try to change the status quo overnight. It's quite sad really, because this group is one of the best around in terms of not only knowledge sharing but also in physicals - you'll see quite a bit of free transport going on and free offers of equipment and materials. The "tone" of the group tends to be lacking in arrogance and the big ego's you see in other places, but majors on support for others. Please respect that.

Just my thoughts

Happy New Year

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Telepathy perhaps? 8-)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Snobbishness has nothing to do with it Mark. Usenet conventions were introduced in order to make sense of what could otherwise rapidly become chaotic and unintelligible. You may not like those conventions, and you may even have found a better way to access this group, but the fact remains that this newsgroup was created for Usenet and many of us still access it that way, particularly if, like me, we only have a slow dial-up connection. Discarding Usenet conventions here because it is convenient for you is a discourtesy to other users, somewhat like travelling abroad and expecting all foreigners to speak English because you are too lazy to learn their language.

Cliff Coggin

Reply to
Cliff Coggin
  1. Cliff Coggin Jan 1, 1:34 pm show options

Newsgroups: uk.rec.models.engineering From: "Cliff Coggin" - Find messages by this author Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 13:34:46 -0000 Local: Sun, Jan 1 2006 1:34 pm Subject: Re: rc.groups.com Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

Snobbishness has nothing to do with it Mark. Usenet conventions were introduced in order to make sense of what could otherwise rapidly become chaotic and unintelligible. You may not like those conventions, and you may even have found a better way to access this group, but the fact remains that this newsgroup was created for Usenet and many of us still access it that way, particularly if, like me, we only have a slow dial-up connection. Discarding Usenet conventions here because it is convenient for you is a discourtesy to other users, somewhat like travelling abroad and expecting all foreigners to speak English because you are too lazy to learn their

language.

Cliff Coggin

Well I've tried having them come in to the outlook express and they are muddled up ..and old posts when answered don't come to the front. The only way I could make sense of them was to delete the lot each day. as to answering them from my outlook express.this is a big no no. as it would give out my main email Addy to the world. I don't want to pratt about with disguising my email addy.

I respect your wishes to carry on the way you've been doing for the last ten years . THERE IS BIG "BUT" THOUGH !! The way Google groups is now set up.......your going to get a lot more of answers not containing the subject occurring. I've even had to force myself to paste your message in ..now because this will appear right under your the answer in Google and make perfect sense ........so it says to me ..why bother.....and it will also say to every person posting in the groups ...why bother. The way it is laid out in google..........is almost perfect ...........you can see what is going on.........no matter how somebody posts. So this is what your going to get.........more answers without the original questions..............it's not going to get better........it will get more and more common. BTW ...Google groups now posts your message instantly..within 3 mins........so you don't have to wait hours for your message to apear..like in the past..... it is also always bang up to date.

all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Why bother disguising your email address, it's pretty much available anywhere on the net if you use Google to search under your name? Most of the decent ISP's offer free filtering now, even Yahoo.

Posts that I make to any of the groups I subscribe to appear within the time it takes to update new posts, usually less than a minute, and while it may appear on Google immediately, it nearly always doesn't appear on Usenet as quickly, something I seem to remember others complaining about in the past. I am with BT Broadband.

Outlook Express was always a halfway house for news reading, which is why so many other programmes came along like Eudora, Agent etc etc. Microsoft saw no revenue in newsgroups so basically left it to others to sort out. Google has created a lot of interest in web-based reading and responding, but it has muddied the waters a lot for the existing community.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I've persevered with this post because of the subject but in future any post that is in a similar mess will simply be deleted unread!

Outlook and Outlook Express are to avoided at all costs even for e-mail and never were suitable for newsgroups.

A proper news-reader (there are many available) will correctly apply markings to the text indicating which came from each contributor. By simply pasting the text copied you made the matter worse in two ways;

1) you didn't mark each line to indicate the contributor and 2) you didn't bother to remove the extra linefeeds that you incorporated by you cut'n'paste method. ( I have done so above to make it more readable)

What is more, in your new text why have you inserted so many full stops within sentences? - another method to make it less readable.

I suspect that you are wrong in your assumption that it will only get worse since you will find that posts of this caliber will simply not receive any response.

JG

Reply to
JG

Using Outlook Express isn't a "big no no", you just create two accounts, one for your pop3 server and one for your news server, then set the email address separately for each in 'properties'. That's exactly how this message got on Usenet and if you try to reply to me (as opposed to the group) you will get my spam proofed email address. A lot of people knock it but OE does work as a simple new reader, binary groups are a totally different proposition though.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Use their text server (news-text.blueyonder.co.uk) rather than the main server (which is mostly used for binaries, and the retention and completion are a joke).

Reply to
Wally

This is not a "Google group" and never was. Google are offering a broken html interface to a usenet news feed.

Google can't post your message instantly since usenet relies on thousands of nntp servers around the world feeding news articles to each other. This takes time.

Usenet existed before the Internet (Yes, really!) and doesn't need changing for those with no manners.

Please learn another bit of usenet etiquette troll....

PLONK

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark Rand scribbled....

Usenet existed before the Internet (Yes, really!) and doesn't need changing for those with no manners.

Please learn another bit of usenet etiquette troll....

PLONK Mark Rand RTFM

Well Mark has plonked me ...guess that makes him a Plonker. Wish him a very good New Year for me,will you guys or all is forgiven if he has been on the plonk. :)

all the best.....mark

Reply to
mark

OH-BTW ....just noticed there is a reply option that enables me to reply properly ..didnt know it was there 'till now.. so please forgive my ignorence so in order to keep you all smiling and happy ........will do this in future ...as it does not mean any extra phaffing around. all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

You can see how the newsgroup "feeds" onto a forum at the following ur

-

I have got to admit it is a very useful set up for me as i can keep a eye on and interact with several newsgroups that are of interest to me

-- Ro

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roy's Profile:

this thread:

Roy

I have no problem using Outlook Express. Maybe you aren't sorting messages correctly. Click on the column headings to sort by Subject, From, Sent, Size etc.

By the same token you are going to get a lot of people who will not bother to respond to a thread you initiate if you don't take the trouble to learn the system.

Why paste a copy of my message when you can use the Reply Group button on Outlook Express, which does it all for you?

I see no problem with the layout in OE provided posts are sorted as I mentioned above. Like all computer applications, one needs to learn how to use it.

My posts generally appear instantly so what is the advantage of a web based system?

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Seems a long way round to achieve the same as a Usenet feed into Free Agent. And a lot of gobbledy gook with "Warning: array_merge" and "please register" staring me in the face. Might work for some people but not me. I'm sure that it has a market.

In Google's defence it does have the benefit of a searchable archive.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Which is both a blessing and a curse. Very useful as so much has been covered in the past and many questions can be answered by searching here. The problem is getting distracted by the other semi-related but interesting posts, and spending far too much time reading this when I could be in the workshop doing something:)

On a different note, it has been warm enough over the past few days to spend time in there now, and it is a shame that I have to return to work tomorrow. I had a list of projects to work on over the Christmas break, and managed only one. Happy new year to all.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill