A message for George Corinne

Your mother is calling you!

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Some advice, Phil. There are posters that operate with the same methods as meowers. These posters are pests that attempt to drag others into confrontational postings. This is their recreation. So simply ignore them and they are defeated. If you don't know what meowers are try a Google search. They date back to the very beginning of newsgroups.

Reference:

The Meow Wars was an early example of spam sent over Usenet where several Usegroup posters posted a large amount of nonsense messages. These messages frequently contained the word "meow" and other feline references, all indirectly mocking a series of parodies of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood character Henrietta Pussycat that had been posted by the students. [1] These references were the reason for the "Meower" appellation.

The Meow Wars started on the newsgroup alt.fan.karl-malden.nose and spread throughout the alt.* hierarchy, the so-called "Big 8" groups, and out to the wider Internet, lasting for over one year. The original Meowers were denizens of alt.tv.beavis-n-butthead who responded to the January 9, 1996 "invasion" staged by Harvard students from alt.fan.karl-malden.nose[citation needed]. Once the Harvard students abandoned alt.fan.karl-malden.nose, it became the Meowers' base of operations for what they called their "UseNet Performance Art"[citation needed].

The Meowers

The unique speech patterns of Henrietta Pussycat were the inspiration for Usenet meowing.One distinctive hallmark of the Meowers' posting activity was the "cascade," in this instance a large number of messages and replies posted in rapid succession, and typically spread among large numbers of newsgroups. [2]

Escalation As the Meowers spilled over into more newsgroups, some experienced Usenetters placed the word "meow" and names of commonly seen Meowers into personal filters known as killfiles. This would often lead to the practice of "morphing," where some Meowers repeatedly altered their message headers and text so their messages would bypass those filters. Some users attempted to engage the Meowers with threats, complaints or insults. In response, the Meowers used tools like Deja News to find the favorite newsgroups of Usenet posters who criticized them and invade those as well[citation needed].

The Meowers did not restrict their activities to Usenet. Since most Usenet posters generally still used their real electronic mail addresses when posting (e-mail spam had not yet become a major problem), Meowers found it easy to flood mail accounts with thousands of nonsense messages, typically via anonymous remailers. The mail messages were often constructed so that they appeared to originate from other people. The mail systems at Boston University and other area colleges were rendered inoperable by one of these floods[citation needed].

Another Meower, or at least a willing co-conspirator of the Meowers, was Grillo the Clown, who insisted that his epic-length crosspostings of obscene surrealist rants were not only performance art, but that they were protected by Grillo's right to free speech. Grillo also maintained that his gibberish was absolutely not off-topic to the subjects of the various newsgroups, and that his postings, however incomprehensible, were his heartfelt and valid statements regarding each of those topics.

In yet another series of incidents reported[citation needed] in news sources covering Usenet issues to be caused by Meowers (or, at least, to parties claiming to be such), floods of forged control messages (special articles that are used to control news servers) caused the creation of hundreds of oddly-named newsgroups to appear at many locations. About this time, other Meower incidents included Fluffy the Cat-a parody[3] of a Harvard student's[4] pet [5] and self-proclaimed owner of Usenet-announced the creation of news.admin.cascade.[6][7] The control flood prompted some Usenet users to adopt digital signatures to verify the authenticity of such messages.

Countermeasures Some Usenet posters added many of the Meower posters to their target lists, and demanded that Meowers' service providers disconnect them[citation needed]. The results of these measures were mixed, as not all servers accepted cancel messages and there were many servers (often inadvertently) open for posting if a Meower's regular access was terminated.

Usenet administrator Stanley J. Kalisch III was one well-known[citation needed] "despammer" with the authority to block posters from multiple Usenet servers. Kalisch III declared a limited form of Usenet Death Penalty (UDP) when he became offended by what he termed "spammed cascades." He initially targeted several posting addresses,[8] followed by the first-ever UDP of a specific person, Raoul Xemblinosky (also known as Bufford L. Hatchett and other names).[9] Previously, UDP actions were reserved for servers.

Kalisch III later declared UDPs on four other Meowers. Some Usenet posters[citation needed] criticized these bans, stating that the use of UDP violated a limitation that Usenet adminstrators could only ban specific types of content rather than all posts by a user. As Usenet aged, and the morphing of e-mail addresses and de-facto handles evolved, Kalisch III's ran into technical obstacles in declaring UDPs.

May Usenet administrators and users saw abuse of anonymous remailers and open news servers as a nuisance. In response to the activities of Meowers[citation needed], some anonymous remailers were modified so that news posting was restricted, and many open servers were closed. These efforts would be redoubled later when spammers and other vandals began to mimic Meower tactics. The most notable[citation needed] of these vandals was Hipcrime, who flooded many groups with senseless posts constructed using a steganography filter.

Another development that helped to curb Meower activity was server-side article filtering. Limitations could be placed on combinations of newsgroups, posting rates, and other article characteristics. Unlike cancels, server-side filtering only affects the servers on which it is installed.

Reply to
electrician

For the past two and a half years, Gerald Newton, who has registered this site under the name of Phillip Newton, with ISP 216.115.114.199, (use Google to find "Whois" and run the ISP). He lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and has an extensive criminal record for beating up women.

-- I am a woman who has lived in Alaska for 11 years. The ONLY acquaintance we have is....posting on alt.culture.alaska. If you go to that site you will see that Newton has done to the Alaska site, what I have now done to his, i.e. "Removed the Subject Title and placed a "!" in it.

-- After two and a half years of being harassed and abused by Newton, it seemed the only thing left for me to try since neither Yahoo or Google would stop him.

-- As you can see, Newton is using my e-mail address of: "george_corinne (at) yahoo.com EXCEPT he has written corinne with

2-r's, i.e. corrine. He has also used my real name "Sylvia".

-- He has used my name and addy to post the most filthy of sex and racists posts in my name also.

Reply to
sylvia

| For the past two and a half years, Gerald Newton, who has registered | this site under the name of Phillip Newton, with ISP 216.115.114.199, | (use Google to find "Whois" and run the ISP). He lives in Fairbanks, | Alaska and has an extensive criminal record for beating up women. | -- | I am a woman who has lived in Alaska for 11 years. The ONLY | acquaintance we have is....posting on alt.culture.alaska. If you go to | that site you will see that Newton has done to the Alaska site, what I | have now done to his, i.e. "Removed the Subject Title and placed a "!" | in it.

He does not own this site. This is a community.

You are a spammer!

| After two and a half years of being harassed and abused by Newton, it | seemed the only thing left for me to try since neither Yahoo or Google | would stop him.

You are a spammer!

Some of us are already approaching your provider, webtv.net, to get your account cancelled for abusing _us_ in _our_ newsgroup.

| As you can see, Newton is using my e-mail address of: | "george_corinne (at) yahoo.com EXCEPT he has written corinne with | 2-r's, i.e. corrine. He has also used my real name "Sylvia".

Take your matter up with him, or the polic, or your lawyer. In the mean time, we will be working to have your internet access canceled for abuse.

| He has used my name and addy to post the most filthy of sex and racists | posts in my name also.

Take your matter up with him, or the polic, or your lawyer. In the mean time, we will be working to have your internet access canceled for abuse.

| Here is a url with Newton's abusive posts on 503 threads in which there | many be up to 5 posts on each thread.

We don't care. Maybe we might have if you hadn't proven to us right up front that you are an idiot.

| Note: Feel Free to use this post of mine to get "My posts" where I have | complained about his insane and obsessive posts. I am sure that his 2 | 1/2 years of abuse is do to his obsessive insanity and hatred of women. | While you may like this site of his, you should KNOW YOU ARE DEALING | WITH A CRIMINALLY INSANE, WOMAN BEATER.

I'll feel free to use this post to get your webtv.net access canceled.

| NEWTON'S POST ON THIS THREAD IS "TYPICAL" OF WHAT SEXUAL PSYCHOPATHS | DO, I.E. "BLAME THE VICTIM". NEWTON POSTED A LONG HISTORY ABOUT THE | USENET GANGS, OF WHICH NEWTON, HIMSELF IS ONE OF THE WORST, BY HIS | ABUSE OF ME ANY MANY ON THE ALASKA GROUP.

Your caps lock key is on.

| SO SORRY GUYS, I MADE TWO POSTS AND NEWTON MADE ONE. SINCE HE DIDN'T | COVER-UP MY POSTS THIS TIME, I CAN ONLY BELIEVE HE FINALLY "GOT MY | MESSAGE", THAT I WILL STOP HARASSING "HIS ELECTRICAL SITE", IF HE | LEAVES ME AND THAT ALASKA SITE ALONE. IF HE DOESN'T, THEN I WILL BE | FORCED TO CONTINUE ON THIS SITE, UNLESS YOU GUYS CAN STOP THIS LUNATIC. | SYLVIA

Harassing everyone else is never justified. Take your matter up with him, the police, or a lawyer.

| NEWTON HAS USED MORE THAN 100 ALIASES ALSO.

So what.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Thanks Phil. Most of what Sylvia says is a lie. I live in North Pole, Alaska and am the owner of electrician2.com, formerly the mirror site for electrician.com. I sold the domain name electrician.com in april. You can find everything out about me at electrician2.com. I do not have the time or desire to do all the things Sylvia accuses me of.

Reply to
electrician