Do we need a replacement group?

I am wondering if the flood of spam is going to basically kill Usenet. It is happening to ALL the newsgroups I subscribe to. I know
droves of people leaving this and other Usenet groups.
I also subscribe to a number of Yahoo groups. Even when posting itself is not moderated, there IS a moderator for each group. So far there has been no attacks of similar scale on these groups. Even if it does eventually occur, one can then switch to moderating all messages with a quick setting of options, unlike the "voting" process needed to do this with Usenet. There can also be moderating of who joins the list, and posting restricted to members only.
So far, however, all of the Yahoo groups I participate in related to modeling are genre specific or limited in other ways. There is no group with the wide topics of discussion, which is why I stay with rms. I do not want to take on moderating another Yahoo group, as I already moderate two. But if anyone else would like to start a "scale modeling" group, that is- a very wide subject group, I would be happy to help, and maybe co-moderate (Yahoo allows a number of co-moderators to be set up to help administer each group).

I would be willing to help with the moderating if we can get a consensus from the regulars on this board. We would need the support of everyone who hangs out here to make it worthwhile.

I'm filtering out around 95% of the spam with News Proxy and it makes a big difference. You think rms has it bad, take a hike over to rec.woodworking. Something like a couple of hundred spam posts a day over there. I'm now beginning to consider a UDP on google groups, which is unfair on the legitimate guys who post from there to rms but enough is enough.
on 4/22/2008 10:40 AM flak monkey said the following:

I also subscribe to rec.woodworking. As a one-time woodworker, I just lurk mostly. Since my filters are set on my newsserver rather than each individual group, all my subscribed groups use the one set of filter rules, so I don't get 99% of the spam there, or on any other subscribed groups.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How does one set up filters for this crap? I'vce never seen anything on the Usenet interface that would lead me to think there is a filter of any sort?
I'm very near to scrapping my connection with most mailing lists and Usenet. The spam has increased dramatically everywhere. It's just not worth my time to wade through the mailing list messages any more.
The spam comes from the same few sources everywhere I go. There must be a way to stop it, and there also must be a lot of money in sending it.
snipped-for-privacy@ohiohills.com wrote:

I use the filters within my email/news reader Thunderbird. Grandpa John

Okay, but how? I come on two or three times a day, but I doubt that that would be enough to fight the spam if I was moderating. I think that it would be a big job. Might be easier to either start a Yahoo group or co-opt an existing one that has fallen into disuse. I belong to a bunch that haven't seen action in months, some cases years. By the same token, there isn't any spam there either.

There will be if the groups become active. I belong to several yahoo groups but even most of the active ones are slow, and frankly, often dull. Not to mention that in some cases the slightest off topic comment gets you banned or at least roundly cussed. I'd like to see RMS saved and the spammers booted, but it aint gonna happen.
eyeball wrote:

Sounds incredibly uninteresting. I already hang around the board at Spotlight Hobbies (formerly Hobby Heaven). It's privately owned and run and you can't say things that might annoy the owner or harshly criticise a car model kit, aftermarket supplier or one of the other posters (I wouldn't savage a co-poster, anyway ;)). Off-topic subjects are frequent. I guess I go there to see other's models and the occasional reference material shown. When they stick to the models it is one of the better places for info, BUT, I like this format much better.

I'm wondering if it isn't tied into the Tibet mess. It seemed to take off around that time. Since little in China is done that the government doesn't know about, I wouldn't be surprised to find them behind it.
Personally, I have no plans to watch any of the Olympics. That's partly because the Nothing But Crap network does such a miserable job on the ones I have watched and partially because I think holding the games there was about as bright as holding them in Berlin in '36.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Just a point - moderation doesn't stop SPAM.
It is trivially easy to forge approval of a message, and nasty programs *designed* to do bad things to newsgroups make it even easier.
Getting a vote through with enough *participants* would be a problem at the moment, far less worrying about which way the vote would go.
So, we'd have to get enough votes for "rec.models.scale.mod" to be created, then wait for it propagate, and so on. Changing groups to be moderated doesn't work.
    Cheers,         Gary    B-)
I agree, something needs to be done or it's the end of newsgroups for me.
My ISP doesn't provide newsgroup access so I took out an AstraNews subscription. Basically, if it is still like this when my quota runs out then I shan't be renewing.
Cheers,
Nigel
Killfile the bastards I say, delete or simply ignore the posts. I personally do not use a killfile feature, I just read what is of interest to me and get rid of the spam or junk. However, if the group decides to go with a moderator, count me in, but don't have me sign in with a password and other secret society crap.
Ray =Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

Snip

The problem with killfiles is that many of us have ISPs who no longer support Usenet, and so we cannot use newsreaders (unless we pay for a third party server provider). So we use a web interface, usually Google groups.
on 4/23/2008 9:58 AM Don Stauffer in Minnesota said the following:

I pay about .20 cents a day for Supernews.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
4/23/2008 9:58 AM Don Stauffer in Minnesota said the following:> > > >

the posts. I> >> personally do not use a killfile feature, I just read what is of interest> >> to me and get rid of the spam or junk. However, if the group decides to> >> go with a moderator, count me in, but don't have me sign in with a> >> password and other secret society crap.> > >> Ray> >> ===> > >> Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:> > >>> I am wondering if the flood of spam is going to basically kill> >>> Usenet. It is happening to ALL the newsgroups I subscribe to. I know> >>> droves of people leaving this and other Usenet groups.> > >> Snip> > > The problem with killfiles is that many of us have ISPs who no longer> > support Usenet, and so we cannot use newsreaders (unless we pay for a> > third party server provider). So we use a web interface, usually> > Google groups.> > I pay about .20 cents a day for Supernews.> > --> > Bill> In Hamptonburgh, NY> To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -> > - Show quoted text -I know that spam, especially the bulk that this particular asshole is peddling, is irritating, but is it really so damned hard to spend three or four seconds passing it over?Tom

It's just that some days you can't find an on topic post between all the spam postings. It's damn annoying...

Many years ago, someone invited me to join their Yahoo group called Armorholics. I joined and was made a moderator, but it is basically a free, but unused armor modeling site. I offer it up to anyone who wants to take it over as a successor to RMS. Or if someone wants to see how that Yahoo group is formed and can create an RMS group using the Armorholics site as a template.
RobG
Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

How do you set filters in thunderbird to stop most of the spam I have alwasy likes RMS and would not like to see it die
Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

How do you set filters in thunderbird to stop most of the spam I have alwasy likes RMS and would not like to see it die
one - block all incoming news from groups.google.com
two - block all messages with one of the following words in the title, jeans, sneakers, watch
and its gone.
We have similar problems at work with spam and phishers - and the IT guys apply appropriate filters - and bang its gone.
There should be some kind of a tool to delete unwanted messages, in outlook its under tools pulldown then Message rules.
Eventually legimate users will abandon google - followed by the spamers -
Val Kraut