Set Up a Yahoo Group...

I'm a recent denizen on this group the past year and have been grateful for the information I've received from a number of folks on a few posts
I've made in that time. However, I see there's a lot of flame wars started (in particular, the verbal attacks by one particular person) that really degrade the atmosphere of the group. I've seen similar net lunatics destroy other previously excellent newsgroups.
There is a refuge from this sort of thing. A former fantastic usenet group for my wargaming hobby was degraded by trolls and what was once hundreds of messages a day is now only 2 or 3 in a week. This is because we all went for the moderated yahoo groups or web bulletin boards.
You guys should set up a yahoo group - they can be moderated and nonsense can be cut out. By posting in a forum such as this, you just feed people like curtmchere (who will doubtless respond to this and start railing instead of thinking about why a relative stranger has pegged him the way I have).
--
Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal /
^o<
Tim Marshall wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I suggest you google my handle. 8) And take a look at the headers.
--
Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal /
^o<
*snip*

You're welcome to go elsewhere. I'm a co-owner of a Yahoo! Group about HO scale model railroads, and new members are always welcome. Just so I don't get accused of hijacking the thread to promote my personal interest, I won't mention the name of the group.
There's also the trains.com forums, if you're looking for a more general set up.
Puckdropper

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:59:35 -0330, Tim Marshall wrote:

Pure usenet is faster, no ads, no wasted screen space - and all you have to do is "Elf" him, (to use archaic Compuserve slang derived from "L flagging" from a forum) that is, kill file him in your own newsreader.
--
Steve

Tim Marshall spake thus:

Thanks, but no thanks. The noise from that one individual aside, Usenet is a far better medium of communication than some commercial site that sets up web-based forums. Ever try to follow a threaded conversation on a Yahoo group? It's damn near impossible.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

It's much, much better than it used to be; posts are now threaded by reference instead of by subject name.
But point well taken. I just made an observation based on the signal to noise ration here caused by one individual. A group I frequented since 1996, rec.games.miniatures.historical, was reduced to oblivion largely because of similar behaviour. It used to be an absolutely marvellous group.
--
Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal /
^o<
Tim Marshall spake thus:

Well, your concern is noted, but I've heard these kinds of "the sky is falling" warnings before on various Usenet newsgroups, invariably due to one disruptive person. As I've pointed out before, despite the best efforts of that person to fuck things up royally, information is still being transmitted here: good questions being asked and answered, interesting things noted, and useful discussions (and even arguments) taking place.

Have it sent to your e-mail. I subscribe to about a dozen Yahoo groups. Except for 2, they are all e-mailed to me. I have filters set up that direct the e-mail from each group into their own folders. And in one case (N-scale) I divide it into two folders. the e-mail program threads up the conversations too.
Gordon spake thus:

No, I don't *want* it sent to my email. Then I've got to sort through hundreds/thousands of messages that are now sitting on *my computer*, eating up *my* hard disk space.
Through the magic of NNTP and Usenet access through my ISP, all this is nicely handled and stored on *their* equipment. Less muss, less fuss.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

HI David,
I realize the consensus here seems to be to stick with usenet (and that's great) but the above is a little off. As Gordan said, if you use filters, you don't have to sort through huge amounts of email.
The trouble with yahoo groups is anyone's dog can create one and sometimes competing groups spring up either out of ignorance of the existence of the other(s) or out of silly competitive spite.

AFAIK, at least according to my university news admins (who have been managing usenet connections since sometime in the early 80s), a lot of ISPs are dropping usenet. I know a very major ISP in Canada, Rogers, has dropped newsgroup feeds and I believe AOL has as well.
I don't know enough about it and actually feel the way you do, except when trolls get really disruptive (and the only place I'm afraid I see them not wreaking havoc are on focused computer tech groups, such as in the com.databases.* hierarchy) but I've read opinion pieces in hard copy tech journals that claim "usenet is obsolete" and will eventually "die out". That sucks in my opinion.
--
Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal /
^o<
I agree this train board RMR should be avoided due to Steve's potty mouth and trashing of everyone It is a shame there are no trains on this train board. I am praying it will change but so far moving to a group where bad language can be cleaned out is a better solution so yes please move to another board and clean it up . Amen.
Tim Marshall wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus:

You go too. And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Inshallah, brother.
I'll hang around.
Still enough good information that I can weed out the trash as necessary.
Howard Garner
snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

And your holyness (it is not a board).

It a shame that you can not concentrate on trains instead of bashing al other

Could you follow him?
Please ?
Klaus
Fake name German and fake name Muslim who are really steve, you are the reasons this board is full of foul language so please go to Yahoo or anywhere or better yet, answer my prayers and clean up your mouths. I only bash your bad words and trashing of people which is all you do day and night
Klaus D. Mikkelsen wrote:

Don't see a big problem. This group continues to exchange meaningful information on the model railroad experience. And disruptive forces can easily be dealt with either by ignoring or deleting their postings. Once they find they have no impact on the group, they will quickly lose interest and go away.
Roy Williams