Set Up a Yahoo Group...

I'm a recent denizen on this group the past year and have been grateful for the information I've received from a number of folks on a few posts I've made in that time. However, I see there's a lot of flame wars started (in particular, the verbal attacks by one particular person) that really degrade the atmosphere of the group. I've seen similar net lunatics destroy other previously excellent newsgroups.

There is a refuge from this sort of thing. A former fantastic usenet group for my wargaming hobby was degraded by trolls and what was once hundreds of messages a day is now only 2 or 3 in a week. This is because we all went for the moderated yahoo groups or web bulletin boards.

You guys should set up a yahoo group - they can be moderated and nonsense can be cut out. By posting in a forum such as this, you just feed people like curtmchere (who will doubtless respond to this and start railing instead of thinking about why a relative stranger has pegged him the way I have).

Reply to
Tim Marshall

trainspeeddemon

Tim Marshall wrote in news:ep36rf$vq0$ snipped-for-privacy@coranto.ucs.mun.ca:

*snip*

You're welcome to go elsewhere. I'm a co-owner of a Yahoo! Group about HO scale model railroads, and new members are always welcome. Just so I don't get accused of hijacking the thread to promote my personal interest, I won't mention the name of the group.

There's also the trains.com forums, if you're looking for a more general set up.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Pure usenet is faster, no ads, no wasted screen space - and all you have to do is "Elf" him, (to use archaic Compuserve slang derived from "L flagging" from a forum) that is, kill file him in your own newsreader.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Tim Marshall spake thus:

Thanks, but no thanks. The noise from that one individual aside, Usenet is a far better medium of communication than some commercial site that sets up web-based forums. Ever try to follow a threaded conversation on a Yahoo group? It's damn near impossible.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Reply to
curtmchere

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus:

You go too. And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Inshallah, brother.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'll hang around.

Still enough good information that I can weed out the trash as necessary.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

And your holyness (it is not a board).

It a shame that you can not concentrate on trains instead of bashing al other

Could you follow him?

Please ?

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Reply to
curtmchere

I suggest you google my handle. 8) And take a look at the headers.

Reply to
Tim Marshall

It's much, much better than it used to be; posts are now threaded by reference instead of by subject name.

But point well taken. I just made an observation based on the signal to noise ration here caused by one individual. A group I frequented since

1996, rec.games.miniatures.historical, was reduced to oblivion largely because of similar behaviour. It used to be an absolutely marvellous group.
Reply to
Tim Marshall

Tim Marshall spake thus:

Well, your concern is noted, but I've heard these kinds of "the sky is falling" warnings before on various Usenet newsgroups, invariably due to one disruptive person. As I've pointed out before, despite the best efforts of that person to f*ck things up royally, information is still being transmitted here: good questions being asked and answered, interesting things noted, and useful discussions (and even arguments) taking place.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Don't see a big problem. This group continues to exchange meaningful = information on the model railroad experience. And disruptive forces can = easily be dealt with either by ignoring or deleting their postings. = Once they find they have no impact on the group, they will quickly lose = interest and go away.

Roy Williams

Reply to
Roy & Lynn Williams

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:45b56c54$0$17954 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Have it sent to your e-mail. I subscribe to about a dozen Yahoo groups. Except for 2, they are all e-mailed to me. I have filters set up that direct the e-mail from each group into their own folders. And in one case (N-scale) I divide it into two folders. the e-mail program threads up the conversations too.

Reply to
Gordon

Gordon spake thus:

No, I don't *want* it sent to my email. Then I've got to sort through hundreds/thousands of messages that are now sitting on *my computer*, eating up *my* hard disk space.

Through the magic of NNTP and Usenet access through my ISP, all this is nicely handled and stored on *their* equipment. Less muss, less fuss.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

HI David,

I realize the consensus here seems to be to stick with usenet (and that's great) but the above is a little off. As Gordan said, if you use filters, you don't have to sort through huge amounts of email.

The trouble with yahoo groups is anyone's dog can create one and sometimes competing groups spring up either out of ignorance of the existence of the other(s) or out of silly competitive spite.

AFAIK, at least according to my university news admins (who have been managing usenet connections since sometime in the early 80s), a lot of ISPs are dropping usenet. I know a very major ISP in Canada, Rogers, has dropped newsgroup feeds and I believe AOL has as well.

I don't know enough about it and actually feel the way you do, except when trolls get really disruptive (and the only place I'm afraid I see them not wreaking havoc are on focused computer tech groups, such as in the com.databases.* hierarchy) but I've read opinion pieces in hard copy tech journals that claim "usenet is obsolete" and will eventually "die out". That sucks in my opinion.

Reply to
Tim Marshall