Yahoo Groups Fiasco

The Yahoo Groups have made a big change. They are switching to the Facebook Swamp format. The Group users have gone ballistic. I belong to eleven groups and deleted all my Files and Photos I have posted over the years.

Below is one link to this issue.

Yahoo wants more social interaction. I went there, I did this today. Yuck. Who cares.

Rich

I copied this from one of the Yahoo Groups.

I desided to do some Yahoo group testing this afternoon. The one interesting thing I saw was when you get near the blue highlighted words the reply word pops up in blue and the cpu usage goes way up.

If your machine is seeing 100% cpu usage slow yourself down and take your hand off the mouse until the cpu returns to a normal idle value. If your PC is overloaded more clicking and mouse movments will make it worse and seem to be locked up.

Well I desided to try a different PC "The Beast" There may be faster PCs but this is the faster we have, an AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.90 GHz 2 gig of memory and the operating system is on a raptor hard drive and seperate drives for data. This PC was to be used for graphics. IE 7.0.5730.13 windows XP pro SP3

When switching from (conversations) to (messages by date) you guessed it no problems, everything seems fast with the new format using IE. maybe a peak at 50-70% on one core for a couple of seconds and then down to 0-3%, never see 100%..

My 2.4 GHZ pentium 4 with 2 gig of memory with XP pro SP2 When switching from (conversations) to (messages by date) C-M 30 sec and then M-C 10-15 sec I do peg at 100% but it is working better today. The one thing I didn't mention was even when page is loaded CPU is still pegged at 100% for a while.

I didn't put SP3 on this PC when it came out but I am thinking that is not the problem. The real problem is the programming that Yahoo did related to what I call a pop up (I think my wife calls them roll overs) and perhaps other things I can't see and the impact on the usage of the CPU usage that they are having.

If you think about it it is really getting bad when we need a high end PC to share mostly text information and this does not address the format issues. I never considered my 2.4 GHZ pentium slow for we browsing until now.

To see CPU usage bring up the task manager and select the performance tab.

Dan

Rich

On 9/16/2010 8:23 AM Rich spake thus:

[snip]

The one thing whoever posted that message omitted to say was what browser they were using. Since this is the application that's actually generating all those CPU cycles, it would help to know which one it is.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4c929a50$0$2393$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

From above (end of 3rd paragraph of original post):

IE 7.0.5730.13 windows XP pro SP3 for the AMD system but I think it's some version of IE for the Intel system

Reply to
John Carter

On 9/21/2010 9:21 AM John Carter spake thus:

Well, we know the OS (and the CPU) but not the browser. Makes a difference.

Of course, we should keep in mind that there are two aspects to this problem: one is the efficiency (or lack thereof) of the application (browser) used to view the web page; the other is, apparently, super-bloated code used in the page itself, no doubt written by geeks with maxed-out computers on their desks (super-fast CPUs and gigs and gigs of memory), who assume that everyone else has the same hardware that they have.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 9/21/2010 9:21 AM John Carter spake thus:

Whoops, my bad: I guess we do know it's IE.

Wonder if Firefox would be any better. (Might not; I use FF, and speed of execution is not one of its strong points.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl