Myford lever-operated tailstock

Can anyone supply me with linkage dimensions and maybe a photo of a lever-operated tailstock for an ML7?

Somehow I doubt Santa is going to be bringing one, so decided to make my own instead; I'm curious as to how much leverage theirs gives.

cheers Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

Oddly, Guy, I sent a complete set of Cleeve drawings for his Skew Rack tailstock to a someone in this Forum- and only a few days ago. So far, he hasn't had the courtesy to tell me to get stuffed.I also put him in touch with more Forums which could have benefitted him.

Currently, I am sitting with crates of other Myford information which was going to go onto websites. It's going to infill now.

And a Dickensian Christmas to all my readers!

Norman Atkinson

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Don't be upset Norman there are plenty of us who do appreciate your help. Trouble is that most are part of the "silent majority". Don't forget even Dickens had some happy endings. Anyway putting such useful stuff in landfill wouldn't be very green would it. Recycling and all that, good information is much more important than just old paper.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Keith, Didn't Dickens write "Hard Times"? And of course, he was a blackboot polish maker- and you know just where I would like to put some.

ravensworth2674

Have a look at 'lathes' site

's a picture of one when you scroll down. That might help.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Norman, no doubt applied to a "size 9" initially - aids the final application.

He did indeed write "Hard Times" but also "Great Expectations" and also that classsic short story "Idiots".

Or, one with perhaps more engineering connection "Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices".

Forgive me Norman, but at least the titles work.

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Courage Brother,do not weaken. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Looking at the picture referred to by Dragon, my ML7 tailstock has the pivot for the rear link 46mm from the centre line of the tailstock. The link itself is 66mm between pivots, and the pivot near the rear clamp ring is 71mm along the lever arm from the link pivot. The lever arm itself extends 300mm past the rear clamp (but it has been extended from the original by replacing ball end with a long wooden handle).

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

In an earlier posting, I suggested accessing Yahoogroups and going into the MyMford and the mlathemods groups of which there are several. I think that the Cleeve rack which was well tested on both the ML4 and the ML7 was also tried, If memory holds up, on an Exe lathe.

The important thing is that Cleeve produced items which were fabricated rather than from castings. As most will appreciate, castings are now becoming prohibitive in price especially after adding post and packing.

If, Guy, you are still stuck- please E-mail me for the Skew Rack thing. Cleeve did go into the pressures quite well.

Have I ignored our 'Mutual Friend' who should remain unfinished?

And- 'Sketches by Bo(a)z'? for which one should be pilloried.

Em? Ravensworth2674

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Norman

Glad to see you are out of that "Bleak House" anyway

and without a trip to "Doctor Marigold"

Still enough for tonight I've heard "The Chimes"

I'm off to re-kindle a "Holiday Romance"

But suspect in reality there will be "No Thoroughfare"

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Keith, I think that you missed the 'import' of the Sketches reference. If you had read MQ instead of MEW you would have got it. Last month- indeed.

Ravensworth No.2674.That better?

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Norm

You lead a "A Curious Dance Round a Curious Tree"

and even with "The Seven Poor Travellers" on the road to Marrakech

and the history of the Tontine "To Be Read At Dusk"

it may as well be "A Message From the Sea"

the fishing is poor and in this "The Battle of Life"

I'll crash and burn as the "Wreck of the Golden Mary"

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

While the scans were interesting, although not what I was looking for, I can't say I was too thrilled to find 21 MEG's of scans dumped into my mailbox ..

Paul

Reply to
oldlock

Thanks Dragon & Adrian for the details. Making a rack drive seems a bit over the top right now. Thanks Norm for the group names, there's a rich vein of stuff there.

I'm subscribed to a load of these yahoo groups: yahoo doesn't seem to bother indexing them properly - finding a group without knowing the exact name is next to impossible. Yahoo? Boohoo, more like.

Here are a few relevant ones; any more?

gingery_machines hobbymachine holbrooklathes mlathemods mlathemods1 mlathemods2 mlathemods3 mlathemods4 mlathemods5 mlprojects MyMyford plansandblueprints Prints_and_Plans quorn_owners ToolGrinding ukmodeleng

Reply to
Guy Griffin

I feel better for welcome appreciation, folks! So my homework is to go through my other 'favorites' and post them for Guy and Co. No doubt that there will be more for me as well. Thanks to Guy for starting this!

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

My list includes Home Shop MachinistBBS Manufacturing Forum Char;es Lamonts Model Engineering Pages Chris Heapy( a bit obsolete- a pity) Yahoo- Beginners Workshop 1 and 2 CAD Cam etc E-Leadscrew Geometer= Old farts united hintstips mini lathe Graham Howes- Workshop Projects 1 The Workshop(?) Swarfshop index RonChernich- Accessories for the Quorn Mark Klotz

You may find some repetition- and you may find some difficult to find but these are as shown in my Favorites.

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674