Death of a group?

Sorry in advance for this rant, but I feel I need to.

I really liked this group. Since I switched to SolidWorks, I found in this group a constant source of help. Had my training on SW2000, and after some years with Pro-E moved to SW2007, changing from plastic modeling to sheet and milling techniques. So I almost had to learn everything again. In the google archives of this group I fond solutions on almost all my doubts about weldments, sheet folding, drawing etc. When I didn't found, I asked and got answer.

Came back after a few weeks, and found the group polluted with spam, flooding and trolling by a "clueless" user and his useless blog, followed by flames by most of the once-good users.

It is impossible to find interesting topics in the bulk. The number of good threads is fallen to its minimum. I guess lots of good users left, as I am doing.

Thanks to everyone who, consciously or not, provided me and other lurkers help or answered our distress calls.

Last one: can anyone suggest a good *moderated* forum about SW and cad in general?

Reply to
jollyroger

JB has been banned from Eng-tips.com. In his words, it's "overmoderated".

Eng-tips has an excellent SW forum. I also recommend the SolidWorks.com community.

That70sTick

You could learn to use a killfile. Once done, a lot of noise will disappear if you add the noisemaker into the killfile. Cheers

jollyroger wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

I have been using the Solidworks run forum...

have found it to be useful. At least the posts are directly related to Solidworks issues and there are lots of knowledgable people to answer any question you may have.

Reply to
Pats Fan

FrankW wrote in news:54e9e$4835a065$401a8812$11012 @PRIMUS.CA:

I've been using the killfile, and I'm still about ready to give up on this group. Too many people are getting sucked into the stupid-fest every day. I have to plonk people on a very regular basis. What's left is a handful of useful threads among SW sucks rants.

The signal to noise ratio has fallen because most of the signal has already moved to other forums. The SW hosted forum pulled most, I think, even though the thread handling mechanics of that forum are horrible. Before that, I was avoiding Eng-Tips because it also was difficult to use to keep track of threads and what's been read. So far, none of the web-based forums has even approached the useability of something that can be read with a nntp news reader. Good grief, I'd rather read from Outlook Express than a web-based forum.

Even with those difficulties, I'm about ready to give up on this forum. Only habit and sentimentality are keeping me here, and that's not very rational. It's too bad c.c.sw never had a moderator.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Now that I give it some thought you are right. Even with "you know who" and his brother on 'kill", useful info is drying up fast. I guess it is time to checkout the SWX forum on their web site.

Good Bye & Good Luck

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

It takes two hands to clap.

Deelip Menezes

Deelip Menezes

Even the appropriate topics which begin as serious questions, requests for advice or as information provided to share experiences, techniques or technical information are all too often polluted by noisemakers' comments and quickly degraded or, at least, needlessly diverted.

It has gotten to the point where it is simply not worth the time to pull the hip boots on and wade through all the nonsense in hopes of finding the good stuff which once was the norm here at Comp.Cad.SolidWorks.

Sorry - I have to leave now...

Per O. Hoel _______________________________________________________

Reply to
POH

....but only one asshole to fart...

** Posted from
**
Reply to
ChamberPot

I had an opportunity to talk to another forum user just the other week having not seen or spoken to him in over a year. His first comment after "Hi how are you?" was "I've lost track of you since I haven't been checking the forum". When pressed as to why he made commented on similiar items you just brought up.

I hate to say "I told you" but you might want to check out the link.

Note the date and contents and then compare to your observations.

I also had a gander through the archive files around the same time. I found it interesting to note all the names of some pretty good contributors (technical and otherwise) who no longer post to this forum.

I've been visiting the SW user group for more of my technical answers but haven't found a group that challanges my "CAD Philosophy' and the way I do things. It was nice to see other peoples perspective on the same problem.

Take care.

Len

On May 22, 8:52=A0am, jollyroger wrote:> Sorry in advance for this rant, but I feel I need to.> > I really liked this group.> Since I switched to SolidWorks, I found in this group a constant> source of help.> Had my training on SW2000, and after some years with Pro-E moved to> SW2007, changing from plastic modeling to sheet and milling> techniques. So I almost had to learn everything again.> In the google archives of this group I fond solutions on almost all my> doubts about weldments, sheet folding, drawing etc. When I didn't> found, I asked and got answer.> > Came back after a few weeks, and found the group polluted with spam,> flooding and trolling by a "clueless" user and his useless blog,> followed by flames by most of the once-good users.> > It is impossible to find interesting topics in the bulk. The number of> good threads is fallen to its minimum. I guess lots of good users> left, as I am doing.> > Thanks to everyone who, consciously or not, provided me and other> lurkers help or answered our distress calls.> > Last one: can anyone suggest a good

*moderated* forum about SW and cad> in general?
Reply to
lmar

I would use the solidworks forum but I can't stand the interface, why can't they make it so we can connect to it with news reader like Outlook?

Reply to
mr.T

I'm evaluating an 11th that I may add to the list soon. If you want to talk philosophy, I recommend the eng-tips.com, SolidWorks Yahoo group and the SWCAD groups.

List of 10 forums (including this one).

Reply to
fcsuper

I read the groups with Google, so no killfile allowed.

no, I can't use a newsreader since I usually read this group from lot of different places and I don't have admin rights on all the PCs.

Reply to
jollyroger

"FrankW" a écrit dans le message de news:

54e9e$4835a065$401a8812$ snipped-for-privacy@PRIMUS.CA...

Kill file works fine for me, even if I may have added some that usefuly contribute. The level of noise is really low, and I can see the filtering as OE loads only half of the new messages.

Reply to
Jean Marc

I agree with ya...I use OE as well (but there is a reason on my corporate owned PC)...

I saw it download 55 messages this morning, and then you can watch it start counting down, leaving me with 22....Filters are a great thing and if everyone ignores the obvious "known" people, and just kills them this would be a better place. I personally like the newsgroups better than the web based sites..

A) not graphic intensive, loads are faster and I can quickly see any posts I want to read and most times am done viewing before most people can get their browser and login going....

B) (most important to me) Low profile - My company tracks internet usage and newsgroup accounts are not tracked. Even if they were, they simply connect, download messages and disconnect. This means in than 10 seconds I get all my info from all my various newsgroups right into my reader. With a web based group everytime you change a subject, reply, read, refresh, etc.... it's address and page gets logged on the server. Now, most companies have better things to do than monitor, but I just don't like big brother watching in the event I take 5 minutes to write something.....oh...like this.

C) I like having my SWx Topic folder quickly accessible on the left folder group. Any message or tips I like and find interesting, in half a second I drag and drop into my collection. I have messages and tips going back years from the likes of:

(looking)

Rob Rodriguez Gunrunnerjohn Wayne Tiffany Matt Lombard Sporkman Anna Wood Bob Z Devon Sowell

and a multitude of others that I've gotten stuff out of over the years whether their help was directed to me or not....Which is what this group is (or was) about...

I hope people stick it out...

If they don't - I for one thank all of the relevant posters over the years that have made my job easier...Thank you.

I'll be here even if my reader downloads 100 messages and screens it out to

1....There is that one person I might learn something from (or be able to help them in turn)

Again, my thanks,

Scott Precipart Corp.

(usually sign simply as IYM)

Reply to
<IYM>

Ok, I finally have to chime in here.

I refuse to be pushed out. I use plain and simple OE, I filter the garbage, I wish people would stop replying to those that I have filtered out, I want the world to sing...

I think there are still valuable nuggets here and I am willing to wade through the muck to discover them, and am willing to spread a few myself. I have always liked this newsgroup better than the forums because it's the wild wild west - guns are a blazing at times. But the benefits still outweigh the bad. Besides, I don't like being pushed around by those that speak of that which they know not.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Maybe someone with a site, where KinderCAD Banquer can't screw it up, could host and maintain a plonk list. Post the link once a month and beanie boy will keep it visible talking to himself. Make it easier for newcomers. They aren't going to take a second look otherwise.

Reply to
williwinki

I'm with you Wayne! As long as there are at least a few of us that don't give up, we should be able to keep the group alive.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

I've been here 9 years and not about to leave. My newsreader (Gravity) has its filters highly tuned, so the noisemakers simply don't exist on my machine. If more members would do some filtering and avoid feeding the trolls, the SNR would be much higher. There are still some SW heavy hitters around, and I'm not going miss what they have to say.

AW

Reply to
Art Woodbury

I couldn't agree with you more. I too come from a Pro/E background and have often looked here for answers.

Ah, but then there's the clueless one and those who feel it is their duty to engage him. Do they actually believe that if they put him down well enough he will go away and they will be hailed as heros or something? C'mon guys. It all comes down to somebody's tag line I once read:

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. IT ONLY MAKES THEM GROW.

Reply to
CADaholic