Help need! ProE sheetmetal

Hi there,

I am new to ProE and am still learning it. I have a problem with creating a sheetmetal part in ProE 2001. Here are the details:

I created a flat wall with two of the edges joint at 135 degree (or somewhere around that value). Now I want to created two bend flanges (90 degree bend, in the same direction) attached to these two edges.

I created the first bend with either inside or outside radius, and rectangular relief (one panel thickness wide). Now when I tried to creat the second bend ProE doesn't allow me to do it, giving me an error message saying that corning relief cannot be created.

It seems that unlike some other 3D solid modelling program such as SolidEdge, ProE doesn't allow selection of multiple edges and create attached bends in one go (I might be wrong since I don't know much about sheetmetal functions in ProE), therefore one has to creat bends one by one. Is there any way to do it?

May be someone can post in the group or email me a simple example.

Thanks in advance.

Geoffrey

Reply to
Geoffrey

Geffory, When u try to create the second bend, the second wall touches the first bend at the at the fillet radius (near the common corner). That might be the reason why the model fails. I Hope that helps you. Cheers Shankar

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

Cannot belief nobody has responded to my original post. Still waiting for help. Would really appreciate it if someone can give me some advice. I am stuch and couldn't finish the model.

Reply to
Geoffrey

"Geoffrey" wrote in message news:3f9f100a$ snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au... : Cannot belief nobody has responded to my original post. Still waiting for : help. Would really appreciate it if someone can give me some advice. I am : stuch and couldn't finish the model. : Geoffrey, there's a file that I uploaded to comp.binaries as an attachment. It will be the only message there as this is a totally unused NG. The file is called FLANGES.WRL. It is a VRML file exported from a part made to your specifications ~ two walls attached to sheetmetal sides at 135 degrees. It is in VRML format as this is a common standard, it's in 3D so it beats looking at jpegs, the viewers are readily available as browser plugins and using this format avoids all kinds of compatibility problems, e.g., you're on 2001 and I'm on Wildfire.

While there are several ways that might work to make the walls, I didn't try to make them attached to the first wall on a plane with it then bend the tabs to make the flanges. I created flat walls, one on each of the two sides that meet at 135 degrees. You can do this with 'Feature>Create>Sheetmetal>Wall>Flat' Pick Part bnd tbl and Inside rad, then pick one of the edges you want to attach the wall to. It will show you an indicator for a 90 degree bend which is what you want to accept it. Then, it will set up the adjacent surface to the first wall as a sketching plane and also give you two vertices at the ends of this edge as refernces. Now, just sketch three sides of the new wall, snapping the side edges to the two vertex references. (Do not make the sketch cross the sheetmetal face, but sketch away from the edge.) Select done and ok. Set the radius to 0 and this will give you a sharp inside corner on the wall. Using inside rad and sketching away from the attachment edge adds the wall to the outside of the box. If you use outside rad, it builds the walls within the perimeter of the first wall and subtracts from the space inside the box.

Do the same on the second wall and you're done. You don't even have to use corner relief because there remains a small gap between the edges. When you create an unbend feature and pick 'Unbend all', you will see that the walls and radiuses are to the outside of the sharp vertex at the 135 angle. On the other hand, if you had made this as one wall in a single feature, you wouldn't have been able to unbend it, except to 'flatten form' which would treat it as a formed feature. In other words, there are ways to produce this as a single feature, continuous wall. But, if you don't expect to make it that way in production, what would be the advantage of designing it that way?

BTW, the sheetmetal module is difficult and complicated enough to warrant getting some training. Even if you can't get to somewhere that offers the PTC course, at least try to get something from CADtrain or FroTime. Anything would be a help, seeing as how you didn't get very far before you got stuck.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Dear Geoffrey..... When u have a created a flat sheet with one of the angle being 135° between its two edges. After this u can proceed with one of the walls at 90° using feature>create>flat,use radius>partbendTbl>inside radius & then select the top edge & complete the section. AT this stage say no relief at both ends. In creating the second wall at 90° use same method but at this time say no relief at free end and rip relief at the corner vertex.. U will find no problem... bye kjain

Reply to
Kuntal Jain

My news server, Earthlink, doesn't list this group. A search turned up references to the group, but I can't find a way to access it. I'm pretty dull about such things and was hoping someone might be able to suggest a way.

====================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

"Jeff Howard" wrote in message news:37Rnb.6588$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net... : : My news server, Earthlink, doesn't list this group. A search turned up : references to the group, but I can't find a way to access it. I'm pretty dull : about such things and was hoping someone might be able to suggest a way. : : Maybe we should just find common ground. I've checked news.newusers.questions and news.answers for help with your question of what to do when your news service doesn't list a particular group, but found only hints that it might be possible to get news delivered by email. However the links that were supposed to do that were broken. If you're really interested, you could try posting the question to one of those two groups. Also, I thought Google groups might archive this but it is so inactive, they didn't bother. So, why don't you suggest one that your news service does carry.

I only posted to a group marked binary because the last time I attached something in this group, there was a howl of protest from those who got their fur rubbed the wrong way. So, an alternative would be to repost with the file attached. I'd prefer not to start posting privately. The community benefit is lost. I do, however, strongly feel that verbal, written explanations of graphical problems, even by those who have mastered and don't mind using the language, are still sorely lacking and that the process of helping/teaching/tutoring/presenting tips and tricks is greatly benefitted by the inclusion of graphical material. This is proved by a wealth of teaching material, tutorials, books which universally include screen shots of parts with nice little arrows drawn, screen shots of menus with selections highlighted, etc. However we're going to do it, we need more graphics in newsgroup about helping people with graphics. And most especially because half the requests for help remind me of the old Groucho Marx gag where Chico goes up to him and says, 'Hey, Doc, it hurts when I do this.' And I want to join Groucho in saying 'Well, quit doing that.' Or, explain what your problem is a whole lot better. So, especially for those who are like me and have a hard time explaining visual things (or visualising verbal descriptions), we really need the pitchers.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Sorry, David. Didn't mean to put anyone out.

I can request that Earthlink add the group to their list, but ..... I'll go ahead and give it a shot, anyway. Perhaps they may have some other suggestion for a more widely accessible, usable binary group that isn't cluttered with ....., too (course, it may be that that one isn't because it's little known or hard to get to ).

I don't think Google archives attachments (binaries) and most text groups do mind very much the intrusion of binary (and sometimes large) attachments.

I agree very much that having a common, publicly accessible forum with the ability to attach is very valuable. A model is worth a thousand words.

One of the few things that Autodesk has done right in the last decade is set up their user groups and, likewise, it's one of the many things Rhino has done right. They are a very valuable asset to the new user (as I am to Pro) and experienced alike. It would be great if PTC would follow one of their models, though I guess Collaborate is as close as it gets. Been meaning to check that out. Thing is, I learn a lot looking at other peoples' problems and Collaborate won't help there.

Thanks a lot, Jeff

news.newusers.questions and

were ............................................................

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Hello there,

Thanks for everyone who responded to my original post. Really appreciate it.

I also have trouble to access the news group mentioned by David. I will see if there is anything more I could do, anyway.

The methods suggested by both David and Kuntal would work as long as one specifies that the inside bending radius is zero, which is not exactly what I wanted. As soon as I tell ProE to use a non-zero inside bending radius then it would refuse to accept the result because whatever bending relief I specify (or no bending relief at all) would not be allowed. Zero bending radius is not alway practical in manufacture.

Surely there would be a way of creating such part in ProE, or does ProE really have this kind of limit?

More suggestion/help needed.

Best regards,

Geoffrey

Reply to
Geoffrey

David, I was able to access your file on comp.binaries. This brings up another point. I have been trying to find a good VRML viewer for IE6. While there are many offered, I am not sure I am getting the best. Do you have any suggestions for a good viewer and where it is available? Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

"David Janes" wrote

Here's the one I use

Paul

Reply to
Paul Rudolph

Thanks for the help. I think Cosmo will give me all I need. Doug

Reply to
Doug