What magazine/periodical do you like?

I have recently "re-enterd" th hobby and since I'm retired, I read as much as I cam get my hands on. I read Model Railroader (MR), Model Railroad Craftsman (MRC) (as I recall the name), lots of newsletters via email, and so on. I appears that most in theis newsgroup don't feel MR brings that much to the party. What about MRC or others?

I know when I begin construction, I won't have the time I do now, so I will want to subscribe to a couple good ones, and I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

Reply to
Jungle Jim

curtmchere

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Start doing a lot of searching on the 'Net for subjects of interest. I have been doing that for a few years and I have quite an extensive bookmark list. I also save the pages to my hard drive so I have the original article. The 'Net is loaded with model railroad information and many model railroad forums. I stopped MR back in 2001 as I had too much information to keep track of and the information was not as easy to find as the information in my computer. I have started scanning my old issues and storing the info in my computer. I keep a backup hard drive also. I have found quite a few books concerning prototype railroading on the 'Net, most via amazon.com, used and new books. Go to Yahoo Groups and you will find quite a few model railroad groups that are moderated. They are free and the trolls hate them because they are moderated. Some times you have to wander through a lot of garbage in this group. This one is by the company that issues MR.

to retirement. I retired last September.

gagnonrchrd

Folks:

I think MR hit a low point a few years back but has been improving in the last year. However, I like Railroad Model Craftsman (RMC) better. I have also looked at Model Railroading (MRG), Rail Model Journal, and Mainline Modeler on occasion. I don't remember much about MM or RMJ. MRG is all right, but I like RMC better.

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

MRG, RMJ, and MM are out of business now.

Reply to
markmathus

snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu spake thus:

/Mainline Modeler/ was the best. Unfortunately, it's no longer. Pity. (Back issues available, though, chock-full of construction articles, plans, gorgeous photos.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

What site are you using to dig these bot generated postings?

Reply to
markmathus

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake thus:

It's a Sekrit. They're a hoot, ain't they?

Provide me a valid email address and I'll send you a link.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

JJ:

Looks like MRG and RMJ have indeed ceased publication, as well as MM.

That's quite a shame, really. I suspect burnout had something to do with it..that's always a hazard when you run your own business.

There are still quite a few other publications that haven't been mentioned yet, so I should bring up:

The NG&SL Gazette (I seriously need to subscribe some day)

O Gauge Railroading
Trolley Talk (Browse this site, find the old Suydam kits being sold!)
S Gaugian
and probably a pile more that I don't know about...note that even if you don't use a given scale the scale-specific publications may still be of use.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans

Reply to
pawlowsk002

RMJ is not out of business. It's just a little slow each month.

Reply to
Jon Miller

`RMJ has _not_ ceased publication. MM has and the subscriptions to MRG have been picked up by RMC (or so I heard).

Reply to
Jon Miller

Send them to me I need a new source.

Reply to
SteveCaple

JM:

Well, I'm glad to hear that. I admit I made an ass-umption based on their site only having 2006 stuff on it when I took a quick look, and it's always nice to be proved wrong when you bring bad news.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Yeah, right, sockpuppet-boy. And like your email address wouldn't bounce like a bad check.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

DN:

Whoa. That's, like, a simile that references a metaphor. Nice! :D

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

My LHS says RMJ is about a month behind - I just picked up my January 2007 copy when I went in today. Don't know what's up with the web site, since I have copies for every month of 2006.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Furze

Have you tried it? It worked for me.

-- I can't remember where I read it, but in one of the non-official histories of WP it was revealed that in some proto-version, straight from the primordial soup, the encyclopedia was in fact to be written by anyone, but with editorial oversight by People With A Clue. In this story, it was written that none other than Jimbo Wales sat down and got to work on some economic theory article or something ... and then, if I remember this right, he started to get that unusual sensation one gets while writing a test or doing homework or, in general, just plain educating oneself. He though "Damn, someone is going to mark this!", and Jimmy didn't like that. So instead he invented a system where the TA's are less educated than he is. Bullshit baffles brains, and intuitively he realized that the more BS, or the less brains, the easier the job is. Thus Wikipedia, where as soon as you demonstrate you are transcending the system, you are kicked out...

- An illuminating insight into the mess that is Wikipedia, from Wikipedia Review

DavidNebenzahl

The are out of business since 10/06.

[...]

MF:

Probably a case of "hyperferroignism" on the staff's part. :D

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans

Reply to
pawlowsk002

There is not one person in the world who tries harder than you to look illegitimate.

Reply to
SameAsB4