I'm new and I'm not a troller!

Just dropped by to say hi. I model HO, N and O27, I'm also an organist (The name should tell you that). O27 engines are Lionel:
Wabash Atlantic Great northern RS3 Alask Railroad GP9 (or a GP7, I don't remember which) K-Line: Illinois Central S2 New York Central Pacific MTH: Centerville Trolley
Hopefully this should be ebough proof that I'm not a spammer, I've been watching this group for a little while.

Welcome to the group, Hammondlover.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire http://www.billsrailroad.net
I play piano, but i suck at the organ... I mean nothing.!!!!!!!

LOL. I su - erm - am not very good at piano!
<snip>

FYI, if you want to be seen as a non-troll, here's some advice:
1). Sign each message with your real name. This indicates that you stand behind what you say. Trolls usually use blatantly false names or no name at all because if it ever got out that they behave like lunatics, they'd suffer a little at either work or at home.
2). Use a real NNTP connection to post to the group. Web-based postings from Google are generally used by trolls due to the fact that they are free and to the common user, untraceable. This means that a troll cannot be tracked down and get his ISP account terminated for violating his TOS/AUP for being a troll.
3). Use a "real" e-mail account in your return field. Yahoo, Hotmail and other free web-based e-mail accounts are notorious for Trolls. Sure, you can "munge" your return addy (as in "j (underscore) smith (at) earthlink (dot) com") so you don't get as much spam, but using the freebie accounts is not the way to encourage folks that you aren't a troll.
4). Post to more than one thread, on more than one subject, and actively try to either help people by answering their questions, or ask questions to try and get a good discussion going. Most trolls only want to cause pain, and would sooner bite off their own arm than help people.
5). Never bring up politics or religion in a non-political or non-religous newsgroup. And if someone does bring it up, never respond to it. Nothing good will come of it. You won't change their mind, and they won't change yours, so what's the point? It'll just be a blood bath and will kill the group, eventually.
6). Never respond to an obvious troll. For example, I had some loser actually title a thread here with my name in it. I didn't reply at all, and it quickly faded away (if only everyone else would do that).
7). Don't use ALL CAPS, don't overuse exclamation points (!), don't post binaries (pictures), don't launch personal attacks...IOW, be a good netizen, and you'll be welcome on any newsgroup. Just like in real life, if you go into a group or gathering and come off as a big jerk, people will think the worst of you. If you come in like a real nice guy, you'll be greeted with open arms.

I'll always use the same name, and you can have me email if you want, but I have no intention of discussing politics here. I already know of groups that have deteriorated into anarchy due to this.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:21:10 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Anarchy? Here on USENET? Surely you're joking!
By the way, welcome aboard. -- Ray

It's not the "handle" that should be your real name (for example, mine is "Pac Man"), but that you should sign your real name in each post (see below). For example, do I call you "Hammond" or "Lord Vader"? Neither one sounds like a first name to me (hint, hint). BTW, directly e-mailing folks is usually considered bad manners when discussing a group topic. If you have something to say about this group, say it to everyone so all can see.
Paul A. Cutler III ************* What have you done to save r.m.r today? *************
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:16:37 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Paul, that depends on why. If I offer to send you an old boxcar that I no longer want, would you like me to ask for your address right here? Would you post it here so I can fill out an address label? Would you prefer to post your phone number here?
While I agree that it can sometimes be unwelcome, e-mail to a person can have many reasons for occurring where none of them are bad.
Believe it or not, USENET is a text only message system that is based on many of the same protocols as e-mail. Thus, many people still use their real e-mail address here and suffer the abuse of those who really do abuse it - the dreaded SPAMMERS! -- Ray

Well, that's why I said "usually", as in "usually considered bad manners". I didn't say it was an absolute. Obviously, if I ask for a personal contact off the group, then it's okay. It's the unsolicted comments via e-mail about a topic at hand that I find in bad taste. It's usually done so one can chew out another poster (making rude comments, swearing, threatening, etc.), or so one can agree with someone else while not publically appearing to take sides in a discussion.

More the exception than the rule. The only other one is when a discussion goes way, way off topic (going into politics or religion, for example). That stuff is best taken off the group into e-mail. But that must be agreed to by both participants.

Oh, I know. I've been here a long time. NNTP & SMTP are very simular.
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:44:23 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I grew up with a New Haven trunk in Willimantic, CT almost in my back yard. I love the steam and burning coal smell mixed with heavy oil even today. NYNH&H is my absolute favorite. Their herald crest makes me all warm and fuzzy. -- Ray
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 04:11:13 +0800, Ray Haddad wrote:

Amen to that - although as a child of mixed parentage (Wabash and Nickel Plate) I'd have to insist on the Bluebird and Banner Blue drumheads, as well as "Follow the flag" and those lovely blue semi-streamlined Wabash Hudsons, with a soundtrack of NKP S3 Berkshires doubleheading up around the Maumee curve onto the high tracks through Fort Wayne.
--
Steve

Have you been back to Willimantic to see the RR museum there?
http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org /
They've got a pretty good set-up. They rebuilt the old roundhouse, excavated the turntable pit, and found a turntable to drop into it. They've also collected several buildings like the old Groton freight house, and a station or two. Plus, of course, the 1:1 equipment like their FL9, a couple 8600 coaches, the Pfizer switcher, etc. My favorite one is the handcar: http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org/PumpCar.htm According to the museum guy who was showing us around, this handcar was built using plans found in Model Railroader. How's that for a scratch building project? LOL
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:25:22 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Oh, yes. I get their calendar every year. Still have family there including a cousin who volunteers time at the museum.

Parts hard to find?
Actually, I found an old handcar in the backwoods of North Stonington (or it may have been Groton) many years ago. I never could accurately place it on a map so the actual township is just a guess. It's probably still there. I was working for a guy back in the '60s who hired me to paint old but serviceable lathes that were originally used in WWII to make battleship gun barrels. The rail line had to pass close by in order to drop them off. It was a never ending job, chipping, scraping, painting and putting cosmoline(sp?) on the bare metal runners.
I fell in love with the guy's daughter. She'd bring lemonade to the fields where the equipment rested. Sadly, she didn't feel the same way about me. I can still see her in shorts with her blouse tied in a knot just under her . . .
Sigh . . .
Go away now. I'm going to have a nap. -- Ray
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:06:17 +0800, Ray Haddad wrote:

Don't getcher knickers in a knot!
--
Steve

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:22:30 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Even you couldn't spoil that particular nap. She hadn't aged a day. -- Ray

I have even better idea. When someone discovers this forum why not just post a normal on-topic message not even mentioning trolling. That would have worked perfectly and would have prevent any long lectures from current members. :-)
I've been posting using Google Groups for several years now and except for occasional Mark Newton head-butting, I post on-topic.
Peteski

Hm... my handle isn't a real name, but most people don't regard me as a troll.

I don't mind Google Groupers, but honestly for reading r.m.r, a NNTP connection is best. You can use a real news reader with kill files and filtering. I haven't seen anywhere near the volume of trash messages here that people have complained about.

Many people use a fake or invalid email address in the from field so the bots don't pick it up. If you "munge" your email address like Pac Man suggests, it would only take a few seconds to write a program to "demunge" it and spam it.
Those who do use a fake or invalid address usually provide a real one in some form in their signature.

I agree.

You might also want to look up Godwin's law.

Agreed.
It's usually a good idea to do a search for "Usenet Etiquitte" and read a couple of the resulting sites. There are things you'll never think of that just tick people off. (Biggest one that gets me is not using blank lines to seperate your reply from the previous reply.)

Puckdropper

People throw Godwins law all over the place. It's more like an internet murphy law.
Hammondlover wrote:

Okay ... let us review some things here. You have stated that you aren't a troll and sounded eager to be a good netizen and contribute. Someone provided a well though out list of suggestions on exactly how to do that.
1) You completely ignored the most excellent suggestion of actually signing a name. Something besides a stupid handle so that when someone chooses to respond they don't start off with "Hey Dork".
2) You responded to a rather lengthy message of maybe 80 lines with a two sentence reply and couldn't be bothered with trimming out the superfluous text.
So far you are zero for two. You might revisit Pauls response and reread it. There is much valuable information there that would benefit everyone.
Bill
[Usenet, DARPA and ARPA net since 1980] Argh it aint pretty what this has turned into.