I'm new and I'm not a troller!

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:467451f6$0$17990$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

*snip*

So, Mr. Nebenzahl, how do we know that's YOUR real name? ;-)

One thing I'd like to point out is that it's often NOT a good idea to use your real whole name. Usenet servers can keep a permanent record of what you've said in the past, so what you said 10 years ago might come back to haunt you.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:16:37 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Pac Man" instead replied:

Paul, that depends on why. If I offer to send you an old boxcar that I no longer want, would you like me to ask for your address right here? Would you post it here so I can fill out an address label? Would you prefer to post your phone number here?

While I agree that it can sometimes be unwelcome, e-mail to a person can have many reasons for occurring where none of them are bad.

Believe it or not, USENET is a text only message system that is based on many of the same protocols as e-mail. Thus, many people still use their real e-mail address here and suffer the abuse of those who really do abuse it - the dreaded SPAMMERS!

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

innews:467451f6$0$17990$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

I just won't say anything stupid.

Reply to
Hammondlover

"Just dropped by to say hi. I model HO, N and O27, I'm also an organist (The name should tell you that)."

Gee, I thought you were into hole in the wall podunk towns in Illinois, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Oregon and Wisconsin. ;-)

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

My mother grew up along the NYC route between Rochester and Niagara Falls. We'll leave it at that.

Reply to
Hammondlover

A nice Troller:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Well then, I guess it would be a good idea not to say anything that may come back and haunt you in the first place. ;-) I've been signing with my real name since my first post here, and have done the same with the Atlas Forum, Model Railroader & Trains Forums, Railroad.net (before they went to pot), the NHRHTA's (New Haven) Forum, the old Railroad-Line Forums, plus the groups ne.transportation, and misc.transport.rail.americas. And that's got to be going back 10 years or so. Signing with your real name is, IMHO, a brake on the ridiculousness that crops up from time to time on the 'net. It won't stop it, and I don't pretend that it would. But I think it helps.

So folks should show some intestinal fortitude and post under their own real name. And unless one doesn't care that everything one says will be recorded for all of history, don't be a flaming jerk on the internet. And to be clear, I don' t think that those who don't are cowards (some folks can't go public because of their jobs as they are goofing off at work by posting here, for example). But real names = more respect.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Well, that's why I said "usually", as in "usually considered bad manners". I didn't say it was an absolute. Obviously, if I ask for a personal contact off the group, then it's okay. It's the unsolicted comments via e-mail about a topic at hand that I find in bad taste. It's usually done so one can chew out another poster (making rude comments, swearing, threatening, etc.), or so one can agree with someone else while not publically appearing to take sides in a discussion.

More the exception than the rule. The only other one is when a discussion goes way, way off topic (going into politics or religion, for example). That stuff is best taken off the group into e-mail. But that must be agreed to by both participants.

Oh, I know. I've been here a long time. NNTP & SMTP are very simular.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

David, It would be nice if you could stop responding to the real trolls. You and those like you here tend to treat this group as your own personal litterbox. We get flooded with trolls because folks like yourself just can't seem to resist replying and egging the trolls onward. Stop it already. You are killing this group.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Speaking of which... does anyone know what ever happened to the Troller Corporation? Their products seemed superior to the MRC offerings at the time and they had made some inroads in the market. But then, all of a sudden, POOF, they were gone!

I still have one of their power packs running trains on my layout.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:44:23 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Pac Man" instead replied:

I grew up with a New Haven trunk in Willimantic, CT almost in my back yard. I love the steam and burning coal smell mixed with heavy oil even today. NYNH&H is my absolute favorite. Their herald crest makes me all warm and fuzzy.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I would like to know too. I have 3 of their AC throttles for Lionel/Flyer.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Amen to that - although as a child of mixed parentage (Wabash and Nickel Plate) I'd have to insist on the Bluebird and Banner Blue drumheads, as well as "Follow the flag" and those lovely blue semi-streamlined Wabash Hudsons, with a soundtrack of NKP S3 Berkshires doubleheading up around the Maumee curve onto the high tracks through Fort Wayne.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Have you been back to Willimantic to see the RR museum there?

They've got a pretty good set-up. They rebuilt the old roundhouse, excavated the turntable pit, and found a turntable to drop into it. They've also collected several buildings like the old Groton freight house, and a station or two. Plus, of course, the 1:1 equipment like their FL9, a couple

8600 coaches, the Pfizer switcher, etc. My favorite one is the handcar:
According to the museum guy who was showing us around, this handcar was built using plans found in Model Railroader. How's that for a scratch building project? LOL

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:25:22 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Pac Man" instead replied:

Oh, yes. I get their calendar every year. Still have family there including a cousin who volunteers time at the museum.

Parts hard to find?

Actually, I found an old handcar in the backwoods of North Stonington (or it may have been Groton) many years ago. I never could accurately place it on a map so the actual township is just a guess. It's probably still there. I was working for a guy back in the '60s who hired me to paint old but serviceable lathes that were originally used in WWII to make battleship gun barrels. The rail line had to pass close by in order to drop them off. It was a never ending job, chipping, scraping, painting and putting cosmoline(sp?) on the bare metal runners.

I fell in love with the guy's daughter. She'd bring lemonade to the fields where the equipment rested. Sadly, she didn't feel the same way about me. I can still see her in shorts with her blouse tied in a knot just under her . . .

Sigh . . .

Go away now. I'm going to have a nap.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Don't getcher knickers in a knot!

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:22:30 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

Even you couldn't spoil that particular nap. She hadn't aged a day.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Reply to
davidnebenzahl

I don't get it.

Reply to
Hammondlover

Sigh. He's a real Troll, ok? And you responded to him. Please don't. Every time you respond to a Troll, you might as well write "sucker" across your forehead. Trolls live for pain, for confusion, for destruction, etc.

Remember what we talked about earlier?

1). Note that said Troll did not sign the above post with his name. 2). Note that said Troll is using Google Groups to post to r.m.r. 3). Note that said Troll is using a Yahoo! account. 4). Note that said Troll is not being helpful, is not asking on topic questions, and is calling people a slur. and, 5). Note the cross posting: "alt.usenet.kooks", "alt.troll" (please snip off-topic headers before posting!)

These are primary indicators of a Troll. Please, let it go. You may not be a Troll, but this luzer above certainly is.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man