Use for Used Sandpaper

Before I chuck them in the trash, I'm wondering if anyone can think of a model railroading use for used sheets of 20 grit sandpaper. They are
about 12x18 inches. I have them from a floor sanding job I did a few weeks ago.
Thanks, Dave
--
Pardonu, cxu iu cxi tie parolas la anglan?

If you paint the right lines on them, could they be a model dirt/clay tennis court? (If you want to model that scene?)
Or I suppose they'd have a bit of a rocky texture - maybe for some sort of paper-mache rocks?
== Quote from Dave Rutan ( snipped-for-privacy@nac.net)'s article

If you paint the right lines on them, could they be a model dirt/clay tennis courts? (If you want to model that scene?)
Or I suppose they'd have a bit of a rocky texture - maybe for some sort of paper-mache rocks?
== Quote from Dave Rutan ( snipped-for-privacy@nac.net)'s article

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:36:30 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Soak them in water and apply them to molded mountains as a base for adding vegetation and such. If your layout is too complete for that (heh-right) give them to someone who is just beginning the scenics on their layout. -- Ray

Depends a bit on the scale.
Fine grit paper that is worn out makes OK concrete if glued to a surface and painted right. But, 20 is a bit coarse for that I would think, depending on how big the scale you're working in and how worn out it is.
It might make a nice sub-surface for a gravel road or gravel parking lot or some such, with lots of pot holes.
A very worn tar roof maybe?
A rocky bottom for a stream or pond, before you pour in your transparent plastic layer?
--
-Glennl
The despammed service works OK, but unfortunately

As some others have mentioned, it depends on the scale, but how about O scale roofing materila? I've seen plenty of roofs with tar & stone on them. A coat of grimy black paint might make it look pretty convincing. I'd guess that 20 grit would look way too big in HO scale though.
dlm
Dave Rutan wrote:

Of the suggestions thus far, I best like the idea of using it for a pond bottom. The grit is definitely to coarse for any normal kind of HO texture.
--
Pardonu, cxu iu cxi tie parolas la anglan?

Paint them the appropriate color and use them for ballast under turnouts. Eliminates gluing the points when applying ballast.
Tom

Brilliant idea. I just have to make sure that the sandpaper is really *used* under the tie bar mechanism.

--
Mike Hughes

I used to make asphalt pavement with new and slightly used fine grit aluminum oxide paper. It looked great. A little masking and some thickened yellow paint and you could make a nice parking lot.
Roadways were easy too.
I don't know what you could make from the rough stuff.
BDK

I used 50 grit to do the sytrofoam shaping for my layout. 20 would probably be even better.

Never thought of that... that should work pretty well and I doubt if the sandpaper would get clogged up.
dlm
Wayne L wrote:

This 20 grit would probably leave lines in Styrofoam. The texture reminds me of an O scale pebble strewn parking lot.
Dave
--
Pardonu, cxu iu cxi tie parolas la anglan? -Dr. Marcus Brody

I shaped the syrofoam on my little layout with the 50 grit sandpaper after doing the bug cuts with a knife and a hacksaw blade. It was a bit messy but the layout was in the cellar and it only took a minute or so to clean up with the shop vac. Then I covered the syrofoam by spreading that super light spackling compound with my finger, then I did the sandpaper again; 50 grit if needed, or 100 grit if I didn't want to make more major contour changes. It was easy, although I don't have the hard shell finish that plaster or hydrocal produces. If I drop something on the spackling it leaves a mark that take a few minutes to repair (not counting the drying time for the spackling, and paint).
Wayne
How about a stone border around a house to keep down the weeds or a rock garden?