Group moderator?

Is there a group moderator to cut out all of the political and sex crap that seems to have taken over this group? I'm all for a bit of political argy bargy but this is not the venue and there's plenty of sex sites for the frustrated losers who post the other trash.

How about just sticking to modelling? Is it so difficult?

Reply to
Gary Warwick

"Gary Warwick" wrote

Yes. Email snipped-for-privacy@remailer.privacy.at to complain.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

The unique thing about UseNet...is that there *are* no moderators. That is by design. Some people like it...some don't. In any case, it should be up to *you* to filter/edit the content you receive.

There are numerous of *very* fine modelling-related groups on Yahoo, that *are* moderated. Take a look at them. I am certain you will find several that cater to your interests. Most of these Yahoo groups

*do* stick to model building. Many of them, also will provide answers to your questions in a much more timely fashion, than the UseNet groups...despite being moderated. They also have the luxury of easily posting reference material, links, photos, videos, etc... within the "realm" of their group.

As for separating "politics" from "modeling"....I personally feel that is impossible, given that so much of our hobby is devoted to historical and political subject matter. If I found myself amid a group of people who did *not* steer the conversation to politics/history/current-events... I would *then* be "frightened"....as I would feel like I was amidst a group of people who cared little about such things.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Depends on the newsgroup. Some are moderated, most (including RMS) aren't.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

No moderator is needed when all that is necessary is to leave the unwanted headings unopened.

For some people, however, it is no more possible to leave a heading unopened than it is to not eat or drink.

Many of the OT threads are crossposts. Others are people who have little/no interest in models. Most are modelers presenting their opinon, just like some do at meetings and conventons.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Sticking to modelling is easy enough. Why don't we post our political "crap" elsewhere? My guess is this is one of the very few newsgroups where you can actually met a good majority of the posters, hence many are friends. Nothing wrong with a healthy debate among friends, right? Where it goes wrong is one people start calling you a "ninny" or a "retard" because of your views. I do get a little tired of the sex posts and other silliness that pops up from time to time, but that's what killfiles are for, right? Or, you can discriminate, by spending the fraction a second it takes to read the header. New threads are not so numerous that you have to spend an inordinate amount of time separating the chaff from the wheat. I do have to say that while rec.guns is moderated, and free from all "crap," it's not nerly as entertaining.

Reply to
Robert Skipper

[...]

We don't need no stinkning moderator! Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

The way I handle the privacy trolls is to just open the post, hit Message and then the "Ignore Thread" line. That clears most of the crap out of here. Tedious, I agree. I admit to being guilty of participating in the political discussions occasionally. I tend to get out when the language gets abusive. Some people forget they're supposed to support the rights of others to be public fools. This is, of course, referring to US politics as we seldom hear anything else.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Actually, there ARE many moderated newsgroups. When a group is first set up, it is set up as either moderated or unmoderated. The majority are unmoderated. Of the five groups I ordinarily look at, only one is moderated. Whether or not it is moderated or not depends on the support the original proposal gets in the voting process. BTW, creation of usenet groups is very democratic, and takes a vote of a fair number of votes.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

So who runs the moderated newsgroups?? Santa?? Easter Bunny?? Rin Tin Tin??

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns959BEEC5B2473Wereofftoseethewizrd@127.0.0.1:

Oh please did noone get it?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I got the reference. Now, where did you get a WRAF uniform to fit you?? :-P

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Now why didn't we think of that?

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Usually one of the group that starts the process rolling in Usenet. That is, the process to start a new group. It is quite a lengthy and involved process.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

unless you're a troll. sadly, newadmins don't rem garbage groups anymore.

I know - I hang out in news.groups and sometimes get involved in the creation of new groups. :-)

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi