group question

#1 why are there so meany rude people here all i did was post the pic i was
ask to show. i get this as a responce...
alt.binaries.models.scale
Dont come back here until you learn basic computer and internet / Usenet
courtesy.
-- Jim McLaughlin
is this Jim Mclaughlin the group owner??????????? if not why is he emailing
me to tell me not to post here? and better why is there not a set of rules
if posting a pic is not allowed??????? i do thank those of you nice enough
to tell me places to post the pics but this email was rude and uncalled for.
Paul
Reply to
Fisty Nickle
#1 why are there so meany rude people here all i did was post the pic i was ask to show. i get this as a responce... alt.binaries.models.scale Dont come back here until you learn basic computer and internet / Usenet courtesy. ---------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the group is open to all. Some have had a bad day and post things they might regret. Others try to be helpful and not say anything that is offensive. Don't let the comments of one person drive you away from the group.
History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:
Bill
I can tell you this. Binaries (pictures, JPEG, MPEG etc.) are not permitted on discussion only groups. rec.models.railroad is a discussion only group.
It is considered by most to be very bad etiquette to post binaries to discussion only groups and you are guaranteed to get called on it every time you do it or try to do it. Most ISPs filter binaries out of discussion only groups including mine. You can post them, but I will never see them, because they are stripped out and deleted by the news server. Not everyone has DSL or cable modems. Many still have dial-up and many of those still pay by the minute for time online. Most of them have no option. For many it is that or nothing. Those people can get mighty upset when they have to wait several minutes for a binary, that is not allowed in the first place, to download. I would suggest that if you want to upload photos that you post them to alt.binaries.pictures.rail I have posted model railroad photos there many times. Send a text only message to rec.models.railroad that the pictures have been posted in the binaries group and everyone who wants to go see them can. You get to post your photos, the people who are on dial-up and those who object to binaries on discussion groups don't have to contend with them and everyone is (should be) happy. As far as your comment regarding the rudeness of the post you received; well, not everyone is a diplomat. Take it with a grain of salt and try to understand that if you posted a binary you did break the rules, whether unknowingly or not. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you right now where to find the group rules, but there are some. There is someone who is responsible for chartering the group, who is, I believe, Urban Fredrickson. I haven't seen him around for quite a while though and do not know where he is.
Regards:
Captain Handbrake
Reply to
Captain Handbrake
Fisty=A0Nickle wrotez: #1 why are there so meany rude people here all i did was post the pic i was ask to show. i get this as a responce... alt.binaries.models.scale Dont come back here until you learn basic computer and internet / Usenet courtesy. ------------------------------------------------- This might be helpful, Rules for Posting to Usenet:
History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:
Bill
thank you for your info i have only just found these groups or whatever you call them. i have been on them for less than 2 months. i was just doing as i was ask. somone ask to see some of my work so i posted it. i did not think anyone would be so rude as to email me with stuff like this. here is his latest email to me.
Rude and uncalled for, sonny, is you and your gross inability to learn basic Usenet customs before you touch your key board.
Begone, little man.
-- Jim McLaughlin
being rude on here is one thing emailing somone to be rude to them is another i do not like either as i said before i was just doing as i was ask.
Paul
Reply to
Fisty Nickle
By the way here is the Email that i got about posting this in the first place...
Well if you are so good at Scratchbuilding why don't you post some of your work in thegroup for us all to see.
J.Z.
ok so there is the email i got what do you think??????????? as a newbee what would you have done??????????????
Paul
Reply to
Fisty Nickle
Jim has a senior citizens introductory computer class where he teaches people what not to do when using e-mail and usenet groups.
Reply to
Mark Mathu
The FAQ for the group is at:
KTØT
On Fri, 14 May 2004 04:07:24 GMT, "Fisty Nickle" purred:
That sort of thing is common on that group, which is why I don't bother with them. Believe it or not there are FAR nastier groups (programming and other computer tech ones can really be hostile to those who don't use the etiquette of the early days, including posting forms and trims). this group is only slightly rude at times though it gets SO sidetracked into politics it is hilarious that after all this time so many can't tell crossposted flamebait from legitimate posts. Admittedly one really should hang out in a group and see how they behave before posting so one knows what is expected and what to expected but there will be variances between groups (I moderate several groups and in some classic "netiquette" is a requirement while others are more casual). Like going swimming in a lake, it is always good to test the temperature before jumping in. So don't let the idiots ruin your enjoyment. The net can be fun but some places really require a flameproof suit and thick skin.
cat
Reply to
cat
Don't worry about Jim, Fisty. He has nothing in his life, so he has become the self appointed security guard here. Just block him in email as you would the guy that wants you to send him money or the ones that say you won the lottery but have to pay the tax up front. or the one selling you Viagara or penis enlargement. Say maybe that is Jim's problem, he tried the enlarger and it only effected his head. LOL
Reply to
<Will
He sounds like God's gift to teaching newcomers :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Another place open to all specifically for the purpose of posting MODEL railroad photos is my Yahoo list
Don
-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman
The user's rudeness aside, please avoid posting pictures. Bandwidth issues make this more than just a little bothersome for many users. But you are correct, there are nicer ways to integrate those that are ignorant of generally accepted newsgroup ettiquete. Sorry this happened to you, I suppose part of the problem is that there are so many uneducated users trying to make use of the net and some old timers get frustrated and take it out on the unsuspecting such as yourself.
Regards Greg
Reply to
Greg
Actually, I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned that it's also a breach of nettiquete to post attributed text of private emails received.
As tempting as it is to "get back" at someone who sends you something like that, it's also a no-no. Newsgroups are public discussions. Private emails are generally regarded as private discussions.
No, there isn't any "law" that says so. It's just the general agreement. Some will disagree.
It would have been better to post the text, leaving out the name of the sender, saying "this is what I received, what do you guys think? Pretty rude, huh?"
Email is email, newsgroups are newsgroups, and never the twain should meet.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"
Reply to
Mike Tennent
The internet seems to attract rude or otherwise deliberately mean people. I guess people in their daily lives avoid them, giving them lots of time to be on the internet to annoy strangers, LOL!
Kent in SD
Reply to
Two23
Unfortunately, you've managed to step in another cow-pie here: posting of private email is *also* against the rules. Some days, it seems one just can't do anything right :-/.
These days, I'm not sure where a newbie is supposed to learn about Usenet -- used to be there was a regular posting in news.groups (or someplace like that -- I've been around Usenet for ~13 years now, and I've long forgotten). However, automatic rudeness is really not called for.
Anyways, now you know.
-- Kizhé
Reply to
Lieutenant Kizhe Katson
[.....]
I've never heard of of Urban Fredrickson, but I assume you mean he was instrumental in the group's creation (ie. did things like: issued RFD, issued CFV, issued newgroup message...). This does not make him the group "owner", or in any way responsible for its evolution since its creation. Other than moderated groups, no one "owns", or has any other responsibility for, a Usenet group. This here's an anarchy.
-- Kizhé ("But I thought we were an autonomous collective!")
Reply to
Lieutenant Kizhe Katson
Exactly
I wasn't suggesting that it did, only that he was the senior Guru of this group. The man with all the answers and usenet savvy
Indeed it is. We've been over all that anarchy topic previously.
Captain Handbrake
Reply to
Captain Handbrake
Mean people are mean because they don't like themselves. Trying to be civil to them is a losing proposition. The best course is to ignore them. Maybe this Jim person is mean, maybe not. He might have just gotten a pine cone up his butt about something yesterday. Wait and see what tomorrow brings.
I was in SD last winter. It is so flat, that if you go up on top of the bank building in Sioux Falls on a clear day you can see mount Rushmore.
Captain Handbrake
Reply to
Captain Handbrake
More often then not, it's a simple case of "keyboard courage". People tend to say things on the 'net, safely hidden behind their keyboard, that they would never say to someone's face. That's one of my habits I try to follow: post as if you were actually talking to somebody. If you wouldn't say what you are typing to the guy's face, then don't post it at all. Very few people follow that... Sigh.
Paul A. Cutler III ************** Weather Or No Go New Haven **************
Reply to
Pac Man