Ebay and the state of machining

Ive been browsing Ebay...Ive been looking for a 12" Cadillac height gage...and of the 300+ items for sale...there are about (7) bidders.
And those are bidding on the .99c items
We are not doing very well in manufacturing...are we?
Sigh
Gunner
Add pictures here
✖

The economy is certainly one factor. In addition eBay's changes over the years have ruined it for me. I still budget the same or even slightly higher for new equipment I always have. Much of it used to come from eBay. Very little does now.
Karl
Add pictures here
✖

I checked ebay and do not see any .99 cent Cadillac height gages.
I see one $49 gage with bids.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw Êdillac+height+gage&_fln=1&_ipg I think that they do not sell, because they are obsolete.
I sold one (to a member of this newsgroup) for $99 three years ago, when the economy still was going well.
✖
Ignoramus15939 wrote:

I would tend to agree, I think auto tool length measurement has probably replaced most all manual tool length measurement and data entry. Even many HSM folks are using auto tool length measurement / touch off, and most HSMs don't have ATCs yet.
Add pictures here
✖

I started viewing other catagories as well. It appears that anything related to machining is simply not selling.
Im also rather fascinated by the prices....some of which have gone UP, rather than down. Im not sure why. Are the sellers simply trying to make a living off of each piece (mostly dealers) or have they given up on selling and are trying enmass to raise the price of items?
Like..come on..$275 for a verticle vernier height gage, without even a dial indicator on it...geeze. Ive been picking them up for $20 in the wooden cases...
Gunner
Add pictures here
✖
wrote the following:

I only buy stuff from eBay which is dirt cheap.

Bingo, they're trying to make a few years' living off each piece sold. I've never seen good deals on there. And I've never seen a mini-mill there (3 in 6+ years, IIRC) which didn't get listed for more than retail. Go figure. Sellers are vying for Rolls Royce price for Yugo items. Ain't gonna happen, except when you find some fool in "auction heat".

Can you say "eBay anteek"? I knew you could.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

Very simple. eBay reduced the price to list items (even if they do not sell) and raised the fees for sold items. So, people are responding by jacking up the prices and listing unsellable garbage. I despise all that and try to list as little on eBay as possible.
Want a 15 HP 230v Baldor H2 VFD (single phase capable)? Or a 3 HP Baldor grinder with dust collector and stand? Or a heat treating furnace?

You did not look deeply enough. I once bought an impact wrench for $45, that I sold for $1,500 (and likely it was worth more).

Fuck eBay.
✖
On Jul 12, 4:53 pm, Ignoramus23418 <ignoramus23...@NOSPAM. 23418.invalid> wrote:> Want a 15 HP 230v Baldor H2 VFD (single phase capable)? Or a 3 HP

Arooo? Heat treating furnace? Do tell...
Add pictures here
✖

How big or small? I'm looking for small.
✖

It is small, I would say 24 inches wide and 30 inches deep.
✖

What are the inside dimensions?
Wes
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 12, 5:23 pm, Ignoramus23418 <ignoramus23...@NOSPAM. 23418.invalid> wrote:> It is small, I would say 24 inches wide and 30 inches deep.
Range? Voltage? Price?
Add pictures here
✖

    Are those the external dimensions, or those of the internal chamber?
    I've got one (not for sale) which is about 12" or 14" on a side, mounted on steel legs perhaps 8" which has an internal workspace about the size of an anorexic brick. It easily makes it up to 1850 F in about an hour, and with an Omega controller settles down smoothly at that temperature with only about 1 degree F overshoot. It runs at about 7.7A from a 120 VAC line.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
✖

external
Cool, this one is 4 kW from a 240v line (1 phase)
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:53:00 -0500, Ignoramus23418

Your impact was a one-in-a-million chance. Auction lots that you buy are usually at better deals, when they're not outrageously overbid.
I've made 390 purchases on eBay and have been happy with nearly all of them, maybe 386. But I haven't bought any machinery. Only hand tools, books, gadgets, implements, software (new), hardware (new), and miskelelaneous household goodies. Damnear all of them were between 5 and 30 percent of their dollar value. The reason I don't buy from "dealers" is that many ask retail + prices on used crap. Some dealers take a wire brush to everything, spray paint everything, and sell it as a factory refurbished model in excellent shape. Screw them!

No, fuck elitist eBayers who gouge.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
✖

My impact was not the only one. I once bought a huge crate of Bridgeport stuff for $45. of course I did not have a Bridgeport then. TIG welder for $10.
Of course, eBay now works hard to kick out one-of-a-kind-item sellers like myself, so lately things were not as good on ebay.
On auction front, I recently bought a working Baldor H2 15 HP 230v VFD for $20. (just tested it 10 minutes ago).

Yep.
And fuck eBay who pushes out everyone else.
✖
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:35:54 -0500, Ignoramus15939

Right, and we've both worked very hard to find the great deals left on that venue.

I know, what DOLTS they are for that. The arrogant, silly asses are screwing the pooch, slaying the golden goose which brought them their fame and fortune.

Yeah, we can think that, but we still go back to 'em while we play out the love/hate relationship...until the goose's feathers are all that's left. <sigh>
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
✖
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:53:00 -0500, Ignoramus23418
How much?
Gunner
Add pictures here
✖

$350
I expect to get $500 on ebay.
Even 460v 10 HP H2 units sell for over $250.
And this is a 230v, single phase capable VFD.

✖
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:40:24 -0500, Ignoramus15939

Good price.

Good luck

Lots of buyers out there?
Gunner