Ebay and the state of machining

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:45:36 +0200, "Steve Lusardi" wrote the following:

expensive to be competitive with the Chinese. What

and short run ma & pa operations are long gone. They

NG. What do we have, 2 dozen regulars left? If you

I turn 57 next month.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm 25.

I've been 25 for 35 years now.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

In that case, I'm 80... I was born old and crotchety.

Reply to
Pete C.

Had to do the math since I forgot my age. 52.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Only components to repair legacy equipment.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

too expensive to be competitive with the Chinese. What

and short run ma & pa operations are long gone. They

NG. What do we have, 2 dozen regulars left? If you

I am 39.

Ignoramus23418

Very simple. eBay reduced the price to list items (even if they do not sell) and raised the fees for sold items. So, people are responding by jacking up the prices and listing unsellable garbage. I despise all that and try to list as little on eBay as possible.

Want a 15 HP 230v Baldor H2 VFD (single phase capable)? Or a 3 HP Baldor grinder with dust collector and stand? Or a heat treating furnace?

You did not look deeply enough. I once bought an impact wrench for $45, that I sold for $1,500 (and likely it was worth more).

Fuck eBay.

Ignoramus23418

I would think tat they could buy support equipment, like bench grinders, drill sharpeners, extra collets and chucks, machine parts etc. But as you say, not the "mainline" machinery and not critical measuring equipment.

Ignoramus23418

Arooo? Heat treating furnace? Do tell...

Reply to
SSM

A fortune 100-500 company isn't shopping Ebay unless there is something they need that is critical to the operation and they are looking everywhere to get out of a jam.

Our chucks are customs, we get product engineers from Sandvik, Kennametal, ect to trial their products in order to keep us happy or take away business from their competitors.

Now small shops, I'll call them mom and pa shops, they are looking for anyway possible to save a buck. The sole proprietorship is likely a good customer of Ebay.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

How big or small? I'm looking for small.

Wes

Wes

It is small, I would say 24 inches wide and 30 inches deep.

Ignoramus23418

Shucks, I've been married longer than that. :)

Our 42nd tomorrow.

Reply to
John Husvar

Somewhat over 60. I spent the hot afternoon wrestling a wet oak log

16" x 8' out of the woods and into the sawmill storage shed, and now feel like 80.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What are the inside dimensions?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Same here, as of last week.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Range? Voltage? Price?

Reply to
SSM

if you were successful, you should feel like 20

Reply to
Ignoramus15939

Are those the external dimensions, or those of the internal chamber?

I've got one (not for sale) which is about 12" or 14" on a side, mounted on steel legs perhaps 8" which has an internal workspace about the size of an anorexic brick. It easily makes it up to 1850 F in about an hour, and with an Omega controller settles down smoothly at that temperature with only about 1 degree F overshoot. It runs at about 7.7A from a 120 VAC line.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

too expensive to be competitive with the Chinese. What

and short run ma & pa operations are long gone. They

NG. What do we have, 2 dozen regulars left? If you

Hmm ... I guess that I qualify as a regular. :-)

69 until next April.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols