Ebay and the state of machining

And has a *very* active (and growing) killfile. (That's me. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

external

Cool, this one is 4 kW from a 240v line (1 phase)

Reply to
Ignoramus15939

too expensive to be competitive with the Chinese. What

and short run ma & pa operations are long gone. They

NG. What do we have, 2 dozen regulars left? If you

One place where CNC is really nice is in a lathe threading to a shoulder. Yes, I can do it on the manual lathe, and do from time to time. but the little CNC lathe takes the worry out of it -- and does metric threading or inch threading at the flip of a switch. And -- no need for a runout groove -- the tool simply retracts during the last quarter turn to make a nice taper to the end thread. It is especially nice when doing internal threads to a shoulder, though I do those on the manual machine as well. The CNC is a 5" swing, and the manual is 12". :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Likewise. I waste too much time on here as it is. Although, until I get the shop built, I can't do that much. My handicapped son's addition and my shop are submitted to the county right now. We'll see how it goes with the poa.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:53:00 -0500, Ignoramus23418 wrote the following:

Your impact was a one-in-a-million chance. Auction lots that you buy are usually at better deals, when they're not outrageously overbid.

I've made 390 purchases on eBay and have been happy with nearly all of them, maybe 386. But I haven't bought any machinery. Only hand tools, books, gadgets, implements, software (new), hardware (new), and miskelelaneous household goodies. Damnear all of them were between 5 and 30 percent of their dollar value. The reason I don't buy from "dealers" is that many ask retail + prices on used crap. Some dealers take a wire brush to everything, spray paint everything, and sell it as a factory refurbished model in excellent shape. Screw them!

No, f*ck elitist eBayers who gouge.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:26:13 -0400, John Husvar wrote the following:

Young fart.

Olde Farte. Congrats, John +1.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 13 Jul 2010 00:19:53 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote the following:

Amen to that.

And, DoN. You're not a regular, you're irregular. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I missed one last month for $32.25

Shrug

Because my existing Cadillac gage is 30" tall and weighs a freaking ton.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How much?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Prune juice will take care of that. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Doug Miller

My impact was not the only one. I once bought a huge crate of Bridgeport stuff for $45. of course I did not have a Bridgeport then. TIG welder for $10.

Of course, eBay now works hard to kick out one-of-a-kind-item sellers like myself, so lately things were not as good on ebay.

On auction front, I recently bought a working Baldor H2 15 HP 230v VFD for $20. (just tested it 10 minutes ago).

Yep.

And f*ck eBay who pushes out everyone else.

Ignoramus15939

$350

I expect to get $500 on ebay.

Even 460v 10 HP H2 units sell for over $250.

And this is a 230v, single phase capable VFD.

Ignoramus15939

Good price.

Good luck

Lots of buyers out there?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I will let you know what it fetched.

Ignoramus15939

Good luck!

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:35:54 -0500, Ignoramus15939 wrote the following:

Right, and we've both worked very hard to find the great deals left on that venue.

I know, what DOLTS they are for that. The arrogant, silly asses are screwing the pooch, slaying the golden goose which brought them their fame and fortune.

Yeah, we can think that, but we still go back to 'em while we play out the love/hate relationship...until the goose's feathers are all that's left.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Steve Lusardi" on Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:45:36

+0200 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

expensive to be competitive with the Chinese.

We're trying to compete with the Chinese on their terms. The US, last I heard, was still the leader in productivity: how much widget produced per hour/buck.

shops and short run ma & pa operations are long gone.

Manual shops, of all sorts (machinist, cabinetry, clothing, leatherwork, blacksmithing, etc), are on the decline, and those that are "doing well" are "boutique", otherwise it doesn't pay. Back in tech school, I was working on a "project" and talking with the instructor (A Manufacturing Engineer), said "If I was doing this for production, I'd set it up differently". But that is the difference between a production set up, and a one time knock off. The real problem (tm) is that far too many "kids" believe the only way to make any money is to go to college and get a Good Job. Maybe so, but good luck doing that. How many people dump 'the rat race' of the "good job" in order to go do something they like better. Remember the joke about the surgeon getting the bill from the plumber, and saying "I don't make that much an hour!" to which the plumber replies, "neither did I when I was a surgeon."

NG. What do we have, 2 dozen regulars left? If you

I'm 55, and I started in my forties.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich