Have you lost your aggressivness...your drive?

Seems the older folks get the better they can deal with stress, the less they panic, the less the are totally stumped, the easier it seems to think
your way thru(in our trade).
But the tradeoff seems to be...a loss of drive.
So I guess this is a poll(yuk)...
Have you (in your own view) lost your drive?
***************
I sure as hell havnt, but..I find myself daily reminding myself of losing that drive. Never had to think about it before. It was always balls out...no fear...now it's...oh shit how am I gonna do th....grrrrrrrr LIKE ALWAYS, Get agressive bitch!.
Just wondering if this is a natural part of this trade or am I burning out? And if I am burning out...what the hell do you do about it?

When you feel the burnout trying to get to you, ask yourself why you love doing what you do. Is it the competition? If so, who are you competing against? The guy next to you? The shop down the street? Yourself? I used to do it because I wanted to be the best. Then I coasted for a while, because I could coast and still machine circles around my coworkers. After noticing this, I refocused my efforts to try to set the best example possible for anybody watching. Today's awesome solution will be next month's old idea, so I keep striving for something better. I got over the "no fear" part, though. A healthy sense of fear keeps you whole.

Well after much thought, meditation, lol Iv'e come to a few conclusions:
The first one is I'm not losing my drive, seems the people working closest to me "have" lost their drive and it's depressing me. The daily waaa waaa bullshit has started to control how I feel. Seems it can't be ignored afterall, people pull you up...people pull you down, your a product of your souroundings to a point. How did I fix this?...since I work nights, I now go off on my own, pull the ole "Leave me alone".. lol Problem with that is learning from others is a bit hindered. Not good for the growth issue, but seems necessary.
Next thing was I had a toothache for like a year. I didn't realize how much I was being brought down by the constant nagging of pain till I had it yanked last week. Damn, I can think again..lol.
And the other thing is I'm just working too much. This trade is just too hard to be working these long spells at mega hours. Problem is...we all take it when we can get it, it's a recession...but it tears us up physically and mentally.
The best advice I seen here was stay in physical fit condition. Lifes a balance, we need physical and mental health...as well as skills. The first 2 used to get me thru when I didnt have the skills, but skills don't seem to be able to carry a screwed up brain and an unhealthy body these days.
Tonight...I drag out the dumbells(no pun intended)
Thanks to all for the advice to those who gave it.
vinny wrote:

The way it works for me is to exercise every day for about an hour under normal work hours. When I have to do a Herculean effort I just skip the hour and I have a huge reserve to draw from.

Very few people can do this, for sundry reasons. 'course, it depends on what's being done during the hour. What do you typically do in an hour? When?
Most of our culture is fundamentally incompatible with a meaningful exercise regimen, ergo all the bullshit and trickery you see in mags/TV.
We have been painted in an economic corner/lifestyle that actually excludes basic physiological requirements, such as a decent diet, meaningful physical activity, sufficient sleep, and instead foists mounting psychological stress on a hapless Pubic -- who copes via mindless entertainment, which just worsens the situation.
And there is also the issue of cause and effect.
Altho there is no doubt that almost everyone would enjoy markedly better health from a hour a day of vigorous exercise (and a rational diet), not everyone will see increased *productivity*, as said exertion may actually subtract from available energy reserves!
It really is a dicey issue of optimization, that varies from individual to individual.
But without a doubt, Merkins need to do more than they are doing exercise-wise, and more than the Dr. Oz "10,000 step" vagaries.
Optimal exercise/diet would virtually eliminate all conditions associated with the Big Pharm advertising blitz (ie, our litany of "lifestyle diseases" aka western disease), and cut drug sales by 95%.
Few agree with this (and certainly not yer doc), but then most docs don't understand basic science, much less physiology or metabolism -- too busy fighting with yer hmo, and finagling a new lease fer dey Benz.
If inyone doesn't bleeve me about docs, I can give you a few basic Qs (and the answers), and you can quiz yer doc. You will, or should be, floored by what you hear -- or don't hear.
The fact does remain, tho, that exercise is its own effing purgatory. goodgawd....
There is now a "walking desk", where you stand on a treadmill at an elevated desk, so's you can walk and work at the same time. I think Steelman or Steelcase makes it. goodgawd, it never ends. We are indeed becoming rats in a cage.
Somewhere in CA, the commute is so long, people actually get the bulk of their sleep during the commute! Mebbe they'll figger out a way we can exercise in our sleep, as well.
--
PV'd

Proctologically Violated wrote:

Mostly aerobic activity; running, exercise bike, swimming, stairclimber, ellyptical trainer, heavy bag. One hour of one, or two half hours of two of the above every morning. 3 evenings a week I have a dozen or so exercises I do on a bowflex that take about an hour to get through.

Come up here studmuffin--we'll each split a rick of red maple--whomever finishes first gets to bean the loser over the head with the sledge.

Bipolar Bear wrote:

Sounds like fun. It's a date. I'm going to retire somewhere it snows just so I can shovel it.

stairclimber,
two
Snow is for sissies--I suggest a several head of cattle instead...
( *REAL men shovel shit )

stairclimber,
two
in
it!!
Well takes practice, brains and patience to split wood, each piece must be individually visually studied and so on..
But yes my point was about good honest work and having something to show for it <not so much about brainless vermin running around on a treadmill>

Vinny, I think you just need to be held.....
Other than that, injections of HGH/testosterone???
With all due respect to Charlie's admirable rah-rah-rah, go-go-go, push-push-push, faster-faster-faster motivational stuff, man, dat shit gives me the willies.... and hives. I ain't building pyramids, yo.
I think that personal-best jive is basically a psychological con-job foisted on The Pubic to disguise the fundamental Ponzi scheme that "advanced cultures" find themselves rutted in. It really just benefits an ultimate few, with the rest of us tagging along for the ride and some effing affirmatory/social crumbs.
Fugdat.
Having said that, there is indeed the aesthetic of accomplishment, but.... at what price? And for whom?
--
PV'd

On Nov 16, 1:20am, "Proctologically Violated"

you speak the bitter truth

you speak the bitter truth
Yah he does...but... If you analize life without things "culture" or "instinct" force on us, all that seems left is trying to get that injection of herion our brains give us when we do whatever triggers an injection. Building stuff gets that injection in all human beings. And it tends to last a little bit longer than when you get an injection from say getting good news...or a good tv show. Sence of acomplishment is nothing more than your brain injecting heroin into itself and loving the feeling. My guess is you combine "cultural" training, like working hard just because your parents, friends, etc.. do, it's all you know, and that heroin injection at periodic times when finishing projects, or steps in projects. I say heroin because supposedly it's the same drug? I don't know the actual name.
Sence of acomplishment = drug induced.
Shame on all you drug users in here! lol
I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that "vinny"
alt.machines.cnc :

    Generally, it is in part because our "passions" decline. "This too shall pass" which experience teaches you about stress, apply as well to the other "passions". The highs are lower, the lowers are higher.
    With age comes wisdom - or so it is hoped. You've learned to pace yourself in all things. I thought, years ago, that perhaps what we call 'maturity' is more 'fatigue'. "Been there, done that, ... not fun anymore." Years later, I think maybe I was on to something. Whether my "drive" has burned out, or I've just decided that some things are no longer worth the effort, it is hard to tell the difference.
tschus pyotr
-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:24:22 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Very well reasoned. Bravo.
I find boffing a mother and daughter team doesnt hold the same thrill it did when I was in my 20s.
Now I find myself worrying about who is forced to sleep in the wet spots, and the effort of having to wash the sheets afterwards, and if they are going to be troublesom, wanting to use the bathroom etc as I take my first dump of the day.
Shrug
I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
-0800 in alt.machines.cnc :

    With age comes wisdom. Sometimes age travels alone. There are times, when faced with the choice of two evils, you chose whichever one will let you get to bed and get enough sleep.
cheers pyotr
-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:24:11

Ergo, the possibility of revolution is over. We have rolled over -- for the want of enough sleep, and the promised pittance of an effing pension. goodgawd....
--
PV'd

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that "Proctologically
11:28:45 -0500 in alt.machines.cnc :

    You can work hard, or you can work smart. Doesn't matter if you are machining parts, sweeping floors, or changing the government - you can work hard, or you can work smart. Working hard will get you by, but can you keep it up? Friend was a plumber for the Air Force back in his yout' (He was from "Pizzboig", spelled "Pittsburgh"). One day, they're cutting and threading (by hand) three inch pipe. The hard working guy - "new kid" - goes all out and in three turns of the pipe cutter has cut the pipe. John says "Now do that fifteen more times."
To rephrase it a bit: With age comes wisdom. Sometimes age travels alone. When you are 'young' and faced with the choice of two evils, go for the one you haven't done. (Usually said in the context of ... ah "embracing the sins of the flesh" - yeah, that's the ticket.) But when you get older, and with more experience, there will be times, when faced with the choice of two evils, neither one is new to you, so you chose whichever one will let you get to bed and get enough sleep.     Or as one character who shall remain nameless once said "Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one." -- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

If your sense of the word drive is failing to fight battles I'm going to lose then yes. Now I just let the kiddies know how things are going to play out and do my piece of the puzzle and get along.
Wes

Yep...that's experience. Having the ability to tell your boss how it's gonna end up in the end. Being young and gung ho means I will succeed no matter what, but that goes awefully wrong sometimes.