Combustable Rags etc...what do YOU do?

I really would be interested in what this group safely uses to store wasted combustable rags soaked in Varsol, mineral spirits, generally stuff that will self combust......... Please tell me how you insure negative combustion in a garbage can...THANKS....Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

I pass them out at the flying field as free clean up rags.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I don't store them. They go in the trash as soon as they are used.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Pssssst! It was a feeble attempt at a joke.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The fire regulations require that all oily rags be stored in a metal can away from combustibles with a metal lid atached. No O2 no fire. But they can still get pretty warm. Eddie Fulmer AMA 63713 20 years in the fire service.

Reply to
Efulmer

I lay them out over the railing of my deck until they dry out. As long as they aren't wadded up or put into a pile they won't self combust.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I don't use rags as such -- I use the industrial grade blue paper towels from Home Depot and they go out with the trash.

Cheers -- \__________Lyman Slack_________/ \______AMA6430 IMAA1564___/ \____Flying Gators R/C______/ \__Gainesville FL _________/ Visit my Web Site at:

Lyman Slack

Those can combust as easily as rags. Let them air dry before throwing them in the trash.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I was watching realTV the other day, and they showed a video tape of some guys who had a pickup load full of trash bags. It looks as if they were making money by running their own garbage collection company. However rather than disposing of it properly they were burning the bags in their backyard. The neighbor was taping it to bring to the police. One guy threw a trashbag into the fire and it literally exploded before it even hit the pile. It caught the guy and the pickup truck on fire. Serves them right.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Death sentence for all polluters? Can you say extreme environmentalist? I am so glad you folks weren't around in the caveman days.

Og has found new invention, I call fire. It will cook food, keep away the Saber tooth tigers, and make life more enjoyable. "Put that out right now Og, it will pollute the planet and cause massive holes in the ozone layer"

Reply to
w4jle

Maybe if you had evolved with the rest of us, you'd realize that I in no way said or implied death sentence for polluters. While I don't consider myself an environmentalist, I do think that it is wrong to burn garbarge in your back yard. Especially by people trying to make a quick buck doing it illegally.

I think even Og would have realized the difference between burning wood for warmth and burning something that puts out clouds of choking black smoke.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

The reply was tongue in cheek, didn't mean to get you panties in a wad...

Reply to
w4jle

It's been a bad week. A smiley face is helpul, or a .

Reply to
Normen Strobel

The only thing a sealed metal container does, is extinguish if it does catch fire.

All questionable rags should still be stored outside at night in a sealed container.

Reply to
Morgans

Thanks folks.... Appreciate the input from you all...reason why I asked the question is that I have a shop in the back yard that I use for building my planes and about anything other household chore that needs to be fixed.....It really freaks me out to leave paper towels (which I usually use) piled up in the garbage can...I have been laying them out in the garden outside... Since I don't want them blowing around the back yard, I think I am going to get an old 5 gallon steel pail and throw the solvent soaked towels in there and leave the pail in the middle of the garden (Perhaps put a steel screen over it to contain them and yet provide ventilation).... if it does decide to ignite while I am gone, all I will have is a bonfire for the neighbours cat to enjoy. Thanks again for all that replied....Jim Morris

Reply to
Jim & Lil

where they can ferment until trash day?

Reply to
jeboba

That is acutally a pretty good idea if you get lots of solvent soaked stuff around. Since I switched to Behr Latex I don't.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hey y'all. I have a 50 galon metal drum that I got from work. All my oily rugs I toss in that drum and once its about half-full I burn them,covering top of the drum so flames wont jump out too high.Works fine with me,police have no problems with it,and ,at my opinion, its mostly enviroment-friendly and safe way to dispose greased up rags. MittyMit

"Six_O'Clock_High" ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:9wFfb.2031$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Mitty Mit