What newsreader do you use...

...on a Windows platform and why do you like it?

...on a Windows platform and why do you like it?
Hi Bruce: Well, I'm using the one built into Mozilla Thunderbird. I don't particularly like it, but it is convenient as I use Thunderbird for my email. What don't I like about it? I haven't figured out how to "kill" a thread once the it has been hijacked. 8)     Best wishes,     Will
Bruce Sexton wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 03:34:49 GMT, Will Marchant wrote:

I've used Thunderbird a little since I have to juggle access between a Windows system at work and a Mac at home, and it's available for both.
Started trying out 40tude Dialog (http://www.40tude.com/dialog /) though and like it so far. Manages text and binaries group access pretty well. Haven't quite figured out the spell checker yet but just starting.
dLn -- Newsguy - http://newsguy.com
Will Marchant wrote:

Hit 'k' while a thread is selected. The icon on the side should show one of those crossed-circle thingies, and next time you open TB the thread will not show up. You can also setup message filters to automaticly ignore a thread when a certain person posts in it, but I think thats a bit overkill, as they might reply to a thread you don't want to kill.
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:13:20 -0500, Bruce Sexton wrote:

I use "Pan", a long-time favorite on the UNIX/Linux world; and now available for Windows as well. It probably has more features and options that all other newsreaders combined:
http://pan.rebelbase.com
--

Greg Heilers
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 04:09:36 GMT, Greg Heilers wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Had tried Pan years back when I was working with an older Red Hat system. Good to see they're porting it to other operating systems and give people some choices. Hard to find a decent reader on Mac OSX so it's nice to have another option to work with. Will check it out.
dLn -- Newsguy BonusBytes! - Free monthly rewards http://newsguy.com/bonusbytes.htm
I am using outlook express cause I have no choice, I am taking UOP and they require it.
-- TAI FU

Bruce Sexton wrote:

Thunderbird; because it just works, it's stable, it's not a system hog and it doesn't waste a lot of screen real-estate on garbage unrelated to what I'm doing with it (reading news).
I DON'T use it to read my email -- it can't import my saved email files. It tried and it just went out to lunch.
-Kevin
I used to use Agent from www.forteinc.com because it did a great job at organizing all the newsgroups that I subscribed to way back when. Now that I just check a couple of newsgroups, I use Outlook Express since I'm already checking my mail anyway.
Roy nar12605

Bruce Sexton wrote:

Bruce, I use Thunderbird. it works OK except for stitching together files broken across multiple posts (videos etc) in abmr. for that I just switch to LookOut, er OutHouse, er, you know ...
Netscape Communicator 4.72
Why? Because I like it and I am used to it. I use it for e-mail too!
Bruce Sexton wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:11:14 GMT, Jim wrote:

I liked the older versions of Netscape in general, prior to the V6 or v7 overhaul. I'm not a big fan of Netscape's newer user interface.
On a related note I always thought WinVN was a great reader. I can't use it as often as I like though. Some of the large groups and larger everything in the newsgroups these days can put it into orbit. : )
dLn -- Newsguy Bandwidth Blowout Feb-21-2006 http://newsguy.com/nolimits.htm
dLn wrote:

I'm running v7.2, but configured from a look-and-feel perspective to pretty much appear exactly like it did when I was running 4.x.
I use it for email and web browsing, and as a news reader.
...Rick
I'm a big fan of netscape as a browser, and have it configured to read e-mail as well as newsgroups.....
I also use a stand alone newsreader...... Free to use.. Xnews http://www.download.com/3000-2164-10144167.html

Xnews is nice and it's free. : )Reminds me a lot of NewsXpress that faded away a while back.
One neat trick on Xnews is the "Ctrl-Enter" shortcut. If you hit Enter over a group it will get all the headers. If you use "Ctrl-Enter" it will let you control how many and what range. Really handy for larger groups and haven't see that with other readers I've tried.
dLn -- Newsguy BonusBytes! - Free monthly rewards http://newsguy.com/bonusbytes.htm

Thanks for the tip, I'm interest to see how it works. I'll download a copy tonight and give it a shot.
dLn