What newsreader do you use...

...on a Windows platform and why do you like it?

Reply to
Bruce Sexton

...on a Windows platform and why do you like it?

Reply to
Bruce Sexton

Reply to
Will Marchant

I use "Pan", a long-time favorite on the UNIX/Linux world; and now available for Windows as well. It probably has more features and options that all other newsreaders combined:

Greg Heilers

I am using outlook express cause I have no choice, I am taking UOP and they require it.

Reply to
tai fu

I've used Thunderbird a little since I have to juggle access between a Windows system at work and a Mac at home, and it's available for both.

Started trying out 40tude Dialog

though and like it so far. Manages text and binaries group access pretty well. Haven't quite figured out the spell checker yet but just starting.

dLn

-- Newsguy -

dLn

Thunderbird; because it just works, it's stable, it's not a system hog and it doesn't waste a lot of screen real-estate on garbage unrelated to what I'm doing with it (reading news).

I DON'T use it to read my email -- it can't import my saved email files. It tried and it just went out to lunch.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I used to use Agent from

because it did a great job at organizing all the newsgroups that I subscribed to way back when. Now that I just check a couple of newsgroups, I use Outlook Express since I'm already checking my mail anyway.

Roy nar12605

Reply to
Roy Green

Hit 'k' while a thread is selected. The icon on the side should show one of those crossed-circle thingies, and next time you open TB the thread will not show up. You can also setup message filters to automaticly ignore a thread when a certain person posts in it, but I think thats a bit overkill, as they might reply to a thread you don't want to kill.

Reply to
John Bowles

Thanks for the suggestion. Had tried Pan years back when I was working with an older Red Hat system. Good to see they're porting it to other operating systems and give people some choices. Hard to find a decent reader on Mac OSX so it's nice to have another option to work with. Will check it out.

dLn

-- Newsguy BonusBytes! - Free monthly rewards

dLn

Bruce, I use Thunderbird. it works OK except for stitching together files broken across multiple posts (videos etc) in abmr. for that I just switch to LookOut, er OutHouse, er, you know ...

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Netscape Communicator 4.72

Why? Because I like it and I am used to it. I use it for e-mail too!

Bruce Sext> ...on a Windows platform and why do you like it?

Reply to
Jim

I liked the older versions of Netscape in general, prior to the V6 or v7 overhaul. I'm not a big fan of Netscape's newer user interface.

On a related note I always thought WinVN was a great reader. I can't use it as often as I like though. Some of the large groups and larger everything in the newsgroups these days can put it into orbit. : )

dLn

-- Newsguy Bandwidth Blowout Feb-21-2006

dLn

I'm running v7.2, but configured from a look-and-feel perspective to pretty much appear exactly like it did when I was running 4.x.

I use it for email and web browsing, and as a news reader.

...Rick

Reply to
Rick Dunseith

I'm a big fan of netscape as a browser, and have it configured to read e-mail as well as newsgroups.....

I also use a stand alone newsreader...... Free to use.. Xnews

Bill

Thanks for the tip, I'm interest to see how it works. I'll download a copy tonight and give it a shot.

dLn

Reply to
dLn

Xnews is nice and it's free. : )Reminds me a lot of NewsXpress that faded away a while back.

One neat trick on Xnews is the "Ctrl-Enter" shortcut. If you hit Enter over a group it will get all the headers. If you use "Ctrl-Enter" it will let you control how many and what range. Really handy for larger groups and haven't see that with other readers I've tried.