What do you do with them?

Hi folks.

The largest rockets I've built & flown have been a few Aerotech, NCR kits, (An un-flown 6.0 PML Ult Endeavour) and a couple of my own 3-4inch scratch on (3 & 4x29mm) G clusters. All were given away a few yrs ago.

As I crank things up again and start venturing into HPR (The real deal) I was wondering.......

What do you guys do with your larger rockets? Where do you keep them all? A bloody warehouse!!! I'm sure they would take up more than a single room in your house? I mean the HPR monsters? Some of you must have built 100's of them...... millions maybe......:-)

Cheers, Clint

Reply to
CJC

two and three car garages are the norm here... ;-)

Reply to
bullpup

Basement, garage, deck, livingroom.

The real deal: KSC, Baikonur, ESA, Virgin, etc. anything less is a hobby.

Randy

<randyolb

Heh heh heh..... I'll let you know when I'm firing off that S motor project... ;-)

Reply to
CJC

For a while I was storing big ones assembled in the living room. I have a 14' ceiling in there. Right now they are disassembled in the garage. I keep small ones in the basement.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I usually end up keeping mine on top of the clouds. Less storage hassles that way.

mike

Reply to
Janine and Mike

Fly them as often as possible?

The garage works well -- I suspended nylon webbing between bicycle hooks on the garage ceiling, and store large rockets that way.

Oh, I wish I had a room for rockets!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Although my biggest to date is a 4-inch diameter, 9-foot tall critter... all of mine are stored in my apartment. I don't have the luxury of a basement, garage, or attic, so I have to make do with what I have.

In a way, they're as much furniture as flying machine - I have one that sits on top of my stereo speakers, another that accentuates a bookshelf... you get the idea. :-)

Once my latest projects are completed... a 5.5-inch two-stager and my 7.5-inch Level 3 cert rocket... I'm going to have to do some shuffling to get enough free space for them. After all - I have less than a thousand square feet of usable space... and a lot of that is taken up by chairs, tables, TV stand...

Reply to
Len Lekx

maybe......:-)

In my case, I just fly 'em until they either get lost, destroyed or worn out. Although I've built a lot of rockets over the years, I don't have a ton of them at any one time. I keep some in my garage/workshop, and some in my upstairs office. My organizational system, both for rockets and everything else, is best described as "packrat/clutter". :)

Currently I have two rockets standing in a corner of the stairwell,

2=2E6" diameter and 4" diameter. There's another 2.6" rocket leaning against the wall, and a couple of 1.8" rockets lying across the top of the grandkids' playpen.

In the garage I have a box which is used to store and transport several more 1.8" rockets, boosters, and misc parts such as interstage couplers. Then there's various other rockets and boosters lying around at random. Plus some debris from crashed rockets which I'll pick over for salvageable parts before discarding.

=B7

Reply to
raydunakin

Child abuse! :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sounds more like rocket abuse!

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Naw.... Ray believes in starting them youngsters off the right way, the rocket way :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
nedtovak

Well Jer,

I don't think he would have them loaded for flight. ;)

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Reply to
CJC

Give the kid a SU 24mm F100 to gnaw on for a couple of years to "cut their teeth on" and then have them fly a K on their 3rd birthday :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Somewhere I have a photo of Rachel inside a piece of LOC 7.5" tube. She was probably 6-8 months at the time.

Bob Kaplow

Child abuse! :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

W. E. Fred Wallace

Heheh! Actually the real danger is rocket abuse. The playpen is unoccupied except when we have one of the younger kids over, and then I have to put my rockets safely out of reach.

(
Reply to
raydunakin

Nah - he's just starting an interest in rocketry at an early age...

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett