Mr Asch (and/or others) a benign question

Mr. Asch, (and/or others)

Is there a better group system that you use instead of rec.crafts.metalworking? I remember it as a great Usenet choice, but times have changed.

Google are now making me sign in just to read any postings and that sucks when I just wan to do a quick search.

You seem to be a sane and logical fellow so I figure if you are using a better group without google demands and all the Political clap-trap here, then that's what I need to use too.

Thanks

Walt

Reply to
Woodworking Smarter

R.C.M is a usenet group - it doesn't "belong" to google; google is just one of many usenet providers. Google users get a free, no configuration required, web based interface to usenet.

An alternative to google would be to obtain usenet service from a different usenet provider - but this requires more effort on your part.

Some providers charge a fee for their service. I'm paying giganews, my usenet provider a small monthly fee. There are also free usenet providers (eternal september for example); the quality/reliability from the free providers can vary quite a bit; but eternal september seems ok.

In addition to having a usenet provider, you would need to choose, install, and configure a usenet client (also called a news reader) on your PC/phone... whatever you use. Examples: Forte Agent, Thunderbird, others.... I'm using a old, no longer supported client called 40tude Dialog. I like it because it has excellent filtering - but getting it to run in Windows takes some extra care.

Once you had everything set up, according to your usenet provider's instructions, you use your news reader to connect to their own servers where you can download messages to read, and upload your replies. If you did post, your message goes to your provider's server first, then your message is propagated to the rest of us around the world.

The details related to getting things set up will depend on which provider, and which news reader, are chosen.

Reply to
Bill

On 5/29/2018 4:53 PM, Woodworking Smarter wrote: > Mr. Asch, (and/or others) > > Is there a better group system that you use instead of rec.crafts.metalworking? I remember it as a great Usenet choice, but times have changed. > > Google are now making me sign in just to read any postings and that sucks when I just wan to do a quick search. > > You seem to be a sane and logical fellow so I figure if you are using a better group without google demands and all the Political clap-trap here, then that's what I need to use too. > > Thanks > > Walt >

Some of the forums are ok, but some are a little tyrannical too. Youse pays yer nickle and youse takes yer chances.

I use Thunderbird and AIEO to read this group, and the K key is my close personal friend.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hahahaha!

Ok, thanks for that comment. I was going to write a reply to your well thread but now I won't bother.

If your comment was serious then you might want to take a look at this.

Many entertaining "mr asche" quotes, no metalworking.

Reply to
Janglin

Hey Wieber, if I were in a mental hospital, at least I'd be sleeping in the same bed every night. As opposed to being a deadbeat who hilariously claims to make $75 an hour, yet sleeps in his truck half the time.

BTW, the bed in my new house is the nicest I've ever had. King size, custom base, foam mattress with memory foam topper. Super comfortable, looks nice, and no matter how much movement on one side, none on the other. And no squeaks. A substantial piece of cabinetry that took me about three days to build. You get to do without because like so many things I spent my time on, you preferred to be on Usenet telling lies instead.

Copy and paste the list you ridiculous liar. You can't, because as everyone knows you pull these numbers and stories out of your ass. Same as the 265mph motorcycle story, the 2/5/8 years deputy story, the

1/4/8 years democrat story, etc.

I've used jaques and gardner. That's all your friends and family? It's a different mocker who uses your facebook names to good effect. And it's typical Wieber incompetence that you can't tell the difference between the names of your friends, and song-title nyms.

I take it that you didn't like me posting the Wieber Cliff notes. Boo hoo. Some good advice: when you're caught lying, stop telling lies. Of course, my preference is that you continue to ignore ALL good advice. It's more entertaining that way. In fact, we're due some new stories about dumpster diving and rent arrears etc. Sure, your pity parties don't work like they used to, but if at first you don't succeed...

Reply to
Janglin

Woodworking Smarter on Tue, 29 May 2018 16:53:16

-0700 (PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Google has changed it's motto from "Don't be Evil" to "What is Evil? - you post, we'll decide."

They;ve totally broken the search feature for Usenet archives, and their other search results aren't always useful.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Millions of us miss the sh*t out of the DejaVu search site that google ruined. What they did was nigh onta criminal.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, duckduckgo is as much like Deja News as popsicles. Larry can't remember the name of the service and you don't know what he's talking about anyway. LOL

Reply to
Janglin

Used a bunch of my contacts too. what a "dick"!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What a horrible thing to say.

Reply to
Jeffrey VanRensselaer

Nope, only used the ones I said. I told you I use song names almost entirely. That's the truth and you're a goddamned stupid liar for saying otherwise. And why should anyone be surprised that you're a goddamned stupid liar, or that you beg to be called out, considering that you're friends with Wieber, the most obvious and ridiculous goddamned stupid liar I've ever heard of.

Reply to
Mayla

LOL I take it Jeffrey is one of Gardner's friends. Watch out! He might post your headers, the Usenet equivalent of lightly slapping a glove in your direction. Damn, I remember when he was supposedly one of Wieber's hit squad. How the "mighty" have fallen.

Reply to
Mayla

Tom Gardner on Fri, 15 Jun 2018 06:45:06 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Good fortune for me, guy I met in technical school. Instructions are "Call Carlin, tell him he has first dibs, and he can do with the rest as he sees fit."

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

If only they could learn how "manual skill sets" could enable them to take 264mph motorcycle rides, get behind on the rent, and sleep in their beater truck half the time for decades, eh Wieber?

Reply to
Mayla