[F-FT] I joined TRA

I realize that the vast majority of folks won't care about this, but I've publically made statements spanning a few years on this forum that
I haven't joined TRA because NAR meets my needs, and because I was somewhat concerned about past problems with TRA.
In recent months I've had occasion to travel to a few different 'large' launches that have, in the main, been hosted by TRA prefectures. As an NAR member I've been welcomed with open arms at each and every one, and it's now at the point where my guilt for not supporting TRA has overwhelmed by previous concerns.
As part of the 'joining' process, I also became concerned that one of the requirements was that one agree to abide by the TRA bylaws. Given the past years of discussion/concern, I emailed and requested a copy of the bylaws.
I received a copy within hours, and all questions that I asked were answered in a brief and expeditious manner -- and all answers met my expectations quite satisfactorily.
Because of the apparent ongoing problems with the HPR magazine that TRA offers, I decided to forego that for the moment - but as of now I am a member, and will do my best to work (in whatever minor ways I can) to continue moving TRA forward (a direction that I believe it is heading, by the way).
Please note this is a flame-free thread, so if anyone would like to participate in any commentary about this in a calm, non-name-calling manner, please do so -- but take the nastiness and flamewars to the thread down the hall.
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

I should perhaps clarify and state that as of now I have submitted my application -- but I fully expect to be accepted as a member.
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

Welcome to TRA. New blood is the sustaining life line.
Fred Wallace
Welcome aboard, David!
I forget if you're certified, but if you include a copy of your NAR card with the application, TRA will give you the same cert level (TRA cards are only sent once a year, even if you go from level 0 to level 3)

Well, lot's of folks say I'm certifiable, is that the same thing???
Seriously, I wasn't sure if that was the case, but I did include a photocopy of my NAR card with the application, so hopefully it will be transferred through (and I did email headquarters to give them a heads-up that it was with the application).
David Erbas-White
AZ Woody wrote:

Doing this wasn't a problem in the past for me. I joined TRA when I had a NAR L2 and sent a copy of my NAR card. I think you'll still be getting the TRA binder, which is a 3-ring notebook with a bunch of stuff in it. (including the "3 part cert form".
As someone else mentioned, join the TRA list server. Lots of good info there. I'd guess that if you sent a scan of your TRA card, they'd allow you access sooner than your number can trickle to AU. That's where the list server is located

Same here. I faxed a photocopy of my NAR card and TRA sent my card "Level 3"

I spent a good week trying to join the TRA list server. They/it would not let me in. I guess it's because I'm also a "NAR weenie".
Doc
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA
Doc wrote:

That should be all it takes; when my wife joined, we just included a photocopy of her NAR card. When I joined NAR, I sent them a photocopy of my TRA card.

Hmmmm... I'm betting on an email address mismatch, but this is easily resolved. Check your email.
-Kevin

I suppose it could be, but it doesn't make sense. After I received my membership package and card, I saw that I was supposed to be able to join the list serve. I sent in the email as outlined, with my membership # in the message body. I received an email saying I "can't join the TRA list serve". I figured that perhaps it was too soon, so I waited another month. I tried several more times and it kept denying me. After awhile I figured if they don't want me, I don't need them. That was over two years ago. No big deal. I'm still a TRA member.
Doc
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

:)

Hey! Don't be snippin' the rest! :-)
I also said "I'm still a TRA member."
...and will continue to do so. The "no big deal" comment was in reference to the list.
:-)
Doc
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

Jerry will snip anything from anyone to make it support his side of a discussion. No one is special enough to escape it.
Doc wrote:

But the rest is inconvenient, and therefore ignored.
The list membership (as you are aware, but others are not) is getting resolved.
-Kevin

the
serve".
It's a technology issue Doc, you have to send wilkins or kevin a request. the email you are getting is the list server auto bot.
their list server's software is not the brightest crayon in the box at this time.
AlMax wrote:

The two rejections I saw were because the name of the list wasn't specified -- the server runs multiple lists, so it doesn't know what you want when you tell it "subscribe", so it provides a generic response.
There may have been other issues; those are the only ones I personally saw, and once that was addressed, both joined without a problem.
-Kevin

They don't discriminate against weenies. Also just because you are a NAR member doesn't mean you are a weenie. I think of it more as a personality trait. Right Shockie?

Perhaps, but on many occasions I have heard TRA members call NAR members "NAR Weenies", just as an overall derogatory term.
Doc
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

Yes they have. I might even be guilty of it but IMO it's only intended to offend a subset of NAR members - not all. In fact I can only thing if a small number of them. They are a 'special' kind of whiner. There are a lot of good people that are members of NAR.

My goodness, what a mature, erudite manner of creating friction between groups. Nicely rationalized, as well. Intentionally insult "a subset" by insulting an entire organization.
So, just what is it that comprises an "NAR weenie"? Small rockets? An attention to safety? Just what could it be?
IMO, the fact that this sort of ad hominem is uttered, and is apparently considered acceptable, indicates some serious problems. I personally will have nothing to do with an organization that condones or promotes backbiting.
Weenie OClassen NAR 13578 L1