[F-FT] I joined TRA

Doc wrote:

More likely just some technical glitch. There are other NAR weenies in TRA.

You are probably correct.
Drake "NAR Weenie and proud of it" Damerau
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

I may not think much of him, but at least I spell his mname right. Kelly. One "E".
BTW, I've been flying rockets since 1964, just over 4 decades and personally know (or knew) every one you mentioned. I was never a member of RRS nor have I been to Black Rock.
BTW^2, do you have a name, or just a foul mouth?
This is a country which stands tallest in troubled times, a country that clings to fundamental principles, cherishes its constitutional heritage, and rejects simple solutions that compromise the values that lie at the roots of our democratic system. -- Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1972
Hi Dave,
Lurker-Daemon = false;
Only because you and I were both graduates of the same rocket class ...
David Erbas-White wrote:

GUILT ... THANKS for being MAN enough to say it. HPR for YEARS was put down, dragged through the mud by NAR people. "red-neck" rocketry they would call it at launches. I would grind my teeth and work very hard from not slapping the little NAR nerd who would spout that crap ... I wrote letters to NAR BoD in the late 1980s and 90s requesting that they support High Powered rocketry, and all I would receive was BS about safety with PROVEN BP A-D motors, and how anything above a G would cause the end of NAR's acceptance into schools, churches, boy scouts and the like.
NAR turned its back on High Powered Rocketry, so I turned my back on NAR and have NEVER looked back!

TRA people are far far FAR more concerned about their public image than NAR ... and has been the case from the very beginning. TRA folk understood early on that we were taking the risks and getting and the attention; pro or con. I have been to MANY TRA events, and ALL of them have been ran with the utmost professionalism, where as NAR launches get away with soooooooo much crap its scary most NAR sections are allowed to even fly where they do. Point is that people are far more willing to take risks, and do take risks with an A8-3 or some B4-4; where a TRA person flying a K1500 WON'T. I have seen "play things" flown at NAR events ... things that were obviously unsafe, but everyone wanted to see the silly thing fly ... they wanted to CHAD stage a C6-0/D12 cause it was cool ... rocket goes up a few feet, CHADS, then goes horizontal ... wow that was fun ... "cool", the cheers come in. A RESPONCIBLE TRA member would never be so careless or cavalier with a high power motor and I have YET to see anyone at a TRA launch do so. A TRA man or woman understands the responcibility they have taken upon themselves ...

Dave, just have FUN, responcibly. Screw the damn magazine, just have fun flying with TRA. You will find that we aren't into, 'I'm smarter than you cause I was able to clone the Alpha decals just right ...', or 'I was able to use 1mm thick mylar compared to your inferior 2mm mylar for parachute duration ...'. Just have fun, ad think BIG :) Yes, you will find arrogance with TRA ... just bring a bigger rocket to the next launch and get your RESPECT! ;=} LOL

Nope, glad to have you in the family.
Lurker-Daemon = True;
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:36:52 -0700, David Erbas-White

Welcome. You will find as I did - it's not a bad organization. You made the right descision on HPR. Be sure to join the TRA forum.
Phil Stein wrote:

Which is located... where??? Thanks!
David Erbas-White
Nevermind, found it on the website -- but unfortunately it requires a TRA number to subscribe, and says it will take 3-4 weeks for a new member once that information is sent in. So I probably won't be able to join it for some number of weeks yet.
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:00:26 -0700, David Erbas-White

Under Documents, Misc on TRA website. http://www.tripoli.org/documents/tra_forum.shtml

Understatement.
Thank god!

TRA should follow its own rules in every detail or change them AFTER they have FIRST followed them.
Past non-followings and/or punishments should be reversed/expunged "with prejudice".
In short, forgive and improve.
I have NO faith that will happen BTW.
Jerry
(snip for brevity's sake)
Very nice explanation. I joined both groups right off the bat as I wanted to support both of their efforts to fight the government. Also I got addicted like crazy to launching again and have a nice range 2 minutes from my house I can do G or less launches from. I wasn't aware of the "hot" politics that was going on. I hate to give the appearance of blind appeal to authority but if Daves' serious inquiries were addressed to his satisfaction, it makes me more comfortable being in both groups. I have a "secret" desire to do certifications in both groups just for fun and satisfaction. If there are problems, not joining or leaving a group accomplishes nothing. It takes persistence and perseverence to affect change. One has to keep in mind though that any group is a "tyranny" of the majority.
Kurt Savegnago

(snip for brevity's sake)

Surely you joined for some other reason. NAR and TRA are not the NRA.. I doubt that the NAR and TRA combined would be on a top 100 list of groups fighting the government.
Alan

Point.
400

I agree that both groups combined would not be on the top 100 list, however...
If everyone that flys joined both groups, it would give the appearance of a larger group. There may be only 5000 flyers total, but all 5000 in two organizations gives the appearance of 10000 flyers. The bigger our numbers appear, the more power we might have to affect change. That's why the NRA has so much power. Sheer numbers. Every one of those members represents a vote in an election, and that gets the attention of the politicians. If every member of the NAR and TRA joined both organizations, and signed up three or four friends (straw-man memberships, or better yet, sign up all your wives, kids, brothers, sisters, and friends) into both organizations, that would increase the number of voters that the politicians see in the combined group. It may not get the Patriot Act and the Explosives Act shot down, but it might draw more attention from those (expletive) politicians...
Just something to run up the flagpole...
James L. Marino SAS, LUNAR, TCC, AEROPAC, NAR #75764 L3 TRA #9489 L3
(@ @) ----o00-(_)-00o---- Will Work for AP

If we are 5000 or 10000, we're still a political fly on the wall, to be swatted when we annoy someone.
If we want the appearance of clout we need to change our name from the National Assn. of Rocketry to the National Rocketry Assn., or the American Assn of Rocket Propulsion.
"To enslave men, successfully and safely, it is necessary to have their minds occupied with thoughts and aspirations short of the liberty of which they are deprived. A certain degree of attainable good must be kept before them." Frederick Douglas, "My Bondage and My Freedom," 1855
I like it, Bob! The NRA and the ARRP. Now, THAT will get their attention!
James
writes:

the
all
bigger
http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
attainable
Uh, that should read AARP. Brain fart.
James
writes:

give
American
have
and
On 2 Jul 2005 07:33:01 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Good one!
TRA can change thier name to National Rocketry Assasins. NAR can become the American Association of Rocket Propulsion.
Alan
hahahahahaha
shockie B)
writes:

Bob Kaplow wrote:

LOL!!

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:50:55 GMT, "James L. Marino"

If you're going to do that, why not just donate the $70 fee to the legal fund?
Eldred