Newbie needs help buying balsa

Hi guys,
I'm new to this hobby. I've been contemplating it for a while by
finaly decided to start.
Anyway, I am intersted in building micro flyers. I signed up for the
"Radio Control microFLIGHT" news letter and would like to start
buiding some planes.
At this time, I'm not very much interested in flying them (I'm in the
process of purchasing a trainer), just really building them.
I've downloaded some of the plans and read some of the articles but I
can't find any information regarding what I should by for wood to have
a small supply at home to get started. Ideally, I would like to have
a small quantity of balsa sheets and sticks at home as to not run into
a rainy day and not having the necessary wood to work on a kit. I've
also searched for a "beginer's balsa stock" but can't find anyone that
sells an assortment like that. Ideally, I would like to keep from
buying ridiculous amounts of sheets and sticks of wood just because I
had no idea of what to have around the house.
Does anyone have any tips on that?
Any input is greatly appeciated.
Thanks.
Captain Brazil
Reply to
Mario Mendes
Too easy.
Figure out what wood you need for your first project, and bump it 50%.
Do that on your first half-dozen projects.
You'll wind up with a stock of previously-used shapes and sizes.
In the process you'll discover which way you want to go.
I never met a piece of balsa I didn't like. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
Reply to
Fred McClellan
On 12/23/2003 3:50 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:
What Fred says is quite true. Since you are looking into micro-flyers/electric, I would make one other suggestion - get 4 - 6 lb (also called Contest Grade) balsa. It is a lot lighter than regular balsa (8+ lbs average), but also a LOT softer. I have had excellent results with Lone Star and Superior. The quality is very good to excellent, service is great and shipping is fast. Be advised that most of the balsa suppliers have a $25 minimum (plus shipping) on WOOD, other items USUALLY do not count toward the $25 minimum wood order.
Reply to
Ted Campanelli
Some of the commercially-available plans contain a bill of materials that detail what you need to buy. It's a shame that all plans don't come with them!
Morris
Reply to
Morris Lee
I would call the good folks at Superior Balsa and tell them what you want to do and let them make suggestions.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh