Basic manuvers

Can someone direct me to a good site that has a list of the basic manuvers for RC aircraft and a description of what they are. I hear the names all the time but I really don't have an idea what they look like. One of the RC mags features 1 manuver a month and they have a really good picture and include the necessary stick inputs to complete it (I forget the one I saw it in first, but Backyard Flyer had the same picture with the same mistake a month later, so it's whoever their parent magazine is).

Also, what should I be working on with my trainer (TH 40) before I move to a second plane? I can do loops, rolls, inverted flight, and snap rolls right now, what else should I be trying?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve, I've just gone through the same thing myself. I realise you are probably not in Australia or interested in this class of flying but take a look at the rule book at this link: OH NO THE SITE IS DOWN.

You'll find most of the more common maneouvers covered here with excellent diagrams and explanations. Most of these are well within the range of most trainer aircraft.

Hmmm, no expert here. I just transitioned to my second plane. I could do quick rolls, loops, cubans, immelmans, inverted, and split S. Even on my 2nd plane I still go back to my trainer to practice these (more comfort, less risk, less to lose if things go real bad).

Email me for a copy of the rule book I referred to, it's in PDF format.

Reply to
The Raven

- go to the "Training" page, then click "Aerobatics" at the top, then on the next page there's a series of links for different maneuvers.

What you should be trying to do is do them well. That is, you should be trying to fly back and forth on the same line with each move performed right in front of you, with a different reversal move at each end - ie. procedure turn, 1/2 cuban, reverse 1/2 cuban, immelman, hammer head etc which brings you back onto the line.

You need to ride the throttle on all looping moves to maintain constant speed, you need to ride the elevator to make your loops perfectly circular. In a similar way, you should be trying to make your rolls as axial as possible, with a little down stick half way through to maintain altitude when inverted. The goal with rolls is to be able to do multiples while maintaining altitude and line.

Forcing yourself to do nice, clean, controlled aerobatics separates you from the stick-flickers.

Reply to
Poxy

G'day Poxy

Thank you for the links; especially the

Just in time to solve a problem I am having with a new model.

DN

Reply to
nignog1

see also , Aerobatics, Pattern, F3D & TOC 2002 news etc.

1996 Pattern Sequences with K-Factors and Orientation noted 3D with Mike McConville Ed's RC Pattern Page opening Giant Scale Aerobatic List Grotto 2, R/C Pattern "The web's longest running R/C pattern page". IMAC sequences International Miniature Aerobatic Club RC New Zealand - skins for realflight PBG Composites & Team New Zealand - TOC 2002 NSRCA - Pattern Pages NSRCA Trimming Chart Stall and Spin + many other aerodynamic forces *** RC Aerobatics for beginners (see downloads - recommended) *** TOC 98 to Tucson 2005 News/Results

at Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Thanks, those are some great sites. Animated pics of the planes doing the manuvers, very helpful!!

I'll try to work on getting the moves a little crisper before I move on I guess. I can get through them now but they don't always quite end where I plan them to...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Try here.

Ken Day

Can't really provide and websites, but I think that there's a Harry Higley book that covers this.

My personal suggestion is to go to the AMA or MAAC

and check out what the required items are for Sportsman or entry level Pattern.

Rather than trying to learn every possible maneuver, concentrate on the ones needed for Sportsman.

I'd also check out the local Pattern contests and get your hands on the flight sheet.

Have fun and watch out for the 20-foot-radius diameter loops from an

18-foot entry....
Reply to
byrocat

Did one of those a couple months back. I had installed one of those stronger double legged front landing gear after having to straighten out the old one after rough landings and never really getting it to track straight. I juuuust barely clipped the ground pulling out. I think if I had still had the old one on there the firewall might've survived....

Oh well, it was a good excuse to convert it to a tail dragger...

Steve

Reply to
Steve