3rd Plane

I'm looking for a suggestion on what my 3rd plane should be. Earned my wings on a Unionville Hobby Cricket high wing trainer....moved up to a Sig Mid-Star 40....I'm now doing split s's, rolls, loops, flying inverted, etc and feeling quite comfortable about it. Any suggestions for my 3rd plane ?? I'm not really into 3D flying.....more into general fun flying.....looking to move up to a more powerful engine rather the OS .46 I'm currently flying.....I see alot of flyers flying Caps and Edge models...I wouldn't mind something with a little more snap on the aerobatics but I don't want to spend a whole lot of $$...I'm also thinking ARF this time as my last two were kits or rebuilds after crashing...:)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Lerner

I've been flying a Great Planes Shoe String racer and its my favorite flying plane so far. It's an ARFand I'm using an OSFX 61for power. Not unlimited power but enough for me. Its a very cool looking plane and GP did a real nice job with it. I did very little modifying, just triangle stock on the fire wall and beefed up the landing gear. Its IMAA legal, and it costs @$200.00. Jeff

Reply to
RCFlyerNYC

Try a biplane. There's plenty of 40 and 60 size ARF's or you could build one. Great planes Skybolt is a good aerobatic bipe.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Take a look at the Goldberg Tiger II. There's an ARF version for around $160. Build it up as a taildragger (see Tower's tech notes on what's needed), and you will love it.

Reply to
Roderic Don

DON't GET THE ARF! Mine was so tail heavy that it took 14 oz in the nose to ballance with a K&B .40. Flew like a dog.

Roderic D> In article

Reply to
RW Guinn

I think the bi-plane idea is a good one or how about a 90 size plane ? The ST .90 can be had for $150 or less and is decently reliable and pretty dam powerful. The SuperStunts 60 from

(or
) is a great fit and an excellent bang for buck. Even with the extra cost of some better servos it may not cost even a $100 more -vs- a standard .40 ARF outfitted plane PLUS it's a 80in wing ...its big ! You said youre not that interested in 3D but I'd check out the FunWorld 3D too. My 2nd choice would be to build a .90 Kaos if youre thinking about precision (pattern) aerobatics. I know its not a kit but Im just trying to keep the "but I don't want to spend a whole lot of $$" thing into the equation.

Reply to
DamienEloi

Add to that the Goldberg Ultimate. The kit is so easy to build you can put one together in not much more time than it takes for some ARFs. Flies great, too!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Try the GP Extra 300 ARF with a Saito 72. This is a great combination and will enhance your flying skills. The plane will do anything you are ready to do, with the exception of 3D.

Reply to
Dvagge

I flew mine with a Saito 56 Four Stroke, with NO balance problems. Configured as a taildragger the ARF flew great, it was extremely aerobatic, and stable enough to slow down for those tight touch and go landings. I used it for all of my funfly events last year, and took 2nd place.

As a trial test I fitted my Saito 72 to the front of it and it flew like a bat out of hell. It was fun for those vertical take offs. But after a few landings the heavy engine broke the nose of the plane off. The tiger 2 has a lot of lightening holes and there are only 4 small strips of lightply that hold the weight of the engine. After a little glue and fiberglass reinforcements I put the 56 back on.

Unfortunatley the radio went south in it the day before our first funfly this year and went into the ground at 50mph. I was thinking about getting the Tiger 60 ARF, but decided to try the UltraStick instead. In some ways I wich I had gone with the tiger again.

FYI, the tiger 2 makes a good 2nd plane as well.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

You could also try a big delta wing like the Vortex or a Balsa USA Enforcer. I loved my Enforcer with the SuperTiger 60 on it. It had to be going well over 100mph, and looked like the Space Shuttle on landing approaches.

So many planes, so little time.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

| You could also try a big delta wing like the Vortex or a Balsa USA Enforcer. | I loved my Enforcer with the SuperTiger 60 on it. It had to be going well | over 100mph, and looked like the Space Shuttle on landing approaches.

I've got a Balsa USA Enforcer, bought it used from a guy in Houston. It certainly turns heads at the flying field!

It's got a Saito 120 on it -- way overpowered. And unfortunately it's really hard to find decent pusher props for it -- in theory it should be able to fly well over 100 mph with this engine, but I'd need a

13x13 prop or so to do it. Instead, it's got a 3 blade 14x7 which is ok but far from optimal. I could reverse the engine, but that's not a trivial matter.

Pictures at --

It's neat with all the power, and it sounds *awesome* with the 4 stroke and the exhaust going into the prop, but it's kinda boring to fly -- it doesn't really do much. It rolls beautifully and does nice loops, but not much beyond that.

| So many planes, so little time.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Or you could try a SPA3D for about uh... 15 bucks and still use your OS 46.

Ed

Reply to
Edward Cameron