OS.48 4 stroke plane

Just noticed that I have an OS .48 4-stroke laying around. What would be a good plane to put it in? I was thinking about a tweaked Sig LT-25 but wouldn't mind something a little sportier, any ideas?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Well Dan it would fit real nicely in my Duraplane T40! BTW, what do you think of the OS 48? Is the OS FS-52 much of an improvement? I'm thinking of getting one some time in the future. RCSuperStore.com has it for $179.99:

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

The power to weight ratio (fairly low by modern standards) and low RPM make this engine a good candidate for a biplane or just about any Pre- WWII aircraft. Stick to something that flies "on the wing". If you are looking for a Sunday flier or something easy to build, a Super Sportster

40 or Sig 4 Star would be very good flyers with it. Not much out there that's going to set the world on fire with that engine, but that's not always what we're looking for, is it? Of course, any 40 size trainer or sport plane would be pulled along at a reasonable pace. Take advantage of the torque and use a high diameter/low pitch combo to get a good climb rate and forget about speed. Makes for very smooth loops, too. Looks like a pattern plane in slow motion.

If you are looking to scratch build, I've got an issue of RCM or MAN (about 8 or 9 years ago) that's got a Uravich 40 size Fokker DVII. Look for the plans online. Great flying plane and catches everyones eye on the flightline.

In an ARF, take your pick GP Texan, easy sport, stik, or Sportster 40 Goldberg Skylark or Tiger 2

The suitable list is endless in this size, so long as you keep the wing area on the high end of the 40 class.

Reply to
John Alt

My vote would go toward some type of "Stik" variant like a Hangar 9 Super Stik .40 or a Thunder Tiger Tiger Stik 40. If you really wanted a wild ride, you could pair the O.S. .48 FS with a Great Planes Viper or Lanier Predator, assuming you have a radio with v-tail mixing.

Let us know what you decide on, I'd be interested to hear!

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I have one in a Telemaster 40. Perfect for this plane since it's a slow, lazy flier. Sweeeeet!

Morris

Reply to
AeroMutt