Villiers 4 stroke

I have just been given a Howard Bantam rotavator with a Villiers 15S OHV 4 stroke engine - about 2 HP I should think. Can anyone point me in the right direction for an exploded diagram. I have an old (1961) Villiers manual for 2 strokes, that also shows a similar carb to mine, but the rockers ain't moving, so summat's up with the cam I reckon (valves aren't stuck), I suppose its geared to the crank, but before I start a stripdown I'd like to get a look at the diagram, so any suggestions gratefully received.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

Where's your sense of adventure gone, you'll know what it looks like once you take it apart

---------------------------

---------------------------

Reply to
Kevin Steele

John, As a restorer of stationary engines I can describe it for you, the cam shaft is geared direct onto the crankshaft and once you have removed the head and barrel it will be easy to see the problem.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Thanks Martin, seems like I have to remove these to diagnose then. If you know anyone who needs access to info on the two stroke engine gear units marks 9E 2L 31C & 31-34A then I have a manual, tho' I noticed quite a bit on the web about the two stroke bike engines.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

Fair point- but I was rather hoping there might be a little inspection port under all the gunge, & I'm anxious to get to play with my new gritblaster on the rest of the Bantam! Having said that, both the dishwasher & the tumble dryer have packed up this last week, so apparently these have a higher priority, if I want any grub this week - I hate working on these bloody things- all self tappers & sharp edges & silly plastic clips yuchh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

It's pretty much the same inside as the Mk10 and Mk12 engines, but the little pushrods and valves are really small so be careful with them.

The camshaft gear and cam are in one piece, but the crankshaft gear is keyed onto the crankshaft itself. I have seen a two-part camshaft but not on the Mk15, and I do have some new Villiers spares if you get stuck.

The crankshaft gear is a tight fit on the crank so I can't see anything making that come loose, so it does sound like a mechanical derangement :-((

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi John, You can download a Mk15 manual (free) at

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

John,

You will find a manual and parts list for this engine on

You will need Adobe Acrobat to read it. I have just checked and it has exploded diagrams etc, just what you need! I had one of these engines and it ran well, apart from getting the ignition properly timed, flywheel needs to be TIGHT or the timing is likely to slip. The rockers won't be moving, just be careful nothing is seized as when you turn the engine over something might break ! Best of luck! David

-- Stationary Engines Scotland

out for the Spamtrap !

---------------------------

---------------------------

Reply to
David McC

Perfect!! Thanks Paul, & others

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

---------------------------

---------------------------

There is a club called The Vintage Horticultural & Garden Machinery Club. Try their site at

John

Reply to
John Manders

Have a look at

where you can hire/borrow manuals

Reply to
clive

If you want to know what it'll look like after it has exploded, there's a much easier way!

Reply to
Joe landy