2 stroke versus 4 stroke engine

Hi - just a basic question for the group. Whats the basic advantages of using a 4 stroke engine versus a 2 stroke engine? I have a 64" trainer that is currently engineless and need to know if I can just put in a 4 stroke type. The plane is advertised to handle either. 4 strokes are obviously more expensive but what advantages to they bring.? Do they burn regular unleaded gas? Thanks ahead of time...

Reply to
Newbee

If its your first plane and engine, I would go for the 2 stroke. Much simpler to run and maintain. Your basic 4 stroke burns pretty much the same fuel as a 2 stroke. Pros and Cons other than that could be comparing apples and oranges. Generally, a 2 stroke engine is easier to mount on a plane due to carb positioning vs a 4 stroke. Go for the 2 stroke for now would be my non-expert advice.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Read this.

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

Great info.. Thanks!!!!

Reply to
Newbee

4 strokes sound like WWI planes, 2-strokes sound like WWII planes.

They are all loud greasy and smell interesting, if you like that sort of thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Regular gas? No. They still use normal glow fuel.

There really isn't an advantage to using one over the other. It's mostly a personal preference. Some people like the putt-putt sound the

4-stroke makes versus the high-pitched whine of a 2-stroke.

In this day and age, the differences between 4-strokes and 2-strokes as far as fuel economy, torque, weight and overall power aren't that drastic. 4-strokes used to have lots of torque, but signifigantly less horsepower than a comparable 2-stroke. 2-strokes used to have very little torque, but lots of horsepower compared to a 4-stroke. Nowadays, 2-strokes and 4-strokes of similar displacements will turn the same size propeller at comparable RPMs. 2-strokes still like to use smaller propellers and rev at higher RPMs, and 4-strokes are more comfortable with larger propellers and RPMs under 10,000, though.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I use the same glow fuel in both 2 & 4 stroke and they work fine. I like the 4S since it makes less mess to clean up after a day of flying. (I used the Mag .52 4S on my LT-40 trainer and it worked great). But, be aware that some 4S engines have the carb in a weird location and it's hard to get a push-rod setup that's made for a 2S to work right. Just about every trainer ARF that I've seen has the push-rod tube/holes installed for a 2S carb. Rich

Reply to
Sand57