Newbie - Xtra Easy 2 Question

I'm a complete newbie looking to get into the hobby. I saw this RTF kit at a local hobby store. It comes with the JR XF421 radio and the "new" Evolution Trainer engine. I've done a quick search on this topic and it seems that the plane is a pretty good trainer - how about the new engine? Is the radio a good place to start?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

This is a great trainer, good radio, and great engine combo. Have a friend who just bought one, and I helped him assemble it. 4 flights on it now with no problems so far. His instructor, who hates any pre-built especially ARF's can't rave enough about how the plane performs. Had it up in 30+ MPH winds last Sunady and it's stable as a rock. A excellent choice for a trainer. As for the props, yes they are a bit expensive and brittle, but they do allow the plane to fly a bit slower, (great for new pilots), and cut down the noise quite a bit. If the replacement cost bothers you too much ($7.95CAD) ea, switch to a 2 blade 11X6 Master Airscrew at the expense of noise and flying a bit faster. Buy it, you won't be sorry. A pic of the completed model can be seen at . Bottom row of thumbnails. Cheers, Tom Thunder Bay ON Canada

Reply to
Thomas & Erin Skoropad

Jim, I have the original Xtra Easy and it is a very good trainer. I replaced the engine that it had in it which was a MDS40 with a TT46 which is a better performer and a little bit more power. I felt the 40 size engine was a little under powered for a windy day and the 46 with a 11x7 apc prop works great. The one thing that you may want to invest in is maybe a buddy cord which will allow you to do the buddy box deal. If no one has another JR box you can always purchase a quattro box without a crystal and that can be your buddy box for around 40-50 dollars. To me that was the better way to go instead of passing the box between the instructer and the student. John

Reply to
John Graham

Great setup for a beginner. The engine is very user friendly. The plane has had great reviews. I have helped someone with the Alpha trainer, but haven't seen the Extra Easy in person. Good luck.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Forgot to mention that there is a good review in the latest RC Report magazine. It will give you some help while you put one together.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb