Paint for gas powered plane

I need to paint a plane that will be powered by a gasoline engine. Seems to me that most paints are not resistant to gasoline. A few decades ago I would simply have used Hobbypoxy or K&B epoxy but I don't think either is available anymore. I want a gloss finish and preferably available in small quantities at reasonable cost. What do you fellows use?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega

Actually, Ed, most paints ARE resistant to gasoline, but NOT glow fuel. I'd use a good poly-u myself.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

On 7/21/2003 9:31 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

If you are using a GAS engine (not Glo Fuel), use latex house paint. It can be custom blended to ANY color you want for about $10 a quart (most hardware stores - i.e. True Value, Ace, ect). Make sure you let the paint "cure" for about a week before using it. It will take about 60 -

90 days for a "full" cure. Until you get a "full cure" handle the plane carefully as you may leave a fingerprint or two if you press too hard. After a week, latex is GASOLINE resistant (provided you remove any residue in a REASONABLE amount of time - don't go flying and then clean the plane a week later). RCM had an article on this awhile back. If you do a search through the articles in RCM or do a search on RC Universe on latex paint, you should find the article.

If you are using Glo Fuel, you can use the same paint, BUT you will need to "clear coat" it with an OIL BASE poly (MinWax) for protection to ABOUT 20%+ nitro - Water base poly is only good to ABOUT 10% - 15% nitro. You can also clear coat with "Krystal Clear" by LusterKote.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Hi Ed. Use Exterior Latex paint, it is gasoline proof. That's what I'm using on my Stuka. It's not necessary for gasoline but you could put a clear gloss coat on top. How are you planning on applying the paint, do you have a paint spray gun?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Ed, you know Herb's got a stash of Hobby Poxy, it's in a box somewhere in the Hangar. Not sure if he's got the color you need or whether it still is any good.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Marine 1 coat epoxy,

Reply to
Bousch

Reply to
Ed Smega

Bright orange house paint is probably non existant. What cleat gloss is going to be gas resistant?

Ed

Normen Strobel wrote:

Reply to
Ed Smega

What brand do you use and how much do you have to buy? I did go to a marine store and looked through their paint section and didn't see anything appropriate. If I had a specific brand perhaps they could get it for me.

Ed

Bousch wrote:

Reply to
Ed Smega

PolyUrethane

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Reply to
Roger Guinn

Reply to
Ed Smega

There's a house in town that's bright Purple and another is Pepto Bismal Pink. So some brand makes wacky house colors. Try Lowes, I heard they have a computer color match system.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Ed, I don't know about the exact colors but I do know the Home Depot folks (and I have been told the Lowe's guys are better but I have not tested it) can usually match almost anything in Beher latex. When you are finished, shoot

3 coats of Minwax to seal and provide the gloss coat. It worked on the last 2 birds I built and stands up to gas and 10% glow.

They need a sample that can be put into their machine so they can get a great match.

Good luck

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Ed